Talk

Advanced search

Copper coil and mooncup... Posting for traffic

(34 Posts)
Labyrinthian Wed 18-Jan-17 11:25:34

Not quite AIBU! I would like to get copper coil, don't like hormonal contraception, don't quite trust condoms.... But finding out about mooncup has been amazing, really made a huge difference to my life... So my question, is the suction/ cup a problem for the coil? Could it dislodge? And how would I even know, I really do not want to get pregnant.

anniroc Wed 18-Jan-17 11:29:23

I don't really understand what you mean, as you don't have periods with the coil (just quite a lot of spotting at first ). I've had mine in for six months now. Insertion was, erm, interesting, but it's the best thing ever if you previously had heavy periods like me.

Labyrinthian Wed 18-Jan-17 11:39:05

My understanding from everything I've read is with the copper coil periods should stay as normal (maybe slightly heavier). I think it's only Morena coil that you don't have periods with as it's hormone based. (Nobody i know in real life has copper coil or uses a cup so I'm struggling for real life info!)

BiskettiBollockNose Wed 18-Jan-17 11:39:15

I used both no problem for 4/5 years. Though your periods are VERY heavy with the copper coil. Moon cup was my saviour.

RuggerHug Wed 18-Jan-17 11:42:10

Eh I've been seeing a lot of things recently on how you shouldn't use both together because of the suction. confused
The reason I remember when it won't affect me is I laughed a bit too much when I saw it posted as 'public cervix announcement'blush

xalyssx Wed 18-Jan-17 11:46:31

I use both together and I have never had any problems. I talked to a nurse about using a mooncup when I had it inserted and she said that it would be fine.

imustbepatient Wed 18-Jan-17 11:50:35

I use both, never had a problem and am really pleased with the ease with which both deal with these otherwise annoying aspects of my life!

leedy Wed 18-Jan-17 11:52:14

I've heard about the suction issue potentially dislodging coils as well (and have a copper coil), though I know people who've used a cup with coils no problem. Presumably the risk would apply to all types of coil, not just copper ones, though - it's not like the hormonal ones are velcroed in...

Labyrinthian Wed 18-Jan-17 11:54:10

Thanks everyone... I know some places offer a scan at time of insertion to make sure it's in the right place, worth doing this? It's a lot more expensive than GP insertion (I'm not in UK). I'm still wrapping my head around not physically seeing it working (that sounds stupid but at least with a condom you KNOW!). I'm worried it's inserted and won't work/ will move etc

lylasmam2012 Wed 18-Jan-17 11:55:24

Check out an Irish Blogger named Rosemary MacCabe - she posted a snapchat story recently about how her mooncup sucked out her copper coil at the weekend!

anniroc Wed 18-Jan-17 11:55:30

Ohhhh. I would still suggest that you think about the Minera as I've had no problems with it.

ComtesseDeSpair Wed 18-Jan-17 11:56:31

I've used both for the past 6 years, no problems. The doctor who inserted mine did advise against using the Mooncup for my first period after insertion as if your body's going to reject the coil it's most likely to be within the first few weeks and the suction could possibly help it along. But other than that, it's fine.

Also, my periods only got slightly heavier for the first few months after I had the coil then went back to how they'd always been.

Emmummums Wed 18-Jan-17 11:57:06

I had a copper coil which worked effectively for six years (supposed to work for ten) and then I fell pregnant with it still in. The only change I made during those six years was that I tried to use a moon cup just before I fell pregnant (only managed to insert it twice and it got badly stuck the second time). I believe that the suction shifted the coil and caused me to get pregnant as I cannot think what else it could have been. So I can thank the moon cup for my lovely daughter who is 13 months now but I will not be using a moon cup again as I like the coil but don't want any more children (at the moment anyway).

welshgirlwannabe Wed 18-Jan-17 11:57:43

I have always used both with no problems. If the cup did manage to suck out your coil (sorry!) Wouldn't you see it in there? They're not so tiny as to go unnoticed.

I've never heard of it happening though

welshgirlwannabe Wed 18-Jan-17 11:58:53

Ah cross posted. Yes I guess it can happen then!

middlings Wed 18-Jan-17 12:01:39

anniroc with the copper coil you do still have periods. They can be really heavy. I've had mine for over three years and I definitely still have them. It's the Mirena coil that stops periods.

Labyrinthian, despite having quite heavy periods, I have gone back to using pads. Since having the DDs I weirdly find them more comfortable. Does mean very frequent trips to the loo in the first few days but it works for me.

You can feel the strings which is how you know it's still there. I think in terms of placement, once it's in, and stays in, you're good.

Honestly though, since I do still have a cycle, and it's relatively regular, I do tend to try and avoid DH when I'm ovulating! Just in case......

FunnyBird Wed 18-Jan-17 12:03:17

I had the copper coil fall out twice while using the moon cup. Didn't notice it go the second time. Just checked for the drivers and couldn't find them. Ultrasound scan confirmed it was gone. Not terribly reassuring contraceptive if you can't be sure it's still there, I thought. I think it was the mooncup and the heavy periods.

middlings Wed 18-Jan-17 12:03:54

Emmummums, I was talking to a GP recently who told me that he likes to change the copper coil after five years....I really really really don't want any more children so I'm planning to do that. It's a shame as it was a horrible faff to get it in (ended up being done by a family planning consultant) and one of the things I liked about it was that it was going to last for 10 years.

Emmummums Wed 18-Jan-17 12:24:01

That is very interesting middlings. I think I will do that too! I have just had a new one fitted and I had a scan to make sure it was in the right place as the strings seemed very long.

muddyboots Wed 18-Jan-17 12:32:45

I didn't use my Mooncup for the first few months after having my copper coil fitted to let it 'bed in' but I use one now. I'm just mindful of properly releasing the suction and not just pulling it down in a rush.

thecapitalsunited Wed 18-Jan-17 12:41:14

When I had my copper coil I was advised by the doctor fitting it to use pads for the first six weeks or so when the risk of it coming out is highest. I've had the coil for seven years now. I always make sure to break the suction before I remove though so reduce the risk of it getting sucked out as I had heard of such things happening before I got my coil.

Just a thought though - I had been using a mooncup for over a year before I got my coil, maybe it's not something to start trying to get to grips with after a coil when inexpert use might cause problems?

Girlwiththearabstrap Wed 18-Jan-17 12:55:14

I used a moon cup with my mirena (one of the very few people whose periods didn't stop with it!)... it ended up coming out, and the advice I got from the GP was that I should avoid using a moon cup as the suction could cause it to move.

DancingHouse Wed 18-Jan-17 12:57:51

I used a mooncup which pulled out the copper coil so I got a mirena instead which stopped the periods and no need to use the mooncup.

JudithTaverner Wed 18-Jan-17 13:07:19

I use both and have been ok , but was warned that the mooncup could suck the coil out. I've been fine though. My periods were heavier for the first 2 months but have been fine after that.

Emmummums Wed 18-Jan-17 13:46:23

I agree with the comment about being inexperienced. It may be the case that it would not happen to someone used to using a moon cup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now