Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

House viewing with chicken pox?

(21 Posts)
Dobbyandme Tue 17-Jan-17 17:19:49

AIBU to think this is wrong? I don't think I am BU and mostly am just pissed off and want someone to justify my anger for me.

Family viewed our rented home today bringing their child with chicken pox with them. Prescabs, so highly contagious. I have a 16 month old. I am not pregnant. None of us are immunosuppressed.

But we bloody well could be for all they knew. I mean FFS. Aaaarghhh!

MapMyMum Tue 17-Jan-17 17:20:57

YANBU that would really annoy me

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 17-Jan-17 17:21:56

I didn't leave the house with mine. If I had it would have had to be something vital. This was not so they are being very unreasonable.

bumsexatthebingo Tue 17-Jan-17 17:27:38

I wouldn't have let them view it tbh.

littlemissneela Tue 17-Jan-17 17:34:13

YANBU! What a selfish family to allow their child to go to strangers homes with a contagious illness! What if one of the homes had a pregnant lady, or a child or person living there on immunosuppressant medication? The poor kid probably didn't want to go out either.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:35:01

Apparently 15 minutes in the same room as a contagious person means you can catch it- keep an eye on your 16month old in the next 2-3 weeks - my 15 month just had it and it started as a week of the most foul mood ever, then a few tiny spots. If in doubt, don't give nurofen for fever etc as it causes the pox to develop much worse.

Ynbu, how irresponsible to bring him to your home and not even ask if you minded them coming in.

Dobbyandme Tue 17-Jan-17 17:36:36

BumSex no spots on face so not immediately noticeable. As soon as I realised I asked them to remove the child from my house and then each adult looked around separately.

WIBU to burn the carpet child crawled on?! WI also BU to put a sign on the gate saying "No pox beyond this point"?!

A bit worried DD will come down with it. Moving Friday and it's not exactly 5 minutes up the road. Going to be a mental couple of weeks and could really do without.

Dobbyandme Tue 17-Jan-17 17:41:18

Also annoyed as supposed to be paying a goodbye visit to immunosuppressed relative tomorrow.

Bear1983 thanks for the tips. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 17-Jan-17 17:42:55

Yanbu, they were very thoughtless

CockacidalManiac Tue 17-Jan-17 17:44:40

Chicken Pox is possibly the most infectious of the childhood illnesses. Highly fucking irresponsible.

DearMrDilkington Tue 17-Jan-17 17:46:44

What selfish knobs. Yanbu.

I would be really cross. There's not a whole lot you can do about it now, but I'd definitely call estate agent to express your frustration.

bumsexatthebingo Tue 17-Jan-17 17:55:59

Good luck op. Your child will likely get it anyway once they start preschool but if I could avoid a very young toddler getting it I would. Much harder for them to understand that it's temporary and to get them not to scratch. It's unavoidable if a sibling gets it but with 2 adults there I cant understand why they would unnecessarily expose your child! Were they apologetic at all?

RTKangaMummy Tue 17-Jan-17 18:01:43

YANBU why couldn't they have just come in one at a time to start with?

but I just wanted to offer a glimmer of hope that your little one might be ok

My little bro had it when we were little but I didn't catch it from him but caught it as a adult when I was a children's nanny

Hope your little one is ok

LakieLady Tue 17-Jan-17 18:07:36

YANBU!

I caught chicken pox when I was 37. It was bloody terrible, I was really ill for 3-4 weeks and very run down for several weeks afterwards. Then I got shingles (quite a few times) and still suffer from post-herpetic neuralgia from time to time.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone of any age, although I believe that children don't tend to get it as badly as adults.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves, stupid, selfish twunts.

FuzzyCustard Tue 17-Jan-17 18:13:15

I'd be utterly furious. Because of my DHs illness we have a note by the doorbell informing anyone with any kind of bugs ( including a cold or sickness) not to come in. I am fed up to the back teeth of explaining how a " minor" illness is life threatening to someone seriously immunosuppressed.

BarbarianMum Tue 17-Jan-17 18:21:03

You can still visit your relative. Even if your dd has caught it her viral load will be tiny right now so not infectious.

Dobbyandme Tue 17-Jan-17 18:35:33

Thanks KangaMummy, have had similar reassurance from a RL friend. Her children didn't pass to each other when they caught it, they had it a few years apart.

Lakie for that reason I would rather DD had it as a child, just not this early and under these circumstances!

Fuzzie I don't bloody blame you. We've both had chicken pox and aren't in any danger from it, but I've always had the understanding that someone with a compromised immune system needs to be protected. If that's what it takes to protect your DH then I'm all for it.

BarbarianMum the relative is my StepMIL's DF so I've contacted StepMIL to see how she feels. I'm waiting to hear back from her. It might be overkill but I just can't put myself in a position where I could be responsible for any effect on his health.

dementedpixie Tue 17-Jan-17 18:40:12

It's incubation period is 10-21 days so she wouldn't be infectious for ages anyway (from 1-2 days before spots appear until they scab)

Dobbyandme Tue 17-Jan-17 18:53:02

BumSex no apologetic type behaviour at all.

StepMIL thinks fine for tomorrow, friend has also corroborated. Exposure was possibly two minutes with several feet between them and no coughing etc so highly unlikely. Just pissed of that people would potentially risk life over staying indoors for a few days.

Peanutandphoenix Tue 17-Jan-17 19:44:47

YANBU how bloody irresponsible for all they knew you could've been pregnant or have no immunity I really hope your DD doesn't get it. I understand you frustration I would feel like that if someone come in to my mum's home and they had chicken pox my mum can't come in to contact with it because of her diabetes and because she an auto immune diseas my grandma was the same after her cancer treatment we couldn't even go near her if we had so much as a cold. Good luck with your move OP I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now