Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to say no?

(6 Posts)
user1480661321 Sun 15-Jan-17 07:36:58

We had to say goodbye to my furry friend yesterday. He was only 10. He had acute kidney disease and they couldn't do anything. I really miss my George! I keep thinking I can hear him!

My question is that already people including my dp are saying 'kitten season soon' and asking if we will get another. Now I love animals and George was brilliant with my son but I work four days and think that is too much to leave a kitten. Aibu to say no to a new kitten on those grounds?

OneMillionScovilles Sun 15-Jan-17 07:45:54

Hi OP - I'm so sorry for your loss. I know I'll be beyond devastated when my girl goes.

I think you're right that a kitten would take more time and attention than you have to give; however, have you considered a (housetrained!) rescue? If s/he is relatively independent it could be what your household needs...

That said, I don't believe pets are interchangeable and you shouldn't get a new one just to slap a bandaid over the loss. Wishing you the best.

HoorayForFishAndChips Sun 15-Jan-17 07:46:25

Just wanted to say flowers...we had to have a cat PTS last year with the very same issue, he was only 3 sad it was an awful time.

Later that year we wanted another cat and decided on a 3 year old rescue moggy from the Blue Cross, he is very independent and comes and goes as he likes but also loves laps and snuggling and playing, so I feel we have a good balance. I work 3 days a week. Would a slightly older cat be an option?

northernlights84 Sun 15-Jan-17 08:01:19

Thank you- I name changed (as I found out how to do it!) I was thinking an older cat- my only worry is that my son is two and quite hands on- this didn't bother my cat but would it bother another?

HoorayForFishAndChips Sun 15-Jan-17 08:26:06

We also have a 2 year old! grin (well he was almost 2 when we rescued the new cat, he's 2.5 now). The Blue Cross website allows you to filter down on your needs, and I selected cats that were used to children of all ages. I went to meet the cat first and spoke to the 'foster mum', who said the cat we were looking at was fab with children and he is - obviously we kept a close eye on them but there's been no major incidents, they're good friends now! smile

2ndSopranos Sun 15-Jan-17 09:45:47

I'm so sorry flowers

Our now 12 yo boy is a rescue cat and we got him when he was approximately 18 mo. Still very kitten-like but an adult nonetheless.

We were initially interested in a kitten but then this chap spotted us and started rolling over as if to say "please pick me!! I'm cute!".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now