Talk

Advanced search

Landlord proposing rent increase

(10 Posts)
TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 17-Jan-17 14:11:20

I currently rent a property from a letting agency. They have recently contacted me to advise that my landlord would like to propose a rent increase. An additional £25 per month.

I have stayed in the property for 3 years.

Is this proposed increase something that I can negotiate?

LIZS Tue 17-Jan-17 14:16:43

You can try but that seems a pretty low increase after 3 years. How would it compare to similar properties?

Letmesleepalready Tue 17-Jan-17 14:16:56

Whenever we've had a proposed increase (every single year in this place) they say you can contact a property ombudsman for them to see if the increase is suitable. They have warned us that the ombudsman could say the property is worth more than we are paying now though, so if you were to go down that route, I'd check what prices current rentals are advertised at.

unfortunateevents Tue 17-Jan-17 14:19:24

You can try but if you haven't had an increase in 3 years, I think you have been lucky. I am a landlord and our letting agency has suggested an increase and a proposed amount every year. Generally, we have only increased every two years and have made sure that the rental is in line (or possibly slightly below) other rentals in the same areas.

TheNaze73 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:21:16

YABU. Its their property & that seems a very low increase in line with the market, certainly in L/SE. Vote with your feet if you don't like it.

BrieAndChilli Tue 17-Jan-17 14:23:50

Check what similar properties in your area are going for. An acceptable rate I think is an increase of 5% in one go. Over that you could probably negotiate.
Our rent just went up £25 too but we haven't had an increase since we moved in 8 years ago so deemed it ok especially as similar properties are £150-200 more expensive than what we pay

harderandharder2breathe Tue 17-Jan-17 14:23:50

Yabu, £25 in three years is nothing really. And I say that as a private tennant myself.

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 17-Jan-17 14:24:30

Thank you all. I appreciated the input. I'm off to accept.

SparklyFuckingBusinessFairy Tue 17-Jan-17 14:35:11

If it's an assured shorthold tenancy, I think the maximum increase is 10%. So £25 is probably low? Agree with PP's that if it's the only increase in 3 years, that sounds like you have a pretty fair landlord.

londonrach Tue 17-Jan-17 14:37:40

You can refuse but for £25 is it worth the hassle of moving. What else is in your area for the same. Personally id accept it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now