Talk

Advanced search

Work moving me onto project I don't want, no reason given

(9 Posts)
MinesaBottle Sun 15-Jan-17 18:34:38

I've been in my current role for about a year, won't say too much as it's fairly niche but it involves a lot of relationship building and working closely with stakeholders. There are 2 colleagues who do the same role but each with a different department. My boss, in our 1-1 last week, mentioned that her boss has decided to move me onto something else. She didn't really give a reason. Later when chatting to one of the 2 colleagues, she mentioned she'd been told about this and that she herself had been told she wouldn't be moving in order to maintain consistent relationships. I find this totally inconsistent as we are both in the same situation!

My stakeholders won't be pleased as until I came along they'd had constant changes in support. The person our boss (my boss' boss) wants to now support my stakeholders has no real experience in the area and is something of a favourite at the moment.

I'm aware I'm moaning but I really love what I've been doing and don't feel ready to move on from it yet. But what's really upset me is how it's been done, I haven't been consulted, no real reason has been given (it's not that I'm rubbish, I've always had really good feedback) and this is supposed to take effect asap so I might not even get the chance to tell my stakeholders myself, which I think is the courteous thing to do after working with them for a year.

My boss is lovely and I think she knows I'm not happy but I'm not sure what if anything I can do. I'm a victim of myself really as I'm known for being flexible but it would have been nice to be given a reason and not told almost as an aside that my job will change to something I've no real interest in (same field but project based). I don't know if IBU, I'm just upset and wanted to vent really sad

Sorry it's long!

Katy07 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:39:38

Maybe they're moving you because you'd be best at the different role but they made an excuse for your colleague so she wouldn't be offended?

But I'd not be pleased at the lack of communication etc. so you're not being unreasonable.

MinesaBottle Sun 15-Jan-17 18:43:10

When I was moved onto this role I was told it was because it fit my strengths, so who knows! I feel like there's a bit of favoritism going on - and there probably isn't, but the lack of communication hasn't helped with the way I feel.

MinesaBottle Sun 15-Jan-17 18:44:08

I mean when I was moved onto the role I've been doing for a year...oh for an edit button.

SparklyLeprechaun Sun 15-Jan-17 18:45:35

I wouldn't like it at all to be moved to another project without being asked. There's probably nothing behind it, just more people or a particular type of expertise needed on the other project but really, what does it cost to at least ask you? This is just poor management.

DavidPuddy Sun 15-Jan-17 18:57:52

From my experience I would say they've moved the strong person onto the project where their support is needed.

MinesaBottle Sun 15-Jan-17 19:17:19

It would've been nice to be given a reason though! Rather than 'ok, you've spent a year building strong relationships and you're doing a great job so we'll recognize that by moving you, at short notice and without consultation or information, onto something we know you're not that interested in' which is what it feels like.

StealthPolarBear Sun 15-Jan-17 19:19:42

Can't you ask your manager directly

MinesaBottle Sun 15-Jan-17 19:22:36

I will, I was told on Friday though and then she had to go to meetings. This sort of thing seems to happen quite a bit here, we've all had jokes/comments from stakeholders about it ('the revolving door' etc) which is how I know they won't be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now