Talk

Advanced search

to have called in sick this morning

(112 Posts)
N1ghtshade Mon 16-Jan-17 09:25:31

Because I didn't feel like commuting to kindergarten, -- ds who is 4 says she never wants to go back.-- my laundry needs major attention, house is a mess, my hair is a mess too, nothing decent to wear because.. laundry.

More importantly I don't want my just turned 10 year old DS to come home to an empty house --and watch tv all afternoon
--
Also in my team, two have left, one starts maternity leave in a week, and the remaining person apart from me has his contract ending next month with no guarantee of renewal--
--
DH has a well paying job, i earn about half of what he does but mine is contract based and only guaranteed until Jan next year. I had to reapply for my own position to avoid redundancy in April.

We are not on the housing ladder yet, and our goal this year was to save enough for a deposit. ( I'm probably being naive but I think we could save this amount by me staying home on sick leave for the rest of the year) 3 other people men have done this and basically got full pay for half the year until they quit. I've worked at this job for over 6 years now with no scope for promotion or variation of work, and I'd like to work for myself as a web developer, or online marketer.

AIBU to stay home for the rest of the year?
DS has dyslexia and is in the final year of primary school. DD will be starting school next year and I feel like I should be bonding with her before that begins, and DS 2,5 needs potty training which isn't happening in kindergarten setting.

fussygalore118 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:27:47

Are you actually asking if it's ok to be sat at home pretending to be ill and getting paid for it?

AnotherUsedName13 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:28:00

But you're not sick. So how would you get signed off for six months unless you're planning to lie to a doctor?

IHeartKingThistle Mon 16-Jan-17 09:28:04

Are you sick?

Wishforsnow Mon 16-Jan-17 09:28:34

So you want the pay cheque but don't want to actually work for it?

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 09:29:05

You're not sick though. confused

SoupDragon Mon 16-Jan-17 09:29:09

Of course YABU.

But I assume you aren't serious and are just having a whinge.

ShutTheFridgeUp Mon 16-Jan-17 09:29:53

On what grounds would you get signed off by the doctor? I'm not sure catching up with laundry and bonding count as sickness.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 16-Jan-17 09:30:06

The rest of the year? Are you kidding?

Of course YABU. That's either someone's business or the public purse you are planning on fleecing

Perfectlypurple Mon 16-Jan-17 09:30:18

I thought this had to be a joke but I manage people who think like you. If you don't want to work then resign.

user1478860582 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:30:24

What you're asking is how you can be a SAHM, but not lose your wage?

hmm

I would be livid if my colleague called in sick when they were fine

Putthatonyourneedles Mon 16-Jan-17 09:32:09

Wow. You do know that would be fraud?

lastqueenofscotland Mon 16-Jan-17 09:34:02

YABU
Pretending to be sick when you are not is gross misconduct in most work places. It's not your works fault you/your DP can't be fucked to clean your house in your own time.

Maudlinmaud Mon 16-Jan-17 09:34:46

Leave your job and become a sahm.
Simples.

GinIsIn Mon 16-Jan-17 09:35:50

hmm

NormaSmuff Mon 16-Jan-17 09:35:52

it is blue monday, for you at least.
yabu to stay home for the rest of the year.
surely you need to actually resign?

plimsolls Mon 16-Jan-17 09:37:55

I think sometimes a sick day when you're knackered and overwhelmed by life admin stuff can be justifiable as I think it can fall under stress or exhaustion prevention (the emotional equivalent of taking one day to rest and sleep to stave off a virus vs keeping going and being ill for a week).

However I don't understand the stuff about 6 months of sick leave. That's a big deal and I think it's quite hard to get signed off for that long even if you're ill. And you're not! Are you?! I think it's a bit of a myth you can just get a doc to sign you off for no reason, if that's what you're hoping for.

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 16-Jan-17 09:38:28

We all have days when we feel like this. YABU but you know that. Have a day out today and I'm sure tomorrow will look brighter.

NerrSnerr Mon 16-Jan-17 09:38:36

You'll need a sick note. Are you going to lie to the doctor? What are you going to say is wrong with you?

KateDaniels2 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:38:44

And this is why companies dont want to offer good sick packages. Because people take the piss.

CocktailQueen Mon 16-Jan-17 09:39:44

Are you mad?? Of course you can't. That would be lying.

treaclesoda Mon 16-Jan-17 09:39:44

I'd love to believe this is a wind up, but there are a small minority of people who do actually think this way, so who knows?

OP, what you want is to be a SAHM. Which is fine and dandy if that's what you want. But the deal with being a SAHM is that you don't get to keep your salary. So you need to pick one or the other.

NormaSmuff Mon 16-Jan-17 09:40:39

you wont save money by being on sick leave by 6 months. though. you will spend more on keeping the house warm, using the internet, boiling the kettle, etc.,

plimsolls Mon 16-Jan-17 09:41:13

Sorry not 6 months, the rest of the year. Don't know why I thought you'd said 6 months.

If you want to be a SAHM or a web developer, you & DH need to make a plan about managing on his salary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now