Talk

Advanced search

To be slightly concerned about bruises on DDs leg?

(22 Posts)
PamBalam Mon 16-Jan-17 08:24:13

DH thinks I am, and I probably am, but I just wanted to check.

DD has just turned two, and goes to nursery three days per week while I'm at work. Has done since she was six months old.

She loves it. Skips in in the morning, playing happily when we collect her at night. She seems genuinely happy there and the staff are lovely. I believe that they genuinely do care about their kids and while it's not cheap, we haven't had a moments bother with them.

After Christmas she was moved up to the 2-3 room. Only been a couple of weeks, but again she seems happy, smooth transition (after having previously been warned by the nursery that some kids find this a difficult move). She see,s very excited when we're walking to her new room and I'm already seeing changes in her behaviour/development. So far so good.

On Friday when she came home, I was changing her nappy and I noticed two bruises on her thigh. Bruises etc don't usually bother me, it happens, but these were long and tbh looked like they could be finger marks. They weren't terrible, just noticeable. I showed DH who agreed that they could be finger marks.

I said I was a bit concerned and maybe we should speak to the room senior. He said said "she's a nightmare getting her nappy changed - maybe it was just an accident during that or something? I think we should say nothing just now and wait and see if it happens again. If it does, we could maybe raise it then".

Is he right? Or is he being typically too laid back? As I said, DD still seems happy.

Headachehattie123 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:27:02

How long were the marks and was there one on each leg?

PamBalam Mon 16-Jan-17 08:28:03

I'd say 1-2 inches, on the outside of her right thigh. Like two parallel lines.

PamBalam Mon 16-Jan-17 08:28:47

Horizontal parallel lines

Headachehattie123 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:30:48

Was there not another on the inside of the thigh?
Just thinking if it was enough force to leave a bruise there would be one from the thumb on the inside?

PamBalam Mon 16-Jan-17 08:32:35

I didn't notice a third on the inside but that makes sense. I will have a check next time I change her nappy.

It could be that's she's just run into something of course. But I'd hate myself if something was going on and I did nothing. But maybe I'm overthinking.

Headachehattie123 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:34:54

I would probably ask them only in case they thought it was happening at home - not sure if they are scaremongering threads or not but you do see them on here that nurseries report anything they deem suspicious and at that age children can't talk for themselves so it makes it difficult to know what's happening

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 16-Jan-17 08:36:46

Is there a bruise on the opposite side of the thigh? I can see that you might get finger tip bruising but to get finger bruises like you describe you would surely need to apply an awful lot of pressure and would need to get the thigh in a whole hand grip which would leave a thumb mark on the opposite side.

fourcorneredcircle Mon 16-Jan-17 08:38:49

I'm a teacher and sometimes I get long line bruises from the kids tables as I lean over them (I do bruise easily!). Normally on my thighs as that's where the edge of the table is. Any chance it could be something similar? I'm thinking small children's tables/chairs/toy boxes could be that sort of height?

TeaBelle Mon 16-Jan-17 08:39:54

That description certainly doesn't match with a typical grab bruisecwhich would be more finger tip shaped. Fingers also don't run parallel to each other and aren't uniform length/ sizes.

Jellybean85 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:44:25

Agree with Pp that it doesn't sound like a grab bruise which tend to present in fingertip shape.
Worth mentioning though just seeing if they know what happened. They have a duty to report if they see something and they consider it suspicious, might be worth just pointing it out

someonestolemynick Mon 16-Jan-17 08:48:18

Hmm. Mention it and definitely keep an eye - to cover yourself as well.

I do bruise very easily, especially on my leg though so it may be nobody's fault.

Sundance01 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:54:20

Mt feeling is the title is spot on - you should be slightly concerned. There are a million and 1 ways how she could have got bruised accidently without anyone knowing. You have no evidence this actually happened at nursery - bruises can take a while to come out - it could have happened at home.

Jot it down in a diary and keep an eye on your daughter - you will soon see if anything similar occurs again and then you can speak to the nursery.

PamBalam Mon 16-Jan-17 09:08:02

Thank you!! I feel a lot better now. I'm a bit clueless about this sort of stuff. Four, it could something like that. They also have a slide with a ladder and she's obsessed with it. It could be that.

BertieBotts Mon 16-Jan-17 09:16:18

Yes go and speak to someone high up, it's worth mentioning. If it was an accident then no harm done and your mind will be at rest. If something serious has happened they need to know.

Not sure why the possibility of it being an accident means ignore, anyway? It might be that they can change the way they do some things to avoid accidents like this in the future, for example if it was caused by her getting stuck in a gate or a particular toy.

Belleblush Mon 16-Jan-17 09:23:27

I'm also a teacher and constantly get long bruises on my thighs from banging into tables. I would mention it to the nursery though.

Treaclex Mon 16-Jan-17 09:29:25

Definitely mention it to nursery to make them aware you are not accusing them and by highlighting they won't accuse you either. Kids get lots of bruises at this age some can be easily explained where as others cannot. I agree with the others that it doesn't sound typical to a grab / slap.

Headachehattie123 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:30:07

Mention or you will continue to worry but I wouldn't have thought it was anything sinister if no bruise on other side, but they may be wondering what you're wondering so on that I would speak to them

Miserylovescompany2 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:35:24

The bruises are unexplained, so I would ask. There could be a very simple explanation? I'd just keep an eye on things. At that age children tend to be a bit more rough and tumble. They also interact more with each other.

If they were fingertip, then you'd also have a thumb mark.

Miserylovescompany2 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:37:43

Ah, the slide would make sense. If she was climbing and someone was behind (another child) then pressure would be placed on the front of thighs..

Stumbleine Mon 16-Jan-17 10:18:45

Thanks for those tips smile
How is everyone doing? I'm quite pleased have lost 5lb in the last 2 weeks. I am definitely putting it down to the running as I haven't been particularly good on the diet front!

Stumbleine Mon 16-Jan-17 10:19:19

So sorry, wrong thread!! blushblushblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now