Talk

Advanced search

To think that refugees have to go somewhere

(11 Posts)
malificent7 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:20:41

Merkel has been criticised by many including Trump for 'allowing' terroism because of her liberal immigration policy.

Im no expert but i rekon that foreign intervention in the middle east ( US/UK) has contributed to instability.... largely to do with our oil related interests out there. I call them cynically oil wars.

I dont think we should be surprised that there should be refugees. I feel for them and i believe that we should all have a quota. Its not ideal and it does open pandoras box but what is the alternative?

We cant leave them to die. Trump's stance on this makes me sad bug does he have a point about Merkel and the recent attacks?

Im no expert but i reckon political instability

malificent7 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:21:34

The last line was a phone error.

Pluto30 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:24:37

There's been instability in the Middle East for thousands of years... it's not a new phenomenon.

You can't allow millions of people to flood into your country without proper vetting, without adequate housing, without adequate social services/public transport/jobs etc. and without ensuring that the people already living there are 1) as safe as before and 2) not suffering the social/economic consequences

Merkel's policy has been a miserable, abject failure.

toomuchtooold Mon 16-Jan-17 06:39:26

I live in a town in Germany - about 20,000 people, now including 500 or s refugees. It's been absolutely fine. The authorities have been encouraging local businesses to offer positions and apprenticeships and you can start to see this happen now. Some of the refugee kids are now at kindergarten with my kids. It's working fine. Germany's a well organised and rich country and it can afford to take care of these people for the short time that it will take for them to get on their feet - and then they will be a huge asset to Germany, as the birth rate here is very low and the whole system currently depends on a measure of immigration just to keep the pensions being paid.

I go to my bed at night better able to sleep because of Merkel's policy. This country has saved those people. I daresay the second million would be harder to integrate than the first, but I'm still immensely proud to call this country my home after what they did. And it should have provided the breathing space to make a decent coordinated response to the refugee crisis from the EU countries, giving a decent chunk of money to Turkey and the other countries with border camps, and to Greece where the conditions in the refugee camps are awful but everyone seems to have forgotten that the Greek state nearly failed during the Eurozone crisis, which hasn't actually gone away, only stopped being talked about. But instead the EU is now focused on fucking Brexit.

Jay2188 Mon 16-Jan-17 07:51:48

These country's will always be the same until the people native to that country decide it's time for change, intervention helps but as soon as it's gone they slip back.. let them be if they want a war with the west let them bring it to us instead of sending aid and soldiers over decade after after decade, now the only reason they use terror is because they are too cowardly to put a uniform on and do it properly... of course it's terrible for the innocent citizens caught up in the mess but it's up to them to change it.

wishparry Mon 16-Jan-17 08:23:41

If I was in a war torn country with bombs and gunfire going off constantly,I wouldn't hesitate to get my children to safety.
I do feel for these people and think we should help provide them with a life they don't have to live in fear.

NotStoppedAllDay Mon 16-Jan-17 08:44:10

Germany may be well equipped and able to deal with it

But not the UK. Everyone already here is struggling already

Can you imagine how giving work/apprenticeship to only refugees would go down

Pluto30 Mon 16-Jan-17 08:50:18

Germany may be well equipped and able to deal with it

They're not though. If they were equipped to deal with it, they wouldn't be having the issues they are, and Merkel's popularity wouldn't have taken the nose dive that it has. Not only did she vow to take in this massive amount of refugees without proper vetting, she's also risked Germany's own economic stability by pulling other EU countries out of the shit every 5 seconds. Germany is not infallible.

user1471596238 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:35:57

I do think that we can and should be willing to accept a certain amount of refugees and I think that we have a moral duty to do so. I agree that it is not possible to have a complete open door policy but we do have the capability of taking in a number of people if the government invests in infrastructure to support it. Whether the government would be willing to do so is another question. How one vets people without any knowledge of their backgrounds I do not know but we do have a history of welcoming refugees into the country so clearly where there's a will.....

toomuchtooold Mon 16-Jan-17 12:38:25

Germany may be well equipped and able to deal with it. But not the UK. Everyone already here is struggling already

It's went right down the toilet since I left in 2014 then? I must have been in one of those liberal elite bubbles, oh wait no I lived in Croydon. Britain's not poor, it's got a housing crisis and a nasty government.

Can you imagine how giving work/apprenticeship to only refugees would go down

They're not giving them only to refugees, they're being encouraged to consider them. And they are. (West) Germany's done this stuff before, they're good at it. And sure, Angela Merkel's popularity has gone down, for some people - but that's what leadership is, doing the right thing even though it might cost you personally. That's a generation of people that woman saved.

Twogoats Mon 16-Jan-17 12:47:43

I agree, we do have a duty to take some.

However, advertising this is a bad idea as it would lead to another "Merkel Walk", which will encourage huge, unmanageable, numbers to migrate quickly.

Also, I believe that our money will go further in the refugees' home countries. How many homes could we rebuild in Syria for the price of housing one family in the UK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now