Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not an AIBU but would this be bad (work/resignation related)

(15 Posts)
VladmirsPoutine Mon 16-Jan-17 14:43:24

When I started my current job my manager told me that she had doubts about hiring me. She was right. I didn't particularly like the role but have got on with it nonetheless.
I'm planning on resigning at the end of this month but my notice period will take me right up until just before our busiest period. So if I leave then I'll basically be dropping my current team in the shit - I'm sure they'll manage somehow but I don't feel good leaving right before the busiest period of our job. My other manager has since told me that I'm getting on with things well but everyday I'm thinking of resigning.

VladmirsPoutine Mon 16-Jan-17 14:44:31

I suppose should I just resign at the end of this month and be done with or hang on to see what happens?
I don't have another job lined up.

TheSparrowhawk Mon 16-Jan-17 14:44:55

You can resign whenever you like.

PaintingOwls Mon 16-Jan-17 14:46:41

You need to find a job first. It's incredibly stupid to resign without something lined up.

user17896 Mon 16-Jan-17 14:46:47

If you are sure you want to resign then I would get on and do it. How long is your notice period? That will give them some time to replace you.

MrsDustyBusty Mon 16-Jan-17 14:48:02

I wouldn't worry about the busiest period. Your notice allows them to pay, and for that in advance. Clearly, you're unhappy in the job so you should leave. You won't get the time served doing stuff you hate on the misguided fear that any of us are irreplaceable back,

LIZS Mon 16-Jan-17 14:49:50

There will never be a "good" time. Can you afford to not work indefinitely?

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 16-Jan-17 14:52:08

Put your needs first, the notice period is there for employers to find a replacement before the current team member leaves, it's not on you to fix

VladmirsPoutine Mon 16-Jan-17 15:01:03

Thanks, tbh I can't afford to not work which is why I'm handing it at the end of the month.

VladmirsPoutine Mon 16-Jan-17 15:02:02

Notice period is 4 weeks. Can I just confirm if I hand it in on 31 Jan, then I'd be leaving on 28 Feb? Correct?

if you can't afford not to work would it not make sense to stay until you have a new job? better to apply for jobs whilst employed than explaining why you resigned.

Otherpeoplesteens Mon 16-Jan-17 15:41:17

If your manager is telling you that she had doubts about hiring you without specifically addressing a performance issue, then that's well on the road to constructive dismissal, particularly if the other manager praises your performance. You're unhappy because you're being bullied.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 16-Jan-17 16:05:26

If you can't afford not to work then you shouldn't hand in notice without another job to go to

But it doesn't matter when you do it

Kyyria Mon 16-Jan-17 16:30:38

Just as a side note, if you resign and struggle to find a job then you won't be entitled to JSA as you will have left your job of your own accord.

GeillisTheWitch Mon 16-Jan-17 17:41:57

I used to work in retail and had a horrible bully of a boss. I handed in my notice at a time that dropped her in it, a few weeks before a big stock take that had to go well as the previous one had been a shambles. I felt no guilt about it. I did have another job lined up though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now