Talk

Advanced search

GP prescribed wrong dose pill

(10 Posts)
user1472419718 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:39:49

More of a WWYD?

I went to the doctors today to go back on the combined contraceptive pill, after a break.

I have reacted badly to other pills in the past and found this pill, which has low oestrogen, seems to have fewer side effects for me. I mentioned I wanted that particular pill by name, but because I didn't know that this particular pill came in more than one dose, I wasn't specific about the dose.

I have just checked my prescription before I pick it up tomorrow and have realised that they have prescribed me the right pill, but the wrong dose (not low oestrogen).

When I came into the surgery, the receptionists were having a noisy discussion on the phone with the pharmacy, because a patient was in the pharmacy and realised the doctor had prescribed the wrong pill.

I am worried that if I phone up the doctor's surgery and ask for a new prescription, they won't ask her back (she was a locum, and said she was hoping to get more work at the surgery, so I should be able to come back and see her again) because she prescribed at least 2 patients (me, and the man on the phone) the wrong pill.

However if I don't phone them up, I'm going to have to either take a pill that may cause bad side effects (or maybe not, whilst I have assumed it is the oestrogen dose, equally it could be the type of progesterone in the pill that causes the side effects) or not take the pill at all.

WWYD?

lalalalyra Tue 17-Jan-17 23:43:10

I'd phone the surgery and speak to them. Doctors are human and make mistakes, but if this one makes a habit of prescribing the wrong thing they need to know.

If they don't ask her back because she makes too many mistakes then that's her fault - not yours. Do not make yourself ill because of an error!

Reality16 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:46:38

She didn't prescribe you the wrong pill. She gave you the pill you asked for. You didn't specify anything about dose so she would have naturally chosen the more common of the 2 options. By all means phone and ask if you can have a script for the one you would prefer, but at no point should you say the doctor got it wrong hmm

user1472419718 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:53:51

Reality- I never said the doctor was wrong, I said the pill was wrong hmm

I'm just worried about phoning because I don't to prevent her from getting more work there. She seemed a good doctor to me, I'd be happy to see her again.

Reality16 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:56:29

Oh come on, you went as far as to say you thought phoning would prevent them from bringing this doctor back, don't try and backtrack and say that doesn't indicate you were blaming the doctor.

user1472419718 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:58:30

Yes that's exactly what I said:

I am worried that if I phone up the doctor's surgery and ask for a new prescription, they won't ask her back

If I thought she wasn't a good doctor, surely I would have been happy to point this out hmm

Reality16 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:14:45

Ok then.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 18-Jan-17 00:27:58

So you ring up and say is "When I picked up my pill I realised...I'd asked that lovely locum for the pill by name, but I never mentioned I needed the low oestrogen one, so she's prescribed me the normal one. Would it be possible to get it changed to the low oestrogen one, because with higher oestrogen pills in the past I've had side effects".

user1472419718 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:40:34

thanks nocoolnames i will try that tomorrow

GreatFuckability Wed 18-Jan-17 02:44:11

the doctor should check the dosage on the pill from before. she DID get it wrong. not a huge one, but still its hardly the OP's fault.

I'd ring up and tell them you got the wrong dose, and whilst on the phone say how nice she was. that will go a long way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now