Talk

Advanced search

Removing old smell from cupboards?

(9 Posts)
user1477282676 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:03:29

Moved into a new rental last week...everything is old. It's all "sound" but old...I've washed inside all cupboards and fitted wardrobes but there's still a sort of old musty smell in some.

The trouble is, they're lined on the shelves with a mix of old wallpaper and what seems to be lino...as in flooring. So I think the gaps have got stinky...I suppose I could recover them with that bonda stuff...sticky paper whatever it is...but that won't really remove the smell will it?

Rosae Tue 17-Jan-17 19:08:30

Watching this post cos I have the same issue. Only it's carpet in mine so I was wondering if that's where the smell is coming from.

user1477282676 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:19:30

Is it in your wardrobes Rosae?

fourquenelles Tue 17-Jan-17 19:25:27

Try wiping everything down again with water and baking soda and then leave an opened tub of baking soda in the cupboard for at least 3 days. Otherwise Fabreze? Good luck Op.

user1477282676 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:29:26

Thanks...I'll have to buy some...I hope something works! It's like opening the door of a particularly whiffy jumble sale every time I go into a kitchen cupboard!

previously1474907171 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:44:22

SImple Solution pet odour remover gets rid of most smells, spray it on and leave doors open after you have cleaned. The best thing would be to remove all the old covering first though and wash the shelves. White vinegar and water to clean with.

Febreze might mask the smell but it not a healthy option, it contains some horrible things.

When it is all done, leave them to air for much longer than you think you need to. Silica cat litter inside will also help (as long as you don't have a cat that will start using it).

Rosae Wed 18-Jan-17 11:38:58

Yes. And under stairs cupboard.

Rosae Wed 18-Jan-17 11:41:21

I have tried febreeze. It works as long as the scent stays. But once that's faded the musty smell is back. The wardrobes aren't too bad. But the under stairs cupboard is pretty awful.

MuteButtonisOn Wed 18-Jan-17 11:49:43

Lots of peppermint oil mixed with bicarb in little muslin bags or pots, just leave them in there. You could use other oils but I find peppermint most effective. It's also good mixed with washing up liquid and water to clean away whiffs. Use an expensive one like Tisserand though. Fabreze is the devils work. Smells like those new dreadful Always Ultra odour controls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now