Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a very weird reaction from

(35 Posts)
dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 01:22:20

My husband....
We usually book a cheap sun holiday at the end of term which happens to coincide with my birthday. I always book the weekend that is the last one of term as they miss only one day of school and the weather tends to be good. Last year the Friday was my birthday I went to afternoon tea with our daughter for an hour and a half.
When he asked when I'd booked it he replied 'selfish having to book it for your birthday' although it's purely because it's the last weekend of term. However it almost seemed like he was implying I'm indulgent for marking it at all???

NuffSaidSam Sun 15-Jan-17 02:02:32

Are you sure he wasn't joking?

Why didn't you just say 'what?' and clear up what he meant?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 15-Jan-17 02:28:00

Are you having a rough time at the moment?
And yes, why didn't you question him on the spot? I would have.

AnnieAnoniMouse Sun 15-Jan-17 02:36:04

Is he usually such a twat? Why is it selfish to book it on your birthday anyway? I presume he goes too?

What does going out for afternoon tea with you DD have to do with it? Are you saying that's the only thing you did for your birthday last year? He made no effort at all?

user1477282676 Sun 15-Jan-17 02:57:40

I'm confused about the afternoon tea aswell. What's that got to do with anything?

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 15-Jan-17 06:19:33

I read it as you are usually away for the birthday but because the birthday was the day before the trip you had the tea as well as the trip and he was being a twat implying she had 2 treats

Anniegetyourgun Sun 15-Jan-17 07:27:59

Given that the daughter shared the tea and the husband is sharing the trip, it seems quite unselfish as you're not doing anything for yourself alone. Everyone gets to have fun. Saying "sod you all, I'm off for a spa weekend, don't forget to do the shopping" would be selfish (but not unjustifiably so).

EmbarrassingBaddie Sun 15-Jan-17 07:38:04

Did you take her out of school for the day solely to have afternoon tea with you?

ferriswheel Sun 15-Jan-17 07:40:48

Regardless of the pp unanswered questions which I also want to know the answers to. It is a weird and unkind reaction.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 15-Jan-17 07:54:45