Talk

Advanced search

To get a special pair of shoes as a gift

(25 Posts)
Honesttodog Tue 17-Jan-17 10:54:25

...for someone who would love them but does not have the spare cash to get them?

Someone said to me that it can be hard being given a gift if you can't give back in the same way. But I just want to do a nice thing. Would nice shoes make you feel uncomfortable?

kimann Tue 17-Jan-17 11:26:33

Unless they were Chinese(in which case it's a big no no!) - I would say go for it! Are they a special brand or something? grin

Honesttodog Tue 17-Jan-17 11:28:03

Yes just sth they won't buy and family tend to give practical gifts

sonjadog Tue 17-Jan-17 11:36:42

Dunno. Depends on the recipient, how close you are to them, how much you usually send on presents, and how much the shoes cost.

dowhatnow Tue 17-Jan-17 11:37:56

Do you know they definitely like them?

MrsJayy Tue 17-Jan-17 11:39:00

Depends who it is really mum a sister a daughter yea do it but a friend or distant relative might be a bit awkward

CryingShame Tue 17-Jan-17 11:39:38

I have before - came across a pair of platform heels in green mock-croc and knew that my sister would love them.

Other people were a bit baffled when she opened her gift but she loved them and wears them.

MrsJayy Tue 17-Jan-17 11:41:28

Dd loves irregular choice I've bought her some for a birthday she loved them

Honesttodog Tue 17-Jan-17 12:11:13

I'm going for it. Exciting!

maras2 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:34:50

I'd be mortified if anyone bought shoes as a present for me.Perhaps it's an age thing. < old gimmer >
When I was a kid lots of kids in my class relied on the 'Boot and Shoe' fund.We were fortunate as we were a fairly small family compared to others and our dad had regular work.
It was the 1950's but we have long memories.
I think that you are very kind and hope that your gift is well received'

BinkyBuntyFintyCunty Tue 17-Jan-17 12:44:09

Do it. I have done the exact same thing and the recipient was thrilled. Am sure yours will be too.

user1477282676 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:47:45

Maras The Boot and Shoe Fund!

shock

That's terrible...I mean that others knew the kids were on that scheme! sad

OP...I wouldn't unless it's family or a very close friend.

You asked the question and the majority of posters said "no" but then you said "I'm going for it! Exciting!" as though we'd all said yes! confused

maras2 Tue 17-Jan-17 13:08:46

user Unfortunately (or fortunately) it still exists in our city and is well used.It's amongst the charities that DH and I support.
He had friends who had to use it during the 1950's too but he like me came from a relatively small family and had a dad who had regular work.
Sounds like a Monty Python script smile but unfortunately true.

user1477282676 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:06:56

It does sound Monty Python ish!

Eee...when I were a lad we didn't even have feet!

Elroya1 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:08:42

I wouldn't worry about it. Whenever I want to buy something for someone, I think whether they will like it, not if I will like something similar from them.

showmeislands Tue 17-Jan-17 21:55:53

Why would it be unreasonable to give someone a gift they would love. You sound very generous. Go for it!

user1477282676 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:46:18

Islands people who are struggling for money are often ashamed of the fact......they don't need reminding of it with friends buying them basics like shoes. Even if the shoes are luxury shoes...they're still shoes.

FairyDogMother11 Wed 18-Jan-17 01:08:47

DM got me some shoes I loved as a birthday surprise. I was delighted as I wouldn't have got them for myself as it would have felt too extravagant. Similarly one of my friends got a pair of designer shoes from her sister for a milestone birthday; they are stunning and I'm very jealous - and sad because my feet are enormous so I can't borrow them grin

showmeislands Wed 18-Jan-17 04:31:03

User - I wouldn't see giving special shoes as the same thing as providing basics, and OP didn't say the recipient is struggling for money. On the basis of the info provided, it sounds like a nice thing.

showmeislands Wed 18-Jan-17 04:36:31

Ah whoops, just read there is a money element. I still think it's a nice gift, if the person is into shoes! I gave my best friend a pair of shoes I knew she'd love as a birthday present a couple of years back (and she was going through a tight period in terms of money at the time) and she adored them. She loves shoes and buying her those was a more fitting gift than spending the same amount of money on something else she would have perhaps enjoyed less. But every person will be different. OP, you know your friend!

SuffolkingGrand Wed 18-Jan-17 04:47:28

What if they don't fit?

I'm sorry but I'd be horrified if I received a pair of shoes or clothing from a friend of even family member.

I hate it when I get clothes from other people as presents (although of course I'm v grateful) as I'm not only a really tricky size but generally it feels as if they're forcing me into their fashion choices as then it means you have to wear the damn things at some point too. I never give anyone clothes as a present fir this reason, except for my kids but that's a different matter. Wouldn't it be better to get a voucher for a store where they're sold and then she can choose and get the right size etc?

Maybe she was just being polite when she said she liked the shoes?

10storeylovesong Wed 18-Jan-17 06:19:23

When I was 18 I fell in love with a pair of shoes that I couldn't afford. My friends clubbed together and bought them for me for my birthday. I was over the moon! I think it's a lovely idea

AGrinWithoutACat Wed 18-Jan-17 06:37:37

My sister buys me shoes/boots for Christmas every year - she has fab taste and I have loved every pair

daffodilssoon Wed 18-Jan-17 07:13:58

My MIL buys me beautiful shoes in the sale every year. I love them.

Catzpyjamas Wed 18-Jan-17 07:21:26

Shoes and clothing are standard presents in our family. They are always appreciated, especially if it is something even slightly extravagant that you couldn't justify buying for yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now