Talk

Advanced search

To think that wearing headphones in hospital is polite

(20 Posts)
NoRoomForALittleOne Tue 17-Jan-17 05:31:57

So I had some pretty major brain surgery a week ago and recovery is going as well as can be expected. I had a bit of a blip so was put back on IV fluids yesterday and the pump for the fluids is connected to the bed. Over the night, I've needed to go out to the toilet twice and both times the nurse has disconnected my drop in a way that causes the pump to alarm. This has elicited huffing from the nurse and the woman in the next bed because I'm disturbing people at night.

Grumpy woman in the next bed, however, has had her bedside TV on for much of the night. She isn't wearing headphones, the volume is fairly low but it's a constant noise that has been disrupting my sleep.

During the day, several people will have bedside TVs on without headphones in. I find the noise quite disorientating at the moment and find it bizarre that people aren't wearing headphones out of courtesy for others around them.

Am I totally outdated here? When I worked in a different hospital it was strictly headphones at all times. Is that not a thing now? AIBU?

SorrelSoup Tue 17-Jan-17 05:41:15

Don't get me started!! It is policy that headphones are worn; get them to enforce it. It's completely ludicrous. Hope you feel better soon.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 17-Jan-17 05:48:55

TV and phones conversations going on all night were real eye openers when I was in hospital,it was awful.

Raggydolly3 Tue 17-Jan-17 06:04:46

When I was in hospital a women had the telly on at one in the next bay really load at midnight When I complained to the nurses I was told that was her right angry
Got up to the toilet 10 minutes later to see two nurses sat round this women's bed watching a film on the telly with her.
About half an hour later there was lots of shouting from the bay including if you don't turn that f**king telly off I will rip it off the wall and throw it at you and the telly went off.

Raggydolly3 Tue 17-Jan-17 06:08:50

and don't even get me started at the women who played tap the frog at full volume all the way through the night on another hospital visit.
I think there should be signs saying no mobiles after 10pm and TVs must be used with headphones. I mean God forbid someone wants to actually sleep at night in a hospital to try and get better.
Something else that really wound me up was the fact that nurses and doctors seemed incapable of putting a bin lid down quietly

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 17-Jan-17 06:11:30

Oh god the fucking bin lids!!!

clippityclock Tue 17-Jan-17 06:26:22

Just ask the nurses to tell her to put the headphones on. I would always tell people to put them on and if they didn't then the tele had to go off. Its selfish.

Treaclex Tue 17-Jan-17 06:28:42

YANBU however did the hospital provide headphones? My Fil has been in and out of hospital the last 13 months and each time we've taken in headphones for him as he's slightly deaf in his old age and has his Tv up so loud at home we do not want him pissing off the other patients. Our hospital never has headphones or anywhere you can purchase them and some patients don't have relatives who can bring some in. I personally think the hospital TV's are a huge rip off angry

Sirzy Tue 17-Jan-17 06:30:26

Our local kids ward after 9pm the TVs will only work with the headphones in!

mum2Bomg Tue 17-Jan-17 06:34:08

Having actual bin lid flashbacks! Arggghhh!

mum2Bomg Tue 17-Jan-17 06:36:45

YANBU and giving people headphones sounds good until you realise people are thieving to**ers - someone nicked the stereo from the maternity ward at my local hospital. The maternity ward.

TheClaws Tue 17-Jan-17 06:42:23

I was once in a mixed hospital ward for a night. I already felt vulnerable, being ill and tired, but the man opposite me felt it was okay to have loud, emotional phone conversations late into the night, complete with swearing, wailing, description of terrible situations - it was awful. At 2am I went to the nurses' station and said I was sleeping in the visitors' red room on the couch.

NormaSmuff Tue 17-Jan-17 06:50:26

I was offered ear plugs, by god I needed them.

Waffles80 Tue 17-Jan-17 06:54:51

The night after I gave birth to twins, one of whom was taken to NICU, I was an emotional wreck after a long labour and was obviously terrified for the baby who wasn't with me. I was taken to a ward where seven other women were ALL watching fucking Big Brother. Nobody was wearing headphones. Each TV was slightly out of synch. It was torture.

Waffles80 Tue 17-Jan-17 06:55:26

OH - and silicone earplugs are amazing. Miles better than foam / rigid plastic ones.

MuteButtonisOn Tue 17-Jan-17 07:17:39

Headphones should be provided by those ripping off bastards who provide TV for £5 a day. YANBU.

NoRoomForALittleOne Tue 17-Jan-17 07:40:42

I think the TV here is free (not looked at using mine). There was a woman wondering around with a huge bag of headphones the other day, offering to give them to people for free. Every single person said "I don't need them' whilst I was muttering 'yes, you do' under my breath.

I brought some earbuds with me in case I wanted to watch TV or listen to music. I haven't used them because I don't feel that I could take the noise at the moment on top of the gushing sound in my ears and on/off tinnitus. That doesn't mean that I feel entitled to turn the sound on my mobile on though.

Putthatonyourneedles Tue 17-Jan-17 07:55:22

Our hospital got rid of the TV by each bedside thank God as all they did was cause issues as apparently as a nurse I should be able to conjure up a TV repairman at stupid o'clock in the morning. Not to mention that they were a huge rip off.

In regards to the bins they are foot operated and nine times out of ten the person using the bin can't do anything to stop the noise.

trinity0097 Tue 17-Jan-17 08:06:01

The absolute worst thing though is the beeping from the call bells when they go unanswered for hours!

I'm lucky I've been moved up to a private ward as they ran out of space in NHS beds so I have a tv in my private room, but I always have it on quiet and switch it off at 10pm at the latest.

When I was on a ward I made sure that I only rang people when it was fairly loud anyway, e.g. When others had visitors anyway and turned the sound off on my phone/iPad.

RortyCrankle Tue 17-Jan-17 13:01:36

You should transfer to the hospital I was in a couple of years ago when I had a fall. No individual tvs, no tv room, no phones by the beds, nothing. The only 'entertainment' was an Italian patient who screamed pretty much constantly, at one point telling the nurse that when she got out she would take her to Italy and take her out on her boat whereupon she would drown her smile

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now