Talk

Advanced search

To say the gym has saved my sanity

(30 Posts)
Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 15:50:00

Posting for traffic and maybe I'm BU for posting on AIBU but I would like to just emphasise how going to the gym, or any exercise is is a must for anyone suffering from stress,anxiety or depression.
Over the past few weeks, due to marital problems, I have felt very low in mood and suffering panic attacks. Some days I have felt absolutely crap but have forced myself to head off and go to our local council run sports facility and spend half an hour on the running machine and rower plus weights. By the time I leave I can feel those endorphins kick in and I feel I can conquer the world albeit for a short while. The euphoria fades but I'm left in a much calmer,happier state of mind.

I also do two hours dog walking but that doesn't do it for me, although it's good to be out in the fresh air. I realise I'm fortunate in the respect I work part time and my children are now grown up so I have the time,but if I can encourage anyone to try joining a gym then I am NBU posting this.

Flowerydems Mon 16-Jan-17 15:53:40

I think it's great to hear something positive about exercise. I'm 12 days after a section so can't do the gym yet but reading things like this remind me how much it's going to help my depression getting back to it

bigbluebus Mon 16-Jan-17 15:54:29

Well done to you. I have been going to the gym for years in order to deal with my stressful life. I have recently gone through another very stressful time and am just coming out of the other side with some huge changes ahead. I can feel my anxiety kicking back in and am determined that I will tackle it through exercise rather than medication - which I know would be prescribed within minutes of stepping through the GP's door.

QueenMortificado Mon 16-Jan-17 15:55:43

I absolutely agree. I know different things work for different people but if I don't work out I feel progressively more sad and feel bleak about things.

Going for a workout really boosts my mood. Even just a long walk in the fresh air does so much good.

Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 16:00:44

That's right Flowerydems sometimes we need reminding that we need to look after ourselves and make the time. Hope you have a speedy recovery from your section.
bigbluebus I'm sorry you've been through stressful times. I'm going to the GP this week to see if I can access councilling. I've been on ADs but they give me restless legs so I don't want to go down that route again.

Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 16:03:31

Yes QueenMortificado bleak is such a good word that sums up how people can feel particularly in January in the U.K.- grey skies and my garden is just like a mud bath when I let the dogs out.

megletthesecond Mon 16-Jan-17 16:05:40

Yanbu. Gym / running / swimming / yoga keeps me sane. I'm a total lp and prioritise gym on my days off.

Mindtrope Mon 16-Jan-17 16:10:01

I agree.

Going to the gym regularly means I can earn more money!

Notso Mon 16-Jan-17 16:14:17

I wish I felt this way about exercise. I just feel achey after any kind of workout.

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:15:01

I agree exercise also helps the mind, I think whatever you are carrying on your shoulders disappears during the session and when you come out it is much lighter.

SwearyGodmother Mon 16-Jan-17 16:15:03

I would like to just emphasise how going to the gym, or any exercise is is a must for anyone suffering from stress,anxiety or depression

No it's not. Not for anyone suffering from these things. I don't disagree that for some peopl suffering stress, anxiety and depression (or indeed most sufferers) it's a good thing but for some of us exercise becomes another layer of anxiety and damages our mental health more.

I appreciate you're trying to help and be positive, OP, but these blanket statements about MH really piss me off. I get told a lot by laypeople to exercise to help my MH but my doctors and psych team have had me on an exercise ban (exercise addiction as part of anxiety/ED) for some time.

One remedy doesn't fit all. I miss exercising and how I could do it when I was healthy, comments about how it would help my MH make me feel like crap because I so want to do it.

DotForShort Mon 16-Jan-17 16:15:18

Exercise is definitely linked to mood in my case. Of course, the problem can be that exercise seems impossible when one is feeling so miserable that getting out of bed is an effort. But when I can force myself into doing some physical activity it becomes a virtuous circle: more exercise leads to better mood, better mood leads to more exercise.

PurpleMinionMummy Mon 16-Jan-17 16:17:06

Yanbu. It's benefits for mental health are fantastic. It's a frustratingly catch 22 situation if you're so depressed/anxious you can't motivate yourself to do exercise in the first place though.

formerbabe Mon 16-Jan-17 16:38:42

Me too...the gym really helps my anxiety.

SquinkiesRule Mon 16-Jan-17 16:41:34

It helps my anxiety too, I wouldn't go if Dh didn't encourage me boot me out the door and I grumble, but it puts me in a much better frame of mind.
I can understand how it's hard for many to actually get themselves into the right frame of mind to even visit the gym however.

Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 16:43:40

Ah yes swearyGodMother I get you! It's not a solution for everyone and it can get irritating being preached to by people so yes I am BU to imply it is helpful to all.

QueenMortificado Mon 16-Jan-17 16:47:09

SwearyGodmother

I agree that one solution doesn't work for everyone, and if it helps for you to watch Netflix and get cosy under a blanket instead of exercising then all for that smile

SwearyGodmother Mon 16-Jan-17 16:51:56

I'm being grumpy and jealous. I miss exercising and how good it made me feel before the crazy took over. I do wish I could do it safely but that's not in my capability at the moment. Netflix and blankets are where it's at for me.

On the Netflix point if you want a film that is great for the soul I heartily recommend Hunt for the Wilderpeople. One of the most peculiarly uplifting films ever - and totally not cheesy.

formerbabe Mon 16-Jan-17 17:06:51

Everyone has their own things which help them. Whilst exercise does help me, I also find watching my favourite TV shows also helps, especially comedies!

PussInCoutts Mon 16-Jan-17 17:25:46

Exercising 5 minutes a day has done absolute wonders for my mood. I grew up hating exercise but would like to encourage anyone to just do 5 minutes every morning - it has made such a difference to my energy levels and mindset. I do a silly 3 minute dance with lots of jumping and then just 10 push ups and 10 tricep push ups, that's all.

My DS is amazed I am suddenly able to lift him up again! (He's 10)

I never had the persistence to keep showing up to the gym for more than a few months at a time. 5 minutes a day is so simple and yet so effective. I suffer from depression and although the meds keep me relatively sane, the exercise has provided a definite boost. I might increase it to 6 minutes per day soon

Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 17:25:57

Also friends help SO much. A special thank you to my lovely friend who might see this. She has been a star with sound, sensible advice and she makes great coffee too.
MN has also been my port in a storm and wine.....

Mindfuckdailymailisshit Mon 16-Jan-17 17:29:15

My biceps haven't been this strong since my 20s as I'm once again able to easily remove cork from wine with an ordinary cork screw ( not the lever type) . Feeling proud grin

Surreyblah Mon 16-Jan-17 17:31:28

Here's to that OP! wine

Joiningthegang Mon 16-Jan-17 17:34:05

I agree completely - I did a bootcamp type group outside 3 x a week and when I stopped really noticed the difference - went back and feeling much better physically and emotionally
Yanbu!

Sirzy Mon 16-Jan-17 17:35:21

I saw a picture on Facebook which said "exercise is the most underused anti-depressant" - I don't think I have ever agreed with one of those pictures more.

For me it's mainly running but any exercise works! Run England have a big mental health project ongoing to highlight the benefits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now