Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for views on Sims4

(18 Posts)
Monkeyface26 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:14:23

It has a 12 rating. My dd11 would like to spend her Christmas money on it. I have read a lot of the Amazon reviews but am not really any wiser as to why it's got a 12 rating.
I know that the characters get together. How is this shown in the game? Is there any violence?
Quite a few of her friends have it - nice kids from caring, sensible families. I would be surprised if they were playing anything very inappropriate but ratings are given for a reason & I feel nervous about just saying yes to dd.

Rixera Mon 16-Jan-17 21:16:52

Those with high enough romance stats can choose to 'woohoo' in a bed/in an observatory/in a bush.
This means the two sims get under covers and some red heart icons radiate from the bed. (Or observatory, or bush). Nothing is actually seen though.
It's implied sex, hence the 12.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 21:18:03

They can build relationships and Woo-Hoo and can get cross with each other, be mean and then fight.

Google Carl's Sims 4, and your find out everything you need to know. You can see footage of it all.

I have it (am a bit addicted, far too much for a nearly 40 year old woman) and DD 9, does play it but is really more interested in building houses and having one sim who lives a very lonely existence and grows plants but is always in different outfits.

It's pretty harmless IMO.

YouTheCat Mon 16-Jan-17 21:18:04

Not sure about sims4 but I play sims3. All you see if they try for a baby is fireworks. If a sim is naked it is pixelated so you can't see anything. If there's a fight it's very much like a cartoon with fists flying. As far as I'm aware there's no bad language. Tbh I'd go for sims 3 as it has so many expansions as sims 4 is very very expensive.

trinitybleu Mon 16-Jan-17 21:18:32

No violence. When the characters "woohoo" as it's called they go under the covers and hearts appear. It's not graphic. The characters also make out and kiss passionately but it's all pretty tame.

No idea why it's a 12 ... my 9 year old plays and just does the careers and builds families with pets. You can encourage your character to have multiple partners and stuff, but it doesn't occur to her.

ImCatbug Mon 16-Jan-17 21:19:08

There is romance and sex in the game, though sex is called 'woo-hoo'. You see the characters remove clothes (no nudity, all censored), jump into bed and then the duvet move around a lot. Nothing explicit.
There's also obviously kissing and such before that.
The characters can also die, though this again is very comical and cartoonish. They can drown, starve, or die in a fire. A little grim reaper appears and a tombstone when they die.
I think these are the worst parts? If I remember correctly. It is a lot more cartoony and silly than it sounds though.

Rixera Mon 16-Jan-17 21:19:10

Also, it's been my favourite game since the sims 1 which I played as a 7 year old :') it's fine IMHO but to each their own.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 16-Jan-17 21:19:27

No pets yet in Sims4 sad

SpartacusWoman Mon 16-Jan-17 21:26:41

Agree with everyone else about it being ok for an 11 year old. Dd (same age as yours) had been playing on my old laptop since she was about 10 And the only reason she never bought her own copy was the £50 price tag on origin, she only just bought it a few weeks ago as there was a big sale and she got the actual game for £19.99 and then two expansion packs at £14.99 each, worth checking if the sale is still on. Asda also the game in cd rom for a similar price.

IndigoSister Mon 16-Jan-17 21:29:18

I would say fine for an 11 year old.

www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/the-sims-4

YouTheCat Mon 16-Jan-17 21:29:31

I bought a load of Sims3 expansions on Steam during their sale. Spent about £20. grin

elektrawoman Mon 16-Jan-17 21:41:23

My DD age 11 has SIMS 4 and I haven't come across any issues. I would say it's suitable for under 12. I agree with all the comments from posters above. Virtual Barbie is my main opinion of it!!

The main problem I have had is that I opened her a child account on EE so that she couldn't access the chat forums etc on sims 4. However this means that she can buy any expansion packs through Origin, we have to buy them through Amazon, because a child account doesn't allow you to download content, only to activate codes. It was annoying when DD wanted the free 'Celebration' pack so that she could decorate her house for Christmas, I ended up on a 30 minute online chat with a tech person at EE who eventually gave me a code, but blimey what a faff!!

elektrawoman Mon 16-Jan-17 21:42:34

Sorry that meant to say with a child account you CANNOT buy expansion packs through Origin.

Monkeyface26 Mon 16-Jan-17 23:29:44

Thank you everyone. A pretty clear consensus there. I'm glad actually. She rarely asks for things at all and she came and asked in such a mature way, acknowledging the rating etc - it was a big speech for her. I really did not want to say no. She'll be pleased to get the game but I think she will also feel good about herself for being mature and persuasive.
She doesn't need to know I checked it out with MN first!

sailorcherries Tue 17-Jan-17 03:41:22

I played the Sims my whole childhood and I was fine. She's also 11, the game is a 12, woule a few months suddenly make her more capable of understanding what she was playing?

Ncbecauseitshard Tue 17-Jan-17 07:02:51

There is violence, you can fight a character who is your enemy. But it is just a fist fight and optional.

Becles Tue 17-Jan-17 08:11:13

Random question

Does sims3 and 4 work ok o windows 10? I'm still upset that my original sims are now useless and don't want to waste money.

Rixera Tue 17-Jan-17 08:27:10

Sims 4 definitely does (not sure about 3, haven't played since updating)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now