Talk

Advanced search

To not restrict tv/iPad/console time

(25 Posts)
Purplesky2 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:39:17

I don't restrict screen time for my kids - age 10,8 and 5. They flit between their toys, watching you tube, Netflix, playing games on tablet and minecraft on Xbox. In good weather they go on trampoline in garden or play cricket etc. They each do scouting of relevant age group, football, dance and swimming lessons. We have days out as a family, but on afternoons at home I leave them to it with no restriction and they potter My friend was talking about the 1hr limit of screen time for her dc and how you need to be strict. I am now contemplating a limit just because I'm now frightened I am doing it all wrong!!

SprogletsMum Sun 15-Jan-17 10:41:47

I don't impose limits on my dc either.
Their tablets die after not too long anyway and take ages to charge. Ds uses his screens more than dd but they both play with their other stuff and do beavers/rainbows and after school clubs.
Personally I think of their tablets as a toy, they play games and use their imagination on there as much as with their other toys.

Fruitellaz Sun 15-Jan-17 10:47:23

My son has 3 hours in the week and 5 at weekends I've put an app on it which automatically locks the tablet after that amount of time. Only because he would literally spend every minute of every day on it otherwise.

smilingsarahb Sun 15-Jan-17 10:47:54

I limit tablet time because of the position of their neck when they use it, I worry about long term damage.in fact when theirs broke I didn't replace it as I was that worried about the hunched position. For TV and games console, My eldest pretty much self regulates screen time anyway and I don't have a set time for my youngest but he would never do anything else, unless I moved him onto do lego or go out etc. I tend to let him play and then suggest other things after 40 mins or so. He can have several 40 min sessions a day though. They aren't allowed anything for a hour before bed either

whyohwhy000 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:58:56

I wouldn't worry as long as they're physically active.

LadyVampire Sun 15-Jan-17 11:09:12

I suggested this to DH with this son as DSS won't come for drinks, rushes homework and eating. I said at least set aside time for the other things eg 30 min toeach lunch tablet free or 30 min homework time tablet free. DSS can't manage himself but he will listen to us if we ask.

Fairylea Sun 15-Jan-17 11:11:42

I don't restrict either. My dc are 5 and 14 and I just let them amuse themselves how they choose. They go between TV, ipad, drawing and toys (well the 5 year old anyway)! I find that because they know they can play on the tablet etc anytime they like they're not so attached to it as some would think. For many children giving them strict times is a bit like making it the appeal of a forbidden fruit.

PurpleMinionMummy Sun 15-Jan-17 12:49:31

I think it depends on the child. I have to restrict my ds or he would spend all day on a screen. My other kids don't need this, but it's only fair we have the same rules for all of them.

myfavouritecolourispurple Sun 15-Jan-17 13:09:15

I don't restrict either, except saying that if I want to watch something on the TV (infrequent), that comes before xbox use.

As long as they get enough exercise, sleep well and homework is done on time to a decent standard, I don't see the need for limits.

That said, there was something in the Sunday Times today about more children suffering from myopia because of too much screen time, and not enough time spent in natural light. So watch the balance between screen time and outside time.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 13:10:46

We don't restrict either - and considering that 90% of DDs homework needs to be done on a screen now, it's a bloody good job too!

MatildaTheCat Sun 15-Jan-17 13:16:15

Agree not all DC are the same . My nephew would get up at 5am and stay on a screen all day long if he was allowed to. His sister doesn't bother at all. They are 7&9.

Interesting article in the paper today about children needing to play outside for 2 hours a day to protect them from myopia. This is an important finding because short sightedness has shot up and can lead to further eye problems such as glaucoma and cataracts later in life. (Sunday Times)

confusedandemployed Sun 15-Jan-17 13:19:12

I have no formal limits but I've noticed that after too long DD gets very stroppy. However she only really has it in the mornings before we get up so it's kind of self-limiting. She's not bothered the rest of the time.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 15-Jan-17 13:23:20

We don't restrict screen time either. Both dc get plenty of exercise and do a few extra curricular activities each. They're both achieving beyond the expected level in school.

I've found that the friends of theirs who do have their screen time restricted are completely obsessed with screens (i.e. They come over to "play" with my dc but spend the whole time asking repeatedly if they can go on the iPad/watch tv)

AmyInTheBoonies Sun 15-Jan-17 13:35:15

I massively restrict screen time as dd who is 4 would be glued to any screen she can get her hands on all day long if I didn't.

