Talk

Advanced search

Pain relief for an 11 year old?

(11 Posts)
happymumof4crazykids Mon 16-Jan-17 19:21:39

My 11 year old has sprained his thumb in the playground today I have been lucky as he very rarely ill and I can't remember the last time I gave him any calpol or nurofen. I picked up a bottle of nurofen on the way home from school and it only had a dosage for 7-9 year olds as the top dosage. I have ibruprofen here so looked on the box only age 12 and above. So what am I supposed to give an 11 year old then?

NancyDonahue Mon 16-Jan-17 19:28:26

I'd go with the children's medicine if he really needs pain relief. Have you tried ice?

CrohnicallyPregnant Mon 16-Jan-17 19:28:30

Give him the stuff for younger children but weigh him and look up what dose he can have based on his weight and the strength of the stuff.

www.nurofen.co.uk/symptoms/infants-children/ibuprofen-dosage-calculator/

Rowgtfc72 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:40:14

Dd is nine but the height and weight of a 13 yr old. We took her to the pharmacist last time she was poorly and he said to give her adult doses of medicine from now on. Luckily this is only a couple of times a year.

PoptartPoptart Mon 16-Jan-17 19:49:03

I think it depends on the child. My DS is also 11 (and 5 months). He is taller than me at 5ft 3" and weighs 9 stone. He is bigger than his 13 year old stepbrother who is both shorter and lighter. According to the instructions on the medicine, it is fine to give adult doses to the smallish 13 year old, yet not for the 11 year old - even though he is physically bigger and stronger.
I think doctors go on weight for dosage allowances.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 16-Jan-17 19:52:48

Children's medicine normally has dosage info up to 12. Sometimes even adult! I've taken calpol meltlets when I've been away with brownies and couldn't find the adult paracetamol

I bought nurofen for children for guide camp and the bottle didn't have dosewage info for over 10 but the pharmacist in boots very kindly wrote down the dose for me. I've lost it now unfortunately.

If he's a big 11 year old, he's probably fine on the adult paracetamol. If he's a small 11 I wouldn't unless on medical advice (pharmacist should be able to advise)

SoupDragon Mon 16-Jan-17 19:55:19

The details for Calprofen on Boots.com has doses for older children..

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 16-Jan-17 19:59:15

Calculate by weight - 20mg per kg is a child's total daily dose over 24 hours - so divide by 3 for one dose. That's how we did it when I trained on the paediatric wards.

Dixiechickonhols Mon 16-Jan-17 20:07:25

Child neurofen has dose up to 12. Check with pharmacist.

DarceyBushell Mon 16-Jan-17 20:26:23

Annoyingly Nurofen do a 3months-9years product and a 3months to 12years product. They have the same amount of Ibuprofen in them and so I have no idea why they are the two kinds. Anyway, any dosage you work out on the calculator will be fine.

bruffin Mon 16-Jan-17 20:30:37

If you know his weight use on line calculator. DS was on adult dose from age 10 because of height and weight (calculated in A&e)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now