Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want to spend £2k on a boiler that we wont get the benefit of?

(79 Posts)
Mortgagedilemma Tue 17-Jan-17 22:21:45

Posting here for traffic as need to make decision by tomorrow morning.

Our house went up for sale this week. First viewings booked for Sunday. Today the boiler stops working.

The boiler is old and has been a bit dodgy for a while.

Plumber came round today to try and fix it. He thinks it could be the fan, or possibly the gas valve, but not certain. Fan would cost £300, bit then valves may also need to be replaced.

Alternatively He can replace like with like on Friday and replace whole boiler for £2k.

WWYD? It's a lot of money to shell out that we won't get the benefit of, so I'm loathe to do it, but there's no guarantee the patching up will work in time for first viewings.

fraggle84 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:25:19

Replace it, a buyer will take more than 2k off the offer price

Cookingongas Tue 17-Jan-17 22:26:50

Replace it. You will benefit as without it your house loses value. Yanbu to be annoyed tho, awful timing!

Poocatcherchampion Tue 17-Jan-17 22:26:58

Fix it.

dangermouseisace Tue 17-Jan-17 22:28:13

Replace it- excellent selling point.

seven201 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:29:38

It kind of depends on the value of your house I think. We've always taken boiler age condition into consideration when house shopping! Definitely get the estate agent to point out the new boiler if you do get it!

Toofewshoes Tue 17-Jan-17 22:30:07

Replace it. It is attractive to buyers if the boiler is new. You know this is the right thing to do, just really painful.

Mortgagedilemma Tue 17-Jan-17 22:44:43

It really is painful! The timing is horrendous.

House will hopefully sell at around £360, all going well....

HerBluebiro Tue 17-Jan-17 22:46:02

Replace it. If you don't your house will take an age to sell and your boiler will break at least once more in that time.

Do and your house will sell before you've had any use out of it.

Sods law innit?

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 22:48:34

Just fix it. Almost exactly the same thing happened to us. I can't imagine it'll be a make or break for a buyer that loves your house. It certainly didn't affect our sale.

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 22:49:54

Replace it, a buyer will take more than 2k off the offer price
They can try, but the op can say the house sale price reflects the age of the boiler.

whyohwhy000 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:51:24

Sell it for 362 then.

splendidglenda Tue 17-Jan-17 22:52:57

Personally I'd just get it repaired.

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 22:53:08

It's already on the market-you can't just put the price up. confused

HerRoyalNotness Tue 17-Jan-17 22:53:56

You have to get it fixed and that's already 300quid, if the problem is only the fan. Plus valves. Not sure how much they are or how many but say it's another 300. So to replace completely, it will only be another 1400.

I'd replace it. Better to do that than throw a few hundred at it, only to have to fork out more as it didn't fix the problem. As others have said, it's a selling point.

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 22:55:47

So to replace completely, it will only be another 1400.

In what world is more than an extra grand "only another 1400"? confused

MatildaTheCat Tue 17-Jan-17 22:57:00

It's bloody freezing and your house may not sell for months anyway so replace the boiler and have the comfort of heat and hot water plus the additional selling point of a boiler under guarantee.

It sucks and I've just had to replace ours but it doesn't suck as badly as being stone cold and no warm shower.

Specialagentblond Tue 17-Jan-17 22:58:14

I would say replace but sometimes when you replace boilers, some radiators leak due to increases in pressure, so I'd get some more advice or another opinion.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Tue 17-Jan-17 22:59:04

Replace it, you can't really sell it with no working boiler!

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 23:00:29

It isn't replace it or not have a boiler, it's replace it or fix it.

PoohBearsHole Tue 17-Jan-17 23:00:42

if you'd had an offer and accepted it, i'd still say you need to replace it/inform the buyers so they can make a decision on the new boiler and possibly have taken the price down to reflect this BUT you haven't had an offer and you may well find that it won't sell quickly regardless but knowing that it needs to be replaced will have an impact on your house sale.

Mortgagedilemma Tue 17-Jan-17 23:02:26

Looks like I'm shelling out £2k then......

First thing I do in my new (to me) house is replace the boiler. Not making the same mistake again!!!

NapQueen Tue 17-Jan-17 23:04:03

I'd repair for 300-600. Tbh it could have broken the week after you move.

We've just had ours repaired at 450 but it's only 5 years old so we hope that it's a small price to pay overall. Alternatively British Gas do a 90 quid repair (no matter what is wrong!) If you sign up to their boiler care plan. You don't need to have joined so far in advance.

The only reason we didn't use it is we only found out about the day after we had ours repaired.

PragmaticWench Tue 17-Jan-17 23:05:19

When we bought this house our solicitor asked the vendor's solicitor for exact details of boiler servicing. The vendors came back with 'what's a boiler service?!' so we cut fifteen hundred pounds off our revised offer.

RedastheRose Tue 17-Jan-17 23:07:18

2k is very little compared to your asking price. A dodgy boiler will almost certainly put people off and anything that shows a property to be less than well maintained makes buyers negotiate the price down hard as they think their could be more problems being hidden. It would be a good selling point for buyers to know that you chose to replacing the boiler without being asked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now