Talk

Advanced search

To think soup isn't difficult to eat!!

(15 Posts)
ChristmasCwtches Sun 15-Jan-17 10:34:30

I am amazed at all of the people on the wedding menu thread who are saying soup is to be avoided because it will end up spilt on clothing. I have attended very many functions over the years and regularly eat in restaurants, I didn't realise soup was such a hazard!!!

hefzi Sun 15-Jan-17 10:39:34

I find anything with a sauce hazardous tbh - and because I have a front like the Titanic, I always end up with a stain on my boobs. Strange, really, as I have excellent table manners apart from that. confused

TheProblemOfSusan Sun 15-Jan-17 10:44:16

Seconding hefzi - I too am "blessed" with a giant rack and avoid eating soup in public. I mean, I am capable of it but if it's a wedding, there will probably have been wine already and I'll be chatting and that means soup down tits.

And I do use the spoon the soup away from the body technique and everything. waves spoon expansively and covers everyone in soup.

MyOtherNameIsTaken Sun 15-Jan-17 10:46:54

I can spill anything down me given half a chance so the thought of soup at a wedding scares me! grin

ChristmasCwtches Sun 15-Jan-17 10:48:03

Really? I'm very well blessed of boobage but don't find it interferes with eating soup!!

IWantATardis Sun 15-Jan-17 10:49:15

I've been to plenty of formal dos over the years, and soup is a common first course.

The majority of people seem to manage without leaving the table decorated in soup.

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:50:05

I can get a dinner badge just looking through a cake shop window. It's a gift.

Never order soup, chilli or Bolognese while eating out anywhere.

MoonshineJungle Sun 15-Jan-17 10:51:43

If there is a risk it can happen it will happen with me 😂

user1483387154 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:53:21

Although I actually chose soup for our wedding (and as the option on the other thread) I didnt actually eat it on our wedding day incase I spilt it all down myself.

hefzi Sun 15-Jan-17 10:54:35

Do you not get anything on yours, OP? I also have to avoid cleaning my teeth in my work clothes, otherwise... (Also in Non-work clothes for that matter!)

Like Susan, I'm also a spoon-bowl awayer - perhaps it is the alcohol and chat with public sauce-eating <ponders>

NoelHeadbands Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:06

I don't think they mean folks are flinging it around like monkeys grin

Most people can manage to eat it perfectly well, but it can be trickier by way of balancing it on the spoon. Plus if something like a pea rolls off a fork you can style it out, the tiniest bit of soup can leave a right old mark.

It's just the Sods Law of it

GinIsIn Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:08

I think it also depends on your table manners - at a formal occasion particularly, it's bad manners to lean too far forward or hunch over the bowl in any way or to pick up or tilt the bowl, all of which increase the risk of spillage....

Katy07 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:12

I'm always self-conscious eating soup. And it seems to take me longer than anyone else to eat too. I'd rather go straight to the main course...

HardcoreLadyType Sun 15-Jan-17 11:02:36

Soup is a common first course at these events, because it's cheap to make.

On a restaurant menu, it will usually be the cheapest item, and even then the price will have been exaggerated, to stop it standing out too much from the price of the other starters.

It is often on a fixed price menu for the same reason.

Sickofthisnow Sun 15-Jan-17 11:22:01

I couldn't agree more OP! But then most of what people were saying on that thread made me a bit hmm as it seems no one likes smoked salmon or duck (or lamb...?) and those organising a wedding should serve a plain cracker to start (no spillage!) and dry chicken breast for main. As all wedding guests are seemingly six years old...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now