Talk

Advanced search

Fed up with my thighs...surgery?

(45 Posts)
Mumofthreecheekyboys Tue 17-Jan-17 12:22:36

AMBU to consider surgery?!

I'm fed up with my chunky thighs! They don't match the rest of my body which is petite/slim/toned.

I dared to order some pants online (bi-stretch skinny by Gap, as advertised on Mums Swear By), went for a size 10. They are tight around my thighs but way to big around my waist. It always goes like this...I'm fed up with it!

I'm about 5ft 3, weigh 8st, 2lb. I'm at my ideal weight (3rd baby is 3 months old, lost the baby weight gain quite easily), I exercise regularly, eat reasonably healthily, drink moderately (does half a bottle of red most nights count as moderately? another topic maybe...)...and FED UP WITH MY THIGHS!

As a Mum of three, (6,4 & 3 months) I haven't got much time to go shopping, I want to be able to fit in regular clothes without having to get them amended by a seamstress!

I am happy with the rest of my body (don't think I can loose a lot more weight?!). AIBU to consider plastic surgery?
Has anyone had surgery to get a slimmer thighs/a thigh-gap?
Has it worked out? How much would it cost?
Any alternative options? (I exercise already; have done for many years. Cardio/weights/flexibility. If anything, exercise has made my legs stronger, not slimmer)
Help!!x

Strongmummy Tue 17-Jan-17 12:27:03

I think I'm a similar build to you, slim and pear shaped. Size 8-10 on top, 10-12 on the bottom. I train using weights and have balanced my body more, i.e. Shoulders and arms are toned and more muscular and look more in proportion, thighs are still bigger, but tighter. However, you aren't going to change your actual body shape/where your body stores fat. I've also considered surgery/liposuction, but I'm a bit nervous and also unless I eat really healthily forever the weight will just go back on my thighs!!!

Strongmummy Tue 17-Jan-17 12:28:16

Also, why on earth do you want a thigh gap?!?!

Mumofthreecheekyboys Tue 17-Jan-17 12:30:48

I agree, stongmummy, I have balanced my body, i.e. toned my upper body a lot through weight (body pump is fab!). But I'm just not getting anywhere with my thighs..!! grrr
Did you look into the surgery option?

Mumofthreecheekyboys Tue 17-Jan-17 12:33:49

thigh gaps are lush..! smile
But, honestly, what I want is just fitting into jeans/trousers/etc (a thigh gap would be bonus!)

Strongmummy Tue 17-Jan-17 12:35:19

No I didn't look into it surgery. However there is a technique that literally freezes the fat off!!!!! It's done at the Dr Sabag clinic in Harley street. I may treat myself this year.....

blueskyinmarch Tue 17-Jan-17 12:37:04

Are you strong, healthy and able?

Do you have a family and a partner who love you?

If yes to the above why put yourself through the risks, pain and expense of unnecessary surgery?

I would say learn to love yourself and your body. It has done an amazing thing and has produced three children. Your body is wonderful and doesn't need to be altered.

Mumofthreecheekyboys Tue 17-Jan-17 12:39:15

I live up North. Is that Harley Street in London?
Anyone got a surgery recommendation nearer Manchester?
Also, has anyone added "thigh fat" to boobs? (my boobs are very small...could do with a bit of "thigh fat"..lol!)

FannyWisdom Tue 17-Jan-17 12:40:56

That's a mobile, painful area for surgery.

I'd wait until DC are older and see what's available then.

In 10 years I'm confident they will have found a less brutal way!

previously1474907171 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:41:04

I had lipo some years ago because my thighs were wider than my hips. I never had a thigh gap, and still don't, and really don't find them particularly attractive. (Always have mental visions of the skeleton beneath the skin and muscle when I see a wide gap).

However, in spite of having quite a bit of fat removed I still don't have svelte, thin thighs, but they are smaller and don't stick out as far. I would have had it done again but never got around to it, and I would also have had it done by a different surgeon at a different hospital.

Having less weighty thighs is a good feeling, however it does not cure cellulite and it does not make you immune to putting weight back on.

Pufflemum Tue 17-Jan-17 12:41:15

I have the same issue and tried the fat freezing, it didn't work, so don't waste your money on that!

19lottie82 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:43:00

I don't think thigh gaps are attractive in the slightest tbh.

You say that you have exercised regularly, but why not try a personal trainer for some advice? They can help you target "problem" areas? Or laser (non surgical) lypo?

I'd give them a try before surgery anyway........ especially when you have 2 LO's to look after, is being off your feet for the recovery period even an option?

Mumofthreecheekyboys Tue 17-Jan-17 12:43:01

'yes' to all your questions. And yes, I thought someone would say "learn to love your body". And I'm really not trying to pander to beauty ideals...just want to fit into clothes!

NothingIsOK Tue 17-Jan-17 12:45:19

Now three months into trying to repair a surgical wound in the hip area that has been repeatedly infected. Don't do it. My surgery was vital, but there is no way I wouldn't consider invasive surgery for cosmetic reasons, or to get clothing to fit better. Seriously, and respectfully, resist the temptation.

NothingIsOK Tue 17-Jan-17 12:46:01

...No way I would consider...

previously1474907171 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:46:41

Having just read some replies that appeared while I was typing the above, I had to rest obviously, but was encouraged to be mobile. I didn't find it to be exceptionally painful, I remember the side effects of the drugs were worse as I felt really sick. I have had surgery a few times so no stranger to it.

I was up and about and working within a few days, what bothered me was having to keep the elasticated garment on to hold it all in place, and not being able to have a bath.

blueskyinmarch Tue 17-Jan-17 12:47:15

Mum I really am not trying to be all zen and new age - i too have issues fitting into clothes as i am a difficult apple shape but i have just learned to accept that this how my body is and i work round it (literally). I now angst about it a lot less.

Glitteryfrog Tue 17-Jan-17 12:50:55

Also, why on earth do you want a thigh gap?!?!

I've got a natural thigh gap... I'd hate you to think I spend my days worrying and trying to get it.

PhilODox Tue 17-Jan-17 12:51:00

You have a 3mo baby? You should not be worrying about fitting into "skinnies", surely you have other priorities right now.
Bf gave me a thigh gap by 6 months.

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:51:00

>>thigh gaps are lush<<

You can't be serious. Thigh gaps are simply down to having wide hips in relation to uour thighs.

Honestly, uou sound very young and impressionable, go for what's healthy not what's trendy, especially if you don't really understand it.

Silentplikebath Tue 17-Jan-17 12:52:04

YABU. I hope you are not real because you sound very self obsessed and vain.

PhilODox Tue 17-Jan-17 12:52:41

Any surgery carries risks. I would seriously question the morals of a surgeon that thinks cosmetic surgery on the mother of a 3mo is okay.

BingoBingoBingoBango Tue 17-Jan-17 12:53:53

drink moderately (does half a bottle of red most nights count as moderately?

No.

Strongmummy Tue 17-Jan-17 12:55:28

Pufflemum was it at the Dr Sebag clinic?

minipie Tue 17-Jan-17 13:00:22

I'm a very similar height and shape to you.

If you're like me then most of your thigh mass isn't fat. It's muscle. Short thigh bone = bunched up muscle = chunky thighs. There may be a bit of fat on top but most of the actual size is muscle.

If that's true for you then you are never going to have willowy thighs no matter what diet you do or surgery you have (unless you literally starve yourself so as to lose a lot of muscle, which I really wouldn't recommend).

Your best bet is Pilates to try to lengthen the quads and hamstrings as much as possible. And as a pp said, bulk up your shoulders to balance things out. Make sure you're not doing exercise which will bulk your quads further.

Yes finding trousers is a PITA. Most people seem to be apples these days with long thin legs and broad waists which is the opposite of us. And clothes are made for the majority. I find some White Stuff trousers fit well (not all styles though). High waisted trousers also work well to avoid the waist gapping issue - try White Company Marylebone slim high waist jeans for example. Vintage style stuff works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now