Talk

Advanced search

To want to return this pregnancy test?

(25 Posts)
SharkiraSharkira Wed 18-Jan-17 04:35:22

Last month dp and I had a contraceptive failure blush

Anxiously waiting with baited breath for enough time to pass so I can find out for sure, no period has arrived (although may be a little early), and I'm peeing 10 times an hour (only slight exaggeration) and this morning woke up to be sick with no reasonable explanation!

I'd bought an early testing kit, did the test but it didn't work sad As in no control line in the window etc, I followed all the instructions exactly and I'm no stranger to these kinds of test so I'm confident I used it correctly.

Wibu to take it back and ask for another? I know it's a bit gross but if it doesn't work can I do that? Or just take back the box but not the actual test? Or shall I just chalk it up to experience and buy another one? I know it's not really a lot of money as such but they are quite expensive and I've recently lost my job so need all the help I can get.

Magstermay Wed 18-Jan-17 04:51:43

You'd need to take the test to prove it hadn't worked but I don't see why not as long as you're sure you followed instructions. Just make sure the bit with wee on is covered grin

Magstermay Wed 18-Jan-17 04:52:36

Oh, and be prepared to never return if they say no wink

MoonshineJungle Wed 18-Jan-17 04:56:53

I know they can be expensive, I got a pack of 10 from eBay, early detection ones and they picked up my pregnancy very early, they are the little stick ones so best to use with a tub but only cost about £5 with delivery, was half expecting some of them not to work but ended up testing them all out of curiosity grin

melj1213 Wed 18-Jan-17 05:00:14

I work in retail customer services and I really do not want to have to touch something with other people's bodily fluids on, nor the box or anything that comes with it ... please don't do that to your poor customer service rep, it's bad enough having to say no to a refund/exchange with normal items, it's really not something I would want to have to explain why we won't return it.

Before taking it back to the store I would call/email the company's customer service team (it should be on the box/info leaflet somewhere) and tell them that it was faulty and make it clear that you'd like them to replace it and they'll usually either send a replacement or a voucher to cover the cost of a new one that you can redeem in a high street store.

SharkiraSharkira Wed 18-Jan-17 05:03:39

Hmm, yes that's what I was worried about, will it be really unpleasant for the person I'm returning it to? Fwiw I have worked in retail and it wouldn't bother me in these circumstances as long as it was well wrapped/covered and I didn't have to physically touch it (just the box) but I appreciate that others may feel differently.

Agerbilatemycardigan Wed 18-Jan-17 05:11:11

That's a lot of pee Moonshine grin

melj1213 Wed 18-Jan-17 05:15:13

It really bothers me, because (and I don't mean you personally here, just generally) I don't know how stringent the person has been with things like hand washing, storage of the box, how careful they were with the test putting it in the box, whether it is adequately sealed/protected etc (technically when we take returns we are supposed to check that all the parts are present, and there was actually a test in the box and not some random other object, and yes people will do that, but this is one I would really rather not check) ... and mulitple people in our store than have to handle the box - I'd have to handle it to get all the details, lot codes, batch numbers etc, then it would get logged in the system, then someone else would have to handle it to take it to our "faulty returns" area, as - if it's branded - it will have to be returned to the manufacturer if it has been logged as faulty and those boxes aren't always the most sturdy, especially if it's squashed by other items being put on top of it or it's slightly ripped and so on. It's just not a nice position to have to be put in.

I would definitely call the customer services for the PG test company first.

MoonshineJungle Wed 18-Jan-17 05:18:04

Agerbilatemycardigan grin I know! I still got a double pack of clearblue after just to confirm it 😂

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 18-Jan-17 05:28:39

Calling the manufacturer first is probably the most considerate way to handle it but could take a while. But if you need a replacement or refund to get another one straight away it may not be the route to take. Much as some people may not like handling these things, if the store sold it to you and it doesn't work, it is the store that is responsible for refunding you. Since they sell the product, they ought to have a process for accepting faulty returns. If you need a replacement fast, maybe call them up instead and ask how they'd like to proceed?

HumpHumpWhale Wed 18-Jan-17 05:32:20

Not answering your actual question, but yy to cheap tests on amazon. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0026RQ75W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484717450&sr=8-1&keywords=pregnancy+test
Sooo cheap and just as sensitive as the first response ones.

Bettydownthehall Wed 18-Jan-17 06:34:24

I emailed Sainsbury once when both out of a pack of two were faulty.

They send me a gift card.

raviolidreaming Wed 18-Jan-17 06:45:49

Asda sell them for £1. Buy a cheap replacement and contact the manufacturer of the faulty one directly.

SharkiraSharkira Wed 18-Jan-17 10:12:45

Yeah I think I'm not going to return it, I'll drop them an email and see what happens and in the meantime just grab another cheap one, thanks!

OnlyAFoolsChance Wed 18-Jan-17 10:27:15

I'd drop an email or grumble on Twitter about it being completely faulty. Twitter is fab for getting things dealt with, without the embarrassment of having to come face to face with people!

RedGrapeCornSnake Wed 18-Jan-17 11:24:12

I think a sensible rule for any sort of returns would be if you've wee'd on it you can't return it

I hope you get a good response to your email

ChristmasCwtches Wed 18-Jan-17 11:29:27

Take a photo of the test to show no control line and also a photo of the box clearly showing the serial number. Talk to customer services.

If I were going to return it to the store I would do so in a sealed plastic bag so that the failed test could be clearly seen but no one needed to touch it.

hackneyandbow Wed 18-Jan-17 11:57:42

theyre 3 for £1 in Poundland. cmon

MidnightSheep Wed 18-Jan-17 12:00:38

Why didn't you get emergency contraception? It would have been easier than playing the waiting game.

As pp said - in the leaflet there will be frequently asked questions/number to ring if the test failed. Please do this rather than taking a peed on piece of plastic back to the supermarket/chemists!

FroodGloriousFrood Wed 18-Jan-17 19:22:34

I don't know, it's not that bad as long as you wrap it up well and warn them before you hand it over. I guess if you can get a refund without the evidence it may be preferable for all concerned.

I have a friend who returned a vibrator once, it was broken and she got a replacement!

kali110 Wed 18-Jan-17 19:31:01

I would not return it, poor retail staff.
Send a complaint to the maker or the shop that sold it to you,go on twitter or their fb and complain their with a picture. They're usually good when it's online.

glueandstick Wed 18-Jan-17 19:31:41

I can assure you that the Poundland ones, Asda, boots own, clear blue and the bleeding expensive digital ones AND ovulation sticks all do exactly the same thing. All 32 of them.

Don't take it back, just buy a cheepy.

SteppingOnToes Wed 18-Jan-17 19:37:04

Take a photo of it?

They're 3 for £1 in B&M and I got a very early positive with them

Ilovecaindingle Wed 18-Jan-17 19:37:04

I emailed cb about a digital that didn't work - all they wanted was the bar code and they refunded no problem!!

SteppingOnToes Wed 18-Jan-17 19:38:08

Take a photo of it?

They're 3 for £1 in B&M and I got a very early positive with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now