Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In letting ds eat crisp

(30 Posts)
FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 14:49:47

Ds is 5! He comes to work with me every day! 7:30am - 5:30pm 5 days a week.

I nanny for a family from Pakistan.

3 families live in this one house!

The parents of the child I look after both work.

The fathers sister ((A) stays home with her 8 month old!

Ok, so everyday I have to pack ds and myself lunch! And a lot extra for ds, he needs to eat a fair bit more than I do. Meals usually consist of leftovers from the night before, curry and rice for instance.

But I also pack ds other things, cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, peanuts, etc. And one thing he does have is a pack of crisp, today ds had lunch at 1pm, the small baby eats his lunch at 2:30pm after his nap.

So I'm sitting feeding the baby and ds is sat eating a bag of mini cheddars, A comes in and says "what are these? Do not feed him these any more, they're not good for him"

I'm
Sorry but I feel aggravated, I am providing a balanced diet for ds, surely he can have a pack of crisps or cheddars or what ever!

Chippednailvarnishing Tue 17-Jan-17 14:51:17

!

PollytheDolly Tue 17-Jan-17 14:52:41

Don't even question yourself.

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 14:54:23

Pollythedolly! Thanks! I struggle packing enough food for ds as it is! Without yet more limitations (vegetarian) just feel annoyed that she would comment as if I don't know that they're not particularly healthy! But he's a good boy! A little bit isn't any harm

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Tue 17-Jan-17 14:54:36

Yanbu bit surely ds should be in school? Unless you home school but surely you can't do that and nanny at the same time?

SparklyFuckingBusinessFairy Tue 17-Jan-17 14:55:42

As someone whose mother did not let her have crisps or chocolates etc unless it was a real treat day like Christmas, I grew up with a really unhealthy attitude towards junk food. Got to university, where I could buy my own food, and promptly piled on about 4 stone in 4 years.

Teaching your DS that he can have small treats as part of a balanced diet with plenty of exercise is a much better way to go about it than to deny him any treats, IMO.

As for sticking your beak into what someone else feeds their kids - bah!

LagunaBubbles Tue 17-Jan-17 14:56:34

Why would you let someone else tell you what to feed your own child? confused

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 14:58:37

Fairy thank you, this is part of the plan, we do teach ds that he can have anything in moderation! And he never even finished the bag before opting for a banana instead!

I'm feeling slightly frustrated with A as it is as she's constantly leaving her 8 month old with me and calling me from other areas of the house to sit with the 8 month old and has now asked me to come in on Sunday to care for the baby for 4 hours!! So didn't know if I was maybe seeing through discoloured eyes!

And yes I home school and ds does well, our study times are during naps and such

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:58:51

Your child your choice. You know what is good and what isn't and are providing a varied diet.
Damn sight healthier than my DD's school chum who takes Nutella butties in for lunch every day. What age does school start out there?

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 14:59:12

Bubbles - I don't! Which is why I'm here! I'm finding it rude and a bit tricky to deal with at the moment

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:00:03

Patricia - ds is home schooled and would love me to provide jam sandwhich every day, had to battle that one away 😂

CripsSandwiches Tue 17-Jan-17 15:01:33

If I was going to be ridiculously nitpicky I'd probably not let my DS have a bag of crisps everyday at that age but this is well within the limits of personal choice and I probably give my DS things you wouldn't let yours have. She should wind her neck in and you should ignore her.

DotForShort Tue 17-Jan-17 15:01:59

It's none of her business, obviously. If you feel confident that your son has a healthy diet, feed him what you like.

(In the abstract, I admit I don't understand why anyone would eat crisps every day. I mean, they taste nice but I think of them more as an occasional treat rather than part of a daily diet. But I wouldn't dream of saying that to someone who had made a different choice.)

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:02:47

Crips - appropriate name for this thread! I bring them every day - but most days he leaves them! Which I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have enough food there then he can eat if he wants!

CantstandmLMs Tue 17-Jan-17 15:07:30

As a nanny, I have no idea how you cope with other people in the house let alone home schooling your DS whilst the sister is there lurking about!
Hats off to you!

SparklyFuckingBusinessFairy Tue 17-Jan-17 15:12:48

Are they paying you to look after A's baby too??

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:15:32

Cants - thank you! It's a fair bit of stress some days

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:17:59

Fairy - no they're not! This is what aggravates me.

A member from family The third family came downstairs, well call her B and took my charge outside for a walk up the road, in this time A called me upstairs to watch we child because she wanted to shower, I said my charge was outside with B and she goes "so you can come upstairs"

She still isn't back and I can hear her downstairs while my charge has been returned to me upstairs! This is against the way I work! I'm finding it difficult as her baby isn't my responsibility. Right now I have 3 children, mine, my charge and A's

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:18:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrutiFlutey Tue 17-Jan-17 15:33:24

Boredom bump

VladmirsPoutine Tue 17-Jan-17 15:35:33

I don't understand this thread. Feed your son what you like.

bonfireheart Tue 17-Jan-17 15:38:19

Why do you need to mention where the family are from? Do you think that impacts on her behaviour or how you should react to it?
Feed you're child what you want but why are you taking your child to work? Are they paying you to look after your child or theirs?

bonfireheart Tue 17-Jan-17 15:40:19

And you seem to be juggling two of their children and your own and feeding them and still have time for a live blog on mumsnet. I'd be disappointed if someone who I paid to look after my child was faffing around on the Internet - even if that child was on a walk with someone else, am sure there must be stuff for you to do.

Excited101 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:40:59

I can't say I understand this thread either, and the job sounds crazy. Is there a particular reason you homeschool op? I should imagine your job choice (and length) is incredibley limited if you intend to homeschool at the same time

bonfireheart Tue 17-Jan-17 15:46:19

Plus, home come your 5 year old eats more than you do? Maybe this lady sees you feeding him adult portions and crisps every day. I wouldn't be impressed by a nanny who thought that was acceptable for a child every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now