Talk

Advanced search

To think this person should not be a biology teacher?

(251 Posts)
baublegirl454 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:53:05

My son is yr 8, and had had concerns about his biology teacher for a while. She has often been totally unprepared for their lessons so they are told to just read from their textbooks, she can't use the whiteboard & often sets incomprehensible homework or on subjects that they haven't studied yet. She is new, so we hoped these were just teething issues and would improve. Howe er, DS came home on Friday and announced that she has said that she doesn't believe in Evolution and (I quote) 'I don't believe an explosion (I.e. The Big Bang) could create a house'
WTF????
Would we be unreasonable to approach the school about this?!

Kennington Sun 15-Jan-17 19:56:24

Good grief I would go nuts. Fair enough if it was the RE teacher.
Are you sure she wasn't joking?

PickAChew Sun 15-Jan-17 19:56:32

She needs to keep her religious beliefs out of the science lab where they conflict with well grounded scientific theories that kids need to learn about. You wouldn't be unreasonable.

SpeakNoWords Sun 15-Jan-17 19:57:03

What kind of school is it?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 15-Jan-17 19:58:17

Big Bang theory is often disputed by reputable scientists.

Evolution? Erm, not so much.

I'd go and see the head or whoever most appropriate.

baublegirl454 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:58:31

No, she wasn't joking. It was said seriously apparently, and she doesn't make jokes as a rule.
It is a grammar school - prides itself on the quality of their teaching apparently 🙄

QueenofLouisiana Sun 15-Jan-17 19:59:34

I teach in a faith academy and I am really careful not to state my own opinions on stuff like this! I present the creation story from the Bible as one set of ideas (and teach other creation stories as part of a term's topic work) and the theory of evolution as another set of ideas.

SpeakNoWords Sun 15-Jan-17 20:02:25

I'd probably ask for clarification from the teacher first and then follow up if you're not happy with the response.

EweAreHere Sun 15-Jan-17 20:04:45

Put what she has allegedly said in writing, as well as the other statements about her lack of preparation and the inappropriate homework setting, and take it to the Head of her Department.

If you don't feel like you're getting anywhere, go higher, and copy the Board of Governors.

BarbarianMum Sun 15-Jan-17 20:10:36

Gosh Queen I hope you're not presenting creationism anywhere except a religious education class. It's a religious belief, not a scientific theory.

SpeakNoWords Sun 15-Jan-17 20:13:11

Totally agree, Barbarian!

Naicehamshop Sun 15-Jan-17 20:13:28

Queen ?? confused

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 15-Jan-17 20:14:18

I find it hard to believe that anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is a properly qualified biology teacher and I would definitely be raising it further.

BarbarianMum Sun 15-Jan-17 20:14:55

I was commenting on QueenofLouisiana's post

baublegirl454 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:14:57

Thanks all, Ewe will do that 👍

firsttimemum15 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:15:36

Im sorry, im not sure i follow with how that mwans she doesnt believe in creation. To me that quote only sounds like she is discrediting the Big Bang not evolution so I would be incredibly clear first.

In my exoerience grammar schools are a law unto themselves and often opetate very differently to state scools teachers do not even need to be qualified to teach in them.... i could go on...

CockacidalManiac Sun 15-Jan-17 20:15:52

Teachers should not be promoting unscientific bullshit to children.

SpeakNoWords Sun 15-Jan-17 20:16:21

Grammars are state schools. Do you mean academies?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 15-Jan-17 20:17:15

I would complain

If I'm honest I would complain about Queens teaching too.

Naicehamshop Sun 15-Jan-17 20:18:28

Do you mean private schools firsttime?

TeenAndTween Sun 15-Jan-17 20:18:33

Grammar schools are generally state schools though (apart from the private schools that have Grammar in their name).

baublegirl454 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:19:15

She stated that she didn't believe in evolution because God created everything. She also stated that she didn't believe in the Big Bang. Sorry, that wasn't clear

baublegirl454 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:20:07

This is a state grammar school, although it is now an academy (as is practically every other state school in the area)

firsttimemum15 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:20:35

Yes, I mean provate schools. Sorry. All the grammar achools in my area are private. So sorry for the confusion.

Still dont understanf the quote though. To me its as if she was saying she doesnt believe in the Big Bang not evolution.

firsttimemum15 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:21:34

Ah ok. So if she doesnt believe in the big bang or evolution what did she offer instead out of curiosity.

Is it a private school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now