Talk

Advanced search

To think some people are born to work for themselves?

(21 Posts)
People1pleaser Wed 18-Jan-17 09:20:29

I have always had a burning desire to work for myself. When I was at uni I used to set up little sideline businesses. My parents told me when I leave it is much better to get a job at a big company that is the best way to be successful. None of my friends ever talked of self employment. So off I went into the world of work and was totally miserable. I then met a friend at my last job who set up a business in his spare time and eventually left the company and I was totally inspired by him. I then found out I was pregnant and had a little boy, I thought now is the perfect time to become self employed. However along came twins and I just never found the time. They started school in September and I wanted to start a business I had an idea for but my dh said it's better to have a reliable income when you have a family so I have gone back to work in something similar (office based HR school hours). I have an idea for a business and could potentially work on it evenings and a bit at weekends. I've always had a desire to be self employed and am just not happy working for someone else. Does anyone else feel like this? My father was self employed I think I may have inherited the bug. But I'm also a people pleaser so never follow through with what I want to do. I need to work out a way to go for it without sacrificing family time/money, or somehow earn from my idea very quickly.

Manumission Wed 18-Jan-17 09:22:39

Yes definitely.

What are you waiting for?

OneWithTheForce Wed 18-Jan-17 09:25:40

yes I have always assumed I will be self employed. Maybe because my dad was? Not sure but I've just never made it happen. Lack of confidence and no idea what I actually want to do. Terrified of being a complete failure. So I stick to my 16 hours on minimum wage because the hours are good for DC school times hmm

Cakingbad Wed 18-Jan-17 09:25:48

Yes.
I'm the same.
Do it.

ImperialBlether Wed 18-Jan-17 09:26:35

Definitely. I know my son will be much better self-employed. You sound highly motivated, OP - I'd make a start on it if I were you!

Cakingbad Wed 18-Jan-17 09:28:22

Is your Dad still alive? If he had his own business would he help you start up?

EssentialHummus Wed 18-Jan-17 09:32:41

I did this - worked at one great company after another but somehow didn't feel fulfilled, and got a bit resentful of other people planning my time. I started a little business that I ran in the evenings and weekends, which grew slowly. I left work a year(ish) later. That was two years ago, and I'm still self-employed, and much happier than I was employed.

There's no need to build an empire overnight. Write down some simple steps you can take each day/week to progress things, and follow through.

People1pleaser Wed 18-Jan-17 09:35:05

Yes he is still alive, I think he is the only person that "gets it". Although he said it's better to work for a big company and work your way up. I think I'm surrounded by people including dh that constantly try to put me off and put my ideas down. But this longing to do this will not go away. I wish I had been brave enough to be self employed straight out of uni, but there's nothing stopping now so it's not to late I'm only 30, just everyone's negative attitudes in real life are bringing me down.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 18-Jan-17 09:36:02

Yes, me! I'm a good employee in some respects - I put the hours in, I work hard, I do a decent job and I get on with people. I'm never especially happy working for someone else though.

I would try to start up your business whilst still in paid employment, if possible. As I'm sure you know it can take quite a while for new businesses to become profitable.

What sort of work do you want to do?

People1pleaser Wed 18-Jan-17 09:36:08

Essential hummus. That's really inspiring! What gave you the push to get started?

FetchezLaVache Wed 18-Jan-17 09:36:39

Give it a go, OP! I love working for myself and don't know how I would cope if I had to go back to paid employment. Sounds like you can easily give it a whirl without giving up the safety net of your current job just yet. Good luck! smile

DJBaggySmalls Wed 18-Jan-17 09:36:57

I need to work out a way to go for it without sacrificing family time/money, or somehow earn from my idea very quickly.
Thats going to be the tricky part. If you need the security of a regular income then its possible that self employment isnt suitable, unless you have a fool proof idea. It can be very difficult if you are a lone parent.
You will probably have to start part time alongside your regular job.

EssentialHummus Wed 18-Jan-17 09:40:03

That's really inspiring! What gave you the push to get started?

I was a lawyer before, and I felt that it wasn't going to be easy to make it compatible with family life. I then took a job at a firm where I was a bit miserable, and that spurred me to get on with it. I also badly wanted to work in my pyjamas.

derxa Wed 18-Jan-17 09:42:07

I worked for other people most of my life. I wasn't a particularly good employee. I now run a farm as did my father before me. I think it's in your blood. Get on with it.

Manumission Wed 18-Jan-17 10:54:44

If FT work doesn't leave you enough hours in a week to grow a business, could you go PT?

Would 3 days a week of your current job keep you afloat?

People1pleaser Wed 18-Jan-17 11:04:27

I could drop to 4 days (school hours) I think as we are not busy on Fridays and one other lady in the office has done this. I'm I could make that money up doing anything while I built the business up I could do that. Even just ebaying, car booting might make that one day of wages up. And I'd be happy to do things like that, I even prefer carbooting to my office job as I'm doing for myself. I earnt £100 a week doing car boots last summer.

People1pleaser Wed 18-Jan-17 11:05:51

Thanks for all the positive ideas, it's really nice as everyone in my real life is so negative, especially dh. It's making me miserable.

amispartacus Wed 18-Jan-17 11:09:10

I work for myself. It is great and I love the flexibility. But at the same time, I am responsible for everything. Marketing being the buggy. I worry a lot about things but the good thing is no one telling me what to do.

It is great though. I miss full time work colleagues but I enjoy doing something I love and knowing that I made it happen.

museumum Wed 18-Jan-17 11:09:10

I don't think people are born to be employed or self-employed, but I do think that attitudes around us can contribute to whether or not we feel safe being self employed. It is riskier. I am currently self employed but have also had a long history of employment in the same field. I think the key is surrounding yourself with others with similar ambitions and challenges. In your case maybe online? Look up the talented ladies club on Twitter/online and search for local events on eventbrite supporting entrepreneurship or business startups, there's loads of support out there if you go looking for it. I work in a shared office with lots of startups which helps to normalise the challenges we all face and we share tips and knowledge.

RebelandaStunner Wed 18-Jan-17 11:17:37

Me.
At the moment I do both, part time job and business.
The job is ok but I love the business. The passion for it just seems to come naturally.
Hopefully one day soon the job will go.
I think DD could be the same.

lelapaletute Wed 18-Jan-17 11:33:22

Have to express a bit of sympathy for the other half here - while it's great to 'follow your dreams', if he is the one who would be bringing in a steady wage while you are setting up the business and waiting for it to turn a profit ( you say you work PT so I'm assuming he is already the main breadwinner) I can understand why he would be nervous - that's a lot of pressure to take on! No excuse for him talking you down or undermining your confidence, but possibly he needs more reassurance that this idea is a goer that stands a good chance of yielding financial results (a lot of small businesses never get to that point).

You don't say what your business idea is or how you've pitched it to the husband. Have you done market research at all, or a financial plan (say 5 year plan) to show how soon you could reasonably expect a profit? What are your startup costs and where aren't they coming from?

I don't know your relationship at all, and if he is being unfair and undermining you, you should just leave him anyway. But if he is just pointing out that the potential pitfalls in such a risky plan, and you don't want to hear it in your desperation to work for yourself, then that's another matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now