It depends on the child but I did experimentally not restrict at all for a while and she did just watch YouTube for hours so it doesn't always work out that a child will learn to self regulate.

We now don't even have a tv and she has 45 mins of kids programmes on the laptop per day. Everything else including looking at my phone, doing online educational stuff like reading eggs etc is not allowed. She is allowed to listen to cbeebies radio which she loves - though again would listen for hours so I have to say an hour is enough.

LouBlue1507 Sun 15-Jan-17 14:48:40

My DD is only 5 months but won't restrict screen time as she grows older. Tbh she watches some TV now, adult and children's 😂

I strongly believe (8 years childcare experience) that children who have screen time restricted are the ones who are obsessed with it. They haven't learnt to self regulate or ignore distractions. Those children who have regular screen time watch/play occasionally but move on pretty quickly or get on with whatever they're doing.

LiveLifeWithPassion Sun 15-Jan-17 14:58:05

I restrict screen time on weekdays (no games at all), and in the holidays but on a rainy day like today, I don't have many restrictions.
So far, that works for us.
If I had no restrictions at all, my dcs would be on them constantly.
They don't go mad for screens and happily get together with friends to have a game of monopoly or football.

tramstray Sun 15-Jan-17 15:00:33

Like many things, it depends on the child. Some children can regulate their own screen time, many (probably most) cannot or will not. It's the same with lots of things, some are mature enough to be responsible at a much younger age than others will be.

Badhairday1001 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:06:45

The only restrictions I have is that homework revision needs to be done first. My younger two don't bother and prefer to play out or draw etc. My eldest would be permanently glued to hers given a chance and never get anything done. She is 15 though so I think it's much more compelling at that age as she's scared of missing anything.

Suppermummy02 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:09:01

If they are well behaved, do other activities/clubs and doing well at school, homework etc them I dont see any need to restrict screen time.

I think a lot of parents say they restrict screen time just because its the fashionable thing to say, when boasting your children are better than the Jones children. Which for Mumsnetters, seems to be all they ever do.

corythatwas Sun 15-Jan-17 15:13:19

Agree with other posters that it totally depends on the child. Same with sweets: some children will self regulate, others most definitely won't.

I don't think regulating screen time is bound to make children obsessed either, any more than not having unlimited access to sweets is going to make every child addicted to them.

Mol1628 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:19:11

Depends on the child. You can't possibly say what you will do until your child is at the right age for this kind of thing.

We love tech in this house however my 4 year olds behaviour goes massively downhill when he goes on the iPad for a long time. It's like a drug. We prise him off it then he's constantly asking when he can go on again.

I let him on for an hour the other day and his behaviour is definitely adversely affected by it, he just goes crazy when it's turned off, really hyper.

So now he has an hour a week maximum, sometimes not at all.

TV doesn't affect him in the same way so he does watch that to chill out when he's tired.

Mol1628 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:20:14

Should have added ive just done a week cold turkey and his behaviour is much improved.

BrieAndChilli Sun 15-Jan-17 15:22:34

DS1 uses the computer/tablet to look at maps and Wikipedia, when we have restricted use of electronics his just reads encylopedias and map books so I didn't see the point in restricting his usage!
DD watches a lot of Netflix and you tube videos on hers but will be playing with her dolls/doing crafts etc at the same time so it's more background noise for her or she will watch a tutorial video etc
DS2 does like to play a lot of Xbox but when watching TV/tablet he again is also playing with Lego etc

They do spend a lot of time outside at school as the grounds are lovely and have a forest school area and we often stay and play after school.
They also do swimming a couple of times a week, beavers/cubs, riding, coding club, etc

Mrsglitterfairy Sun 15-Jan-17 15:25:58

I don't either. DS8 is on & off his laptop through the day at weekends, might have a potter on YouTube, play a bit of minecraft but then will do some sort of PowerPoint type thing so I really don't mind. And this morning he went to the park for a kick about with DH so just wants to chill. DS5 will be on and off his iPad most of today. Will go on that, then do some drawing, play a game with me, play with his toys etc. I've found with both of mine that if I leave them to it then they generally get bored after a while and move onto something else

EllaHen Sun 15-Jan-17 15:27:11

We restrict solo screen time. One hour. Ds changes personality if allowed longer.

The one hour rule has been long established so it is never challenged.

If dd has homework or we watch a family movie or dh plays a game with the dc, this is not counted in their one hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now