Talk

Advanced search

Posting for traffic: I'm parked in!!! Help!!

(28 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:43:49

I've just had a hospital appointment and came out to find some idiot has parked right behind me to the point I can't get out!!!

In desperation for a car park space he has practically parked across an entrance way to another road and so as to try and not completely block that entrance he's pulled forward as close to me as he possibly can to the point where there isn't even 2 inches between the front of his car and the back of mine.

There's a car in front of me and although the distance between us is fine due to the car behind me being so close I can't reverse at all in order to swing my car out around the one in front.

I'm wedged in and have no idea what to do!! Am I supposed to just sit here until the person who has parked behind he just turns up? They could be hours and hours!!

Mummyreindeerlegz Tue 17-Jan-17 10:46:06

If you can drive forward and into the kerb could you then reverse out of the space? Might take a lot of small moves but worth a go?

blueskyinmarch Tue 17-Jan-17 10:46:24

You will need to do an eleventy million point turn thing in order to get out. Inch by inch but you probably will get there. Get someone to help you at the back if you don’t have reversing beeps.

mortificado Tue 17-Jan-17 10:47:15

Hold the horn down. grin not helpful

Suppermummy02 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:47:56

Just nudge the car out of the way.

Suppermummy02 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:48:51

also take a picture and post it here so we can all laugh at the knobhead.

QuizteamBleakley Tue 17-Jan-17 10:48:59

PHOTO! PHOTO! PHOTO!

mortificado Tue 17-Jan-17 10:49:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sixisthemagicnumber Tue 17-Jan-17 10:52:25

As you have space in front pull the car as far forward as you can go with the steering on full lock then reverse back as far as you can go - repeat a few times and you will be out.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:55:50

I just got out my car to take a photo and the car owner turned up!!!

He was very apologetic and duly moved his car.

I'm glad to be free but gutted the drama of a parking thread had to end so quickly and so boringly!!

Sorry guys grin

Suppermummy02 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:56:56

You should look for a kindly gentleman to do the maneuver for you.

Seeline Tue 17-Jan-17 10:57:28

Is there a security guard or someone who could help?

RTKangaMummy Tue 17-Jan-17 10:57:52

Are there car park attendants that might be able to help with a 20 point turn?

Do you have to pay for time you think you will be or pay as you leave?

What I mean is you could look at the nearby cars to work out when they might return

Good luck

CasperGutman Tue 17-Jan-17 10:58:02

I bet you can get out if there's a reasonable gap in front. I used to live on a very busy road full of little student hatchbacks, and after a few years I could get my Astra into spaces rejected by students in a Ford Ka!

Seriously, you can get a car into a space with only about 18 inches total front and back, and getting out is easier.

titchy Tue 17-Jan-17 10:58:27

If there is space in front you can get out. You'll have to do eleventy-mission manouvres but you will get out. Forward on full lock clockwise. Then reverse on full lock anticlockwise. Repeat ad infinitum.

RTKangaMummy Tue 17-Jan-17 10:58:40

Cross posted but great outcome

RTKangaMummy Tue 17-Jan-17 11:00:37

That is less irritating than you struggling for 30 mins to go forward and back to leave then him turning up just as you get free

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 17-Jan-17 11:07:11

Is it the hospital car park. if so, go in and tell them. They can put a call out for the idiot or better still arrange a tow.

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 17-Jan-17 11:07:37

Sorry, xpost!

Cherylene Tue 17-Jan-17 11:08:45

Great outcome.

French method, observed in Paris, is to reverse slowly, continue reversing until the car behind is where you want it, then move forward wink

Mehfruittea Tue 17-Jan-17 11:12:54

French method, observed in Paris, is to reverse slowly, continue reversing until the car behind is where you want it, then move forward

I am assured by a French person that this is true. You have to leave your hand break off when you park, so that other drivers can nudge your car out of the way when they park!

Sundance01 Tue 17-Jan-17 11:14:41

You really have no idea why this person has done this - I remember listening to a couple giving a heart-breaking story of a phone call from the hospital telling them their daughter was dying and to get there as quick as possible - when arriving they could not park and had to abandon their vehicle anywhere and came out after their daughters death to find it had been towed.

Go in and speak to the hospital receptionists - they will have encountered this before and have a procedure. But reserve judgement on the individual until you know the whole story. This is a hospital not a DIY store - it really could have been a matter of life or death.

Of course it could also be a complete twat!

Femski Tue 17-Jan-17 11:30:36

Ah women drivers eh... Need all the space in the world...

dowhatnow Tue 17-Jan-17 11:31:16

How bloody unreasonable of him to come back so quickly and ruin a perfectly good parking thread sad

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 17-Jan-17 11:33:12

Hospital staff don't give a flying F* about your difficulty parking. You should use public transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now