Talk

Advanced search

To ask what classes as disabled when applying for a job?

(5 Posts)
JBJ Sun 15-Jan-17 15:36:22

You know that box that they always ask you to tick if you're disabled? I'm never sure whether I should or not.

I've recently lost my job (second one in a year that I've lost due to my health) - failed probation due to needing time off for appointments and physio - and I'm desperately trying to find something else but not sure how upfront I need to be, if that makes sense? If I tick the box saying I'm disabled, a lot of places guarantee an interview, but I'm not sure whether I would class as disabled or not? If I don't tell them though, I risk the same thing happening again where I start a job but can't bloody do it properly and keep needing time off. Not sure what to do for the best.

For full disclosure, I have degenerative disc disease which is currently being treated with physio and spinal injections, but will eventually need operating on, and means I can't lift, sit or stand in one position for too long, plus I have a traumatic brain injury which has left me permanently exhausted, unable to concentrate very well and aching from head to toe (consultant thinks it's triggered fibromyalgia). Obviously, all this severely restricts what kind of jobs I can actually do in the first place, and I'm resigned to doing part time for the foreseeable future as I've tried and failed to cope with full time hours, plus being a single mum.

I realise on paper I'm a rubbish prospect, but I've got to at least try!

LivingInMidnight Sun 15-Jan-17 15:38:42

www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

"You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."

Sounds like you'd meet it, but there's more details on that page.

LivingInMidnight Sun 15-Jan-17 15:39:38

I tick it btw.

JBJ Sun 15-Jan-17 15:45:08

Thank you, I'll have a look through that.

NotStoppedAllDay Sun 15-Jan-17 16:02:30

Tick it

I have someone who has fibro on my team

She can sit/stand as needed. Does what she can. I just leave her to it but she's only 15 hours

I've made adjustments so assume her to be able to have disability rights etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now