Talk

Advanced search

AIBU... Fuming!!

(79 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:11:26

My DP bought me a pair of GHDs for Christmas, I've used them a handful of times for 10 mins and today they have broke! To say I'm fuming is an understatement, they haven't even lasted a month!

Luckily there is a 12 month warranty and I can send them to be repaired, but now I have no faith in them and don't believe they're going to last very long! angry

I want a refund and want to buy a different brand but I know I'm not entitled to one sad

If they brake again after being repaired can I demand a refund and claim they're not fit for purpose?

MrsGB2015 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:13:46

I've had my GHDs for 8 years and they still work, you must have got a random faulty one.

HaPPy8 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:15:02

I'd be surprised if they break again! But i'd probably want a new pair (of GHDs) than a repair if it was me.

FannyWisdom Tue 17-Jan-17 07:15:41

Where did you purchase?
Bigger stores may just replace the faulty ones and let you return for a credit note.

Grindelwaldswand Tue 17-Jan-17 07:19:49

Are you sure they aren't fake ones ? Ive seen a lot of of them on Facebook before Christmas

Creampastry Tue 17-Jan-17 07:22:41

You should be able to request a new set as you had them for just a few weeks. Don't be robbed off by a repair. Same if goods act.

luckylucky24 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:27:13

Yeah I have had my GHD's for at least 8/9 years and never had a problem. I would think you have been unlucky.

KateDaniels2 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:31:05

In 16 years i have had 2 pairs of ghds. First ones lasted 10 years.

I think these are either fake or just a random faulty one. Or are they somewhere they could get stood on or dropped?

I get being disappointed or a bit annoyed. But fuming?

candy1986 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:32:10

Ive had mine 9 years and use everyday with no problems, where were they purchased?

Highalert Tue 17-Jan-17 07:32:18

They will replace them.

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Tue 17-Jan-17 07:32:43

I think you've got a rogue pair. It's like absolutely everything that is manufactured, there will always be the very rare faulty ones that slip through QC. I wouldn't write the whole brand off because of it. Had mine for almost a decade and they're as good as new.

HSMMaCM Tue 17-Jan-17 07:35:34

Dd has had hers for 7 years. They've been given the usual teenage mistreatment and still working well.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-17 07:36:56

Aren't the newer GHDs shit because they were taken over by/sold to another company!

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-17 07:37:34

That was meant to be a question, not an exclamation.

TiltedNewt Tue 17-Jan-17 07:37:44

YABU to be fuming (an understatement?!) over something so trivial. You haven't even contacted them to see what they will do.

Pengweng Tue 17-Jan-17 07:38:49

I've had mine 8 years but I don't think the new ones last as long. My sister has had a few pairs in the past 4 years and has now given up and bought a different brand.
I think when mine break I won't buy any more and would find another brand to try.
YABU to be fuming though. Slightly dramatic.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 17-Jan-17 07:40:42

Blimey, I couldn't get so angry over something so trivial!

Either he bought you a fake pair, or they are simply faulty. Just take them back to the shop, and of try are genuine and not fake they will give you another pair. It's really not a big deal!

I bought my last pair of GHD''s in 2008, they are still going strong and I use them daily.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 17-Jan-17 07:41:15

My friend had the same with a pair she bought. 3 times they had to be repaired. Under warren toy so had to send them off and wait for them back.
When they broke a 4th time she stood firm with shop she bought them from and got a refund.

NavyandWhite Tue 17-Jan-17 07:42:12

The title reminded of that woman on FB.

FUMING ME!

icelollycraving Tue 17-Jan-17 07:43:03

Yabu to be fuming. Yanbu to return them,obviously. That is quite rare for ghds. I've never hugely rated them though. My gold ones were crap. The L'Oréal steam pod is the best I've ever used & believe me I have a bit of thing for straighteners.

Nicpem1982 Tue 17-Jan-17 07:43:13

Fuming? Wow

Just contact them and see what they will do.

I've had my current pair 8 years and they're as good as new, it's clear that if the ones you have are indeed genuine then they've just slipped through the net at quality control

PlumsGalore Tue 17-Jan-17 07:44:30

Also thinking fake. I gave only had two pairs in about 15 years and the after support was great.

Dud he buy them online? Did you check the barcode serial number is genuine on the GHD site?

VeritysWatchTower Tue 17-Jan-17 07:45:08

I have my GHDs at least 8 years. They are fab.

I never understand this "fuming." It is inconvenient yes but they are still under warranty. These things happen.

Groovee Tue 17-Jan-17 07:45:39

Mine have lasted 10 years so far.

MsJamieFraser Tue 17-Jan-17 07:46:12

my ghd have lasted me 10 years and are still like new. I'm think these are fake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now