Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think you get treated better if you are slim than if you are fat?

(119 Posts)
Ambiencepetal Tue 17-Jan-17 10:16:30

I have been fat and slim and I did notice I got treated better when I was slim than when I was fat.

I found this article too:

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/fat-discrimination-women-experiences-size-prejudice_n_3308012.html

BingBongBingBong Tue 17-Jan-17 10:17:21

I agree 100%

Soubriquet Tue 17-Jan-17 10:18:44

I don't think yabu but on the flip side I am really skinny and I get loads of judgement too

People think I'm anorexic and if I have to go to hospital, the first thing I'm always asked about is if my periods are normal.

They always look shocked that I have children and one even said my weight was the reason for my first miscarriage

WellErrr Tue 17-Jan-17 10:20:07

Humans are subliminally attracted to healthy people aren't they? Instinctively and subconsciously. That may be why.

(Just a theory, not being fattist or slim-ist)

Viviene12 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:22:19

Have been slim, have been fat, I agree with you 100%

CryptoFascist Tue 17-Jan-17 10:24:48

I lost 5 stone once on a vlcd and I noticed trivial things, as the weight loss was within six months it was easy to compare before and after.
For example the man working in the garage on my street never made eye contact and made a point of looking out of the window whenever I went in to pay. After the weight loss he was much more polite.
I noticed negativity from people too. I was suddenly excluded from group activities (but boyfriend at the time was invited) by the local Queen B--itch--, I am not gorgeous or anything but assume I was suddenly perceived as a threat to her? My attitude never changed so can only assume it was that.

Tootsiepops Tue 17-Jan-17 10:32:30

I'm absolutely not saying that this doesn't happen, because unconscious bias is definitely a thing, but having been both skinny and fat, I can honestly say I don't think I've ever experienced it myself.

NavyandWhite Tue 17-Jan-17 10:35:35

When I was very slim I would get comments asking if I was ill! Lots of concerned looks and being told I should eat more.

kimann Tue 17-Jan-17 10:37:32

No - im thin and I get judged and treated awfully sometimes - been called anorexic (I'm not even that thin btw) been asked if I take laxatives. Been given 6 year old clothes as a joke (no I'm not that small). It's awful. Once someone commented I must save a fortune because I shop in the children's department confused. Annoys the hell out of me but I've had to learn to just let it go.

Thefitfatty Tue 17-Jan-17 10:38:18

I think the issue is that being fat is seen as such a personal failure and bad thing to be, but personally and by society, that you are already walking around with the idea that you're being judged. That means a comment that wouldn't bother a slim person, like about their eating or exercising or clothing, will bother you because you take it as a judgement. I think people who look incredibly skinny face the same judgement and take things the same way.

That being said, there are certainly people who will treat very fat or very skinny people quite poorly. The same as they would anyone who stands out from the norm.

ExplodingCarrots Tue 17-Jan-17 10:42:23

I agree, but that's my own experience.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Tue 17-Jan-17 11:08:48

Of course! If we're talking slim as in healthy looking. Slim people look fit, they look like they have self control and commitment to exercise. They look like they have their lives in order as they find time to (presumably) cook good food and keep fit while (presumably) doing all the stuff that healthy and attractive people do.

People who are unhealthily overweight look like they have no self control, and like they are either lazy or disorganised.

People like to be around vibrant and healthy people. It's natural.

LivingOnTheDancefloor Tue 17-Jan-17 11:18:26

YANBU
Beautiful/tall/slim people are treated better than ugly/short/overweight ones. But not sure what can be done...

ZippyNeedsFeeding Tue 17-Jan-17 11:19:31

*Of course! If we're talking slim as in healthy looking. Slim people look fit, they look like they have self control and commitment to exercise. They look like they have their lives in order as they find time to (presumably) cook good food and keep fit while (presumably) doing all the stuff that healthy and attractive people do.

People who are unhealthily overweight look like they have no self control, and like they are either lazy or disorganised.

People like to be around vibrant and healthy people. It's natural.*
This kind of bullshit is why I tend to avoid threads like this. there is a definite pattern- poster complains about larger women (and it definitely seems to affect women more) being treated as if they are lesser, or disgusting. Some people agree and then the Body Police pile and explain that it's all fine, because fat people ARE disgusting and ought to be sneered at.

WaitrosePigeon Tue 17-Jan-17 11:19:55

Have been slim, have been fat. Agree.

Thefitfatty Tue 17-Jan-17 11:23:08

People like to be around vibrant and healthy people. It's natural.

I like to be around nice, interesting, fun, non-judgemental people. Funnily enough they come in all shapes and sizes....

TheClaws Tue 17-Jan-17 11:26:19

I'm slim, but when I was thinner I'd get packets of biscuits thrown at me. People thought I was ill/anorexic (I was neither) and had no issues asking. I've been larger, too, but didn't experience the same kind of prejudice.

Littledrummergirl Tue 17-Jan-17 11:33:12

I'm overweight and don't find this at all. If I am dressed up though with hair and make up people treat me differently to when I'm slobbing (have never caused an accident when walking down the road in scruffs).

Bambambini Tue 17-Jan-17 11:38:46

I think society/people/media are in general very judgemental about those who are fat/obese. As someone upthread said - it's seen as personal failure, lack of control etc. Other negative traits can be hidden to a degree like smoking, alcoholism, drugs, if you beat up your wife, are a shopaholic etc. You can't hide being fat - it's just so visible - which is unfare to a degree as others with far more serious issues can remain hidden.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 17-Jan-17 11:39:15

YANBU, I've been both.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 17-Jan-17 11:39:44

I'm on the fence with this. What do you consider skinny? A size 12 or 14 isn't fat but I wouldn't consider it skinny either.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 17-Jan-17 11:41:38

Have been both and agree.

Thefitfatty Tue 17-Jan-17 11:42:02

I think someone who is say a size 4 is probably treated as bad as someone whose a size 20/22 and above.

Extremes will always draw negative attention.

When I was a size 4 I received more negative attention that when I was a size 16, but the amount of grief I gave myself at 16 was worse than 4.

ChasedByBees Tue 17-Jan-17 11:44:07

I think a lot of people have really sneery attitudes like the one displayed in the post by Iwasjustabouttosaythat.

I appreciate the point about it might be self judgement and in some instances, it may be, but I think there is an external sense of disgust about overweight people.

Slim people I imagine get a different sort of judgement, around concern / jealousy even.

It would be nice if people could just get past the judging on appearance really.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Tue 17-Jan-17 11:45:21

I don't know if it is personal paranoia making larger people feel like they are being judged though? I am fat and sometimes it stops me doing stuff because I feel like people are judging. I nearly didn't go to a job interview last week because i looked in a mirror in my interview clothes and thought "they won't hire someone like me" then forced myself to go. I was horribly aware of my size whole time. I didn't get the job, but probably because I came across nervous and self conscious rather than fat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now