Talk

Advanced search

To book a holiday in Margate?

(65 Posts)
VerbenaGirl Tue 17-Jan-17 21:54:38

Was lacking inspiration for our hols this year... Budget quite tight, husband won't fly, kids don't travel well... Then remember hearing that Margate was on the up... Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Purpleprickles Tue 17-Jan-17 21:57:45

We went last year for a day trip while staying nearby. It has really changed over the years and is now quite trendy. We went to Dreamland which my 7 year old really enjoyed. The beach is big and sandy and they also have the new Turner gallery there now as well for a wander round. Ramsgate isn't far away and has a good family friendly beach and the usual amusements. Also Broadstairs is close and that is a lovely family beach, with a great big rock pool for crabbing a brilliant ice cream shop!

SparkleShinyGlitter Tue 17-Jan-17 21:59:26

I prefer broadstairs it's lovely but I do like Margate old town ( love vintage shops)

Purpleknickers Tue 17-Jan-17 21:59:39

It's not far from me and I would strongly advise against it. The on the up never really happened. It's run down, grubby and boring. The beach is nice but you do need great weather to appreciate it.

SittingDrinkingTea Tue 17-Jan-17 22:00:37

I'd stay in Broadstairs, which is lovely, and do day trips to Margate rather than stay there.

LotsoNumbers Tue 17-Jan-17 22:02:33

I would stay somewhere like Whitstable or Broadstairs. There's a lot to do in the area, Canterbury is close, Dover castle, port lympne or howletts, margate beach is nice or joss bay (you can even surf at joss bay), dreamland is good, there's an art gallery in margate...there are just nicer places to use as a base than margate!

KellyBoo800 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:02:43

Perhaps look somewhere else close enough to still do a day trip? It's nice for a day but not an awful lot to do for any longer. Could split time between Margate/Broadstairs/Whitstable?

If you do visit Margate I 100% recommend GB Pizza- honestly the best pizza I have ever had 😀

dodgydonkeysdoodah Tue 17-Jan-17 22:02:57

A day trip maybe? There's a tiny corner of Margate that's interesting and villagey, plus Dreamland, the Gallery and the Shell Grotto are all worth a look, but for a family holiday I'd pick Broadstairs every time.

Magzmarsh Tue 17-Jan-17 22:03:33

I wasn't impressed. Brighton was so much better

SpongeCakeBigPants Tue 17-Jan-17 22:05:41

Not to far from me either but I really like it. It's got a nice sandy beach, Dreamland and the old town has got some lovely shops. It's not far from Howlets Zoo and Wingham wildlife park too for a day out.

It's not the Caribbean but as far as a nice, cheap seaside holiday goes, it's not bad.

As Sparkle said, close to Broadstairs and Deal which are both lovely.

mymatemax Tue 17-Jan-17 22:07:02

Have a look at foxhunter holiday park.

Crumbs1 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:13:01

Isle of Wight might be more exciting and offer more options.

Christmasnoooooooooooo Tue 17-Jan-17 22:13:30

Westgate beach is much much nicer but stay in cheapest place.between Westgate and margate .
Whitstable is pebble beach and Is very expensive.

honeylulu Tue 17-Jan-17 22:33:41

I wouldn't. I grew up there. It was known as the Costa del Dole.
Bits of it have been done up nice now but much if it is just ... depressing, especially if the weather is bad.
Having said that my children love going there. (We don't live at the seaside now so it's a novelty.(

Purpleprickles Tue 17-Jan-17 22:41:21

I second Foxhunter (waves to Mymate smile)

BurningBridges Tue 17-Jan-17 22:46:13

We go every year but we go to Westbrook which is the beach before Margate. We literally sit there from lunch until 6pm, been going since the kids were toddlers. Only 1 bad day ever in 12 years we misjudged the tide and it was so far out the rocks were exposed so no one could swim or bodyboard etc.

We did rent a house there one year so if weather was bad could just go back and chill. Treat it like a traditional beach holiday, if you have a car you can visit all these other nearby places, Broadstairs is nice but for me only worth a day or two. Whole area is great as long as you "buy into" the British beach holiday idea.

babychamcherryb Wed 18-Jan-17 06:54:59

We go every year. I love it. I have been going since I was a kid so it's seeped in nostalgia for me.
It's getting lots of ex Londoners moving there and lots of greasy spoon cafes are being replaced with coffee and yoga places.

babychamcherryb Wed 18-Jan-17 06:55:44

Saying that it's not our main holiday we go for a weekend!

ForalltheSaints Wed 18-Jan-17 06:57:22

Whitstable would be a better choice with children in my opinion.

Passthecake30 Wed 18-Jan-17 07:04:18

I have family in margate, broadstairs and ramsgate. Broadstairs has a huge out of town shopping centre (Westgate) which has meant loads of shops and restaurants in margate have closed and it seems really deprived. They do have lots of arcades though, and dreamland has had a makeover (but it's also expensive as you have to pay for a days entry). I'd stay somewhere around there (Deal/Clifftonville) and travel the area- it's only half an hour to Dover castle too.

Lilaclily Wed 18-Jan-17 07:08:18

I think it's fine as a Base as long as a few days you travel to whitstable one day - can do Canterbury on same day , Broadstairs one day ,

Nothings too far to drive to imo like howletts zoo , you can easily spend a day there

Floralnomad Wed 18-Jan-17 07:10:07

If you could guarantee the weather it would be OK because the beaches , particularly Westbrook bay are lovely . If you are bringing a car and don't mind driving a fair bit then that part of Kent has plenty to do and you could even throw in a day trip to France , if you have English heritage membership there's a few good castles like Dover and Walmer , Canterbury is not far . Don't go with the expectation that Margate is 'on the up' because you will be disappointed and don't stay at the Cliftonville end .

Oriunda Wed 18-Jan-17 07:46:06

We stay at Broadstairs. Lovely beaches, cliff top walks and some lovely restaurants. Day trip into Margate to visit the museums etc.

wifeyhun Wed 18-Jan-17 07:50:21

I think it's fine as a base, I used to live there myself with no bother, then you can explore the rest of East Kent.

Blu Wed 18-Jan-17 07:54:13

If you choose Broadstairs make sure you have somewhere with parking. The parking in the town is very tight in summer.

Where do you live? What sort of holiday would you be doing? Renting a house? Taking a car?

The Isle of Wight is lovely....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now