Talk

Advanced search

My first AIBU! The word 'gotten'

(184 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Tue 17-Jan-17 10:25:59

Why is this creeping over the pond into our language? AIBU to be bothered about this? hmmgrin

AnUtterIdiot Tue 17-Jan-17 10:28:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eolian Tue 17-Jan-17 10:28:00

YANBU. It has GOT on my nerves often recently.

Riversiderunner Tue 17-Jan-17 10:29:18

YANBU. Can't bear it, esp when people say it KNOWING what they're doing and trying to be cool.

Tragic.

CaraAspen Tue 17-Jan-17 10:30:05

It is an older, correct form of English as retained by our American cousins. Arguably it is more correct. However, it has connotations of slang here these days so it is probably best to avoid it in most situations.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 17-Jan-17 10:31:07

YANBU. I find American English extremely irritating. I don't know if that in itself is unreasonable.

Can I get?
Working two jobs

And I don't know if it's an Americanism, or just a new thing, but when people write or say 'we've already done Scandinavia' No you haven't, you've been there, not 'done' it angry

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Jan-17 10:31:36

YANBU but whenever someone starts a thread on this subject, someone always comes along to point out that back in the day, it was normal English.

But that totally ignores the fact that most people are only saying it now, due to American influence.

It's the same as, "Can I get a cup of coffee" or "Can I get a portion of chips".

It makes my ears bleed grin

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 17-Jan-17 10:32:26

YABU. It's English. We retain it in the form of "forgotten/forgot". "Gotten" fell out of common usage at some point, but for no real reason. Language fluctuates all the time, get over it.

Look up the word "nice". It's meaning has changed a good few times.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Jan-17 10:32:43

Oh, X posted blush

CaraAspen Tue 17-Jan-17 10:34:30

"MilkTwoSugarsThanks

YABU. It's English. We retain it in the form of "forgotten/forgot". "Gotten" fell out of common usage at some point, but for no real reason. Language fluctuates all the time, get over it.

Look up the word "nice". It's meaning has changed a good few times."
smile

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Jan-17 10:34:58

Language fluctuates all the time, get over it.

Or the word 'ironic' maybe? grin grin grin

PasDevantLesElephants Tue 17-Jan-17 10:35:32

I'm SO glad you started this thread, I was worried I was the only one who had noticed!

It's truly awful, makes me wince/hoick up my judgy pants every time I see/read it.

CaraAspen Tue 17-Jan-17 10:35:40

Language evolves. That is what makes it fascinating.smile

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 17-Jan-17 10:37:17

Zzzzzz. This again. hmm

Commonly used word where I'm from (Scotland). Definitely not American.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Jan-17 10:40:04

Something else that makes me irrationally annoyed lately, is the amount of people who are starting sentences with the word 'So'.

Once you start noticing it, it's hard to stop. It's particularly annoying on the news whenever they interview someone.

"Billy Jones witnessed the fire. Can you tell us what you saw, Billy?" - So I was standing outside the building and blah blah...."

Or, "Can you tell us a bit more about the charity?" - So we're working with young people in the community...blah blah"

It just seems to have sprung up all of a sudden confused Mumsnetters are even starting threads with the word 'So'.

Imamouseduh Tue 17-Jan-17 10:40:15

It is a word though: 'Ill gotten gains'.

WonderMike Tue 17-Jan-17 10:40:33

I had a history teacher that would refuse to listen to any answer, or mark any work that used the word "got" He'd get quite mad with rage. That was 30-odd years ago, if he hasn't already died he's in Starbucks slapping a wooden ruler on the counter yelling "REDUNDANT" grin

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 17-Jan-17 10:41:22

Or the word 'ironic' maybe? grin

Tbh I don't know which meaning of it is in current usage so I have no idea whether it falls in to "ironic" or not grin

Suppermummy02 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:43:23

Gotten was an English word long b4 we colonized America. Words come in an out of fashion, tis unreasonable for one generation too try an own a language then claim their way is the only correct way two speak.

The past tense form of get is got; the past participle of got is gotten. >:D

everythingis Tue 17-Jan-17 10:43:45

Can I get is just rude. It's may I have.

GinIsIn Tue 17-Jan-17 10:45:37

YABU - it's English. As in 'begotten'.

LaurieMarlow Tue 17-Jan-17 10:45:48

Gotten is actually more correct if you're going to get all purist on our asses.

But language is not fixed, it evolves.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 17-Jan-17 10:46:32

everythingis - "Can I get through this?"

wink

PasDevantLesElephants Tue 17-Jan-17 10:48:16

My DD has started doing the 'So....' thing, I think she gets it from her bloody teacher!

everythingis Tue 17-Jan-17 10:50:50

I mean in the context of riding items in a cafe. I always feel Sorry for the staff!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: