Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think I need to report this? Or that I might lose job?

(156 Posts)
PrincessCarrieFisher Sun 15-Jan-17 21:04:58

I've found out recently that a few people in my company do drugs.

Not at work, obviously, but they do it regularly outside of work. If they have done it outside of work, then I wouldn't know about it.

One of these people is a very very close friend, and it's no secret that we are good friends

Do I need to report? Drugs are strictly forbidden in our employee contracts. If it came to be known that I knew, and didn't say anything, I might get into trouble...

Part of me thinks that it's off work premises so it's none of my business

TheSpottedZebra Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:16

I'd say ignore.
Unless they're pilots flying wasted or on comedown, or surgeons etc...

gamerwidow Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:29

Don't report it unless they are coming to work under the influence of drugs.
Outside of work what they do is they're own business.

HeirOfNothingInParticular Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:34

I take it you're not doing them, or with them when they are? In that case it's none of your business and you should not get involved in gossip.

SausageFarmer Sun 15-Jan-17 21:11:30

Depends what profession you're in.

sparechange Sun 15-Jan-17 21:14:01

If the company felt strongly about it, they would include the right to carry out random drug tests in contracts

I'm not sure what shopping them will gain for you

Twinkladdictmum Sun 15-Jan-17 21:14:04

Unless it affects their work, in the same way as alcohol might, it is none of your business.

And anyway how might you prove it? Running to HR saying complaining that Debbie from accounts sniffs a bit of marching powder on a weekend, will make you look daft.

PrincessCarrieFisher Sun 15-Jan-17 21:20:11

Thanks for the replies!

There had been a similar post recently about someone knowing about another person's personal trading account (again, prohibited in the contract and they did it outside work hours) but everyone on that thread was like REPORT!!!!

So that got me thinking about my own situation.

TheOtherGalen Sun 15-Jan-17 21:20:19

Depends what drugs, too. Heroin? Might be report-worthy. Marijuana? Probably not.

PrincessCarrieFisher Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:27

It's interesting why one situation got the reaction not to report while the other was to report when the circumstances aren't that different

PrincessCarrieFisher Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:59

I think it's cocain?! I can't be sure and I certainly don't every party with them or do drugs

PickledCauliflower Sun 15-Jan-17 21:24:56

Do your employers carry out regular drug testing? I know some employers do this. If they do, let them discover it themselves.
Unless of course, the job buts others at risk - if colleagues are under the influence. If not, I would stay out of it.

timeforabrewnow Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:03

How do you know they do cocaine then?

Mrsmadevans Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:06

Nope don't do it unless they are endangering another imho

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:28

It's interesting why one situation got the reaction not to report while the other was to report when the circumstances aren't that different

Trading account could mean it that it affects not only their job but the business too.

The two situations aren't comparable.

maggiethemagpie Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:34

Very very hard to prove. I work in HR and we have an employee we're convinced is taking cocaine at work, keeps going off the loos, sniffing and acting agitated and we cannot do anything to prove it, unless we call the police. We've asked him outright and he denied so we can't take any further action.

So I don't know how in the hell you would prove unsubstantiated rumours to your employer.

You sound a bit sanctimonious OP. Why do you want to shop a close friend?

WineIsMyMainVice Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:49

Just ignore it. You can't get into trouble for not saying anything unless it's specifically stated in your contract.

Oblomov16 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:27:39

I am shocked you even need to ask. Or that you even considered reporting. hmmCan you not see the difference between the 2 comparisons you gave?

Either the company has random tests.
Or it's against company rules.
Or, it's affecting their work. If neither of those apply, then what they do outside of work is none of your business.

19lottie82 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:50

Really? None of your business. Keep out of it. Why do you even care what they get up to outside of work time?
HR won't care and you will look like a goody two shoes brown noser.

PrincessCarrieFisher Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:11

Piglet- in most cases a personal trading account of someone who isn't a very rich employee will not affect the business.

Drugs could similarly affect the business if an employee is say, checking financials or making payments under the influence

Oblomov16 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:54

If you 'snitched' on them, your friendship would be over. And many other employees would give you the cold shoulder, presumably?

Twinkladdictmum Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:56

OP were you expecting most people to shudder and clutch their pearls?

Twinkladdictmum Sun 15-Jan-17 21:31:12

Drugs could similarly affect the business if an employee is say, checking financials or making payments under the influence

But that's the case with alcohol yet presumably you wouldnt whinge about that?hmm

Oblomov16 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:24

Affect them all work? How? Cocaine? If they take it at the weekend, how is it going to affect them at work, Monday to Friday?
How long do you think the affects of cocaine last?

Aspiringcatlady Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:30

It depends on the profession. If you are in a position where you are caring for people or in charge of machinery or vehicles etc then you do need to report if you are working in an office or a shop then you don't.
Although I am strongly against drugs, if it is not effecting your work then it is no ones business what they choose to do in their spare time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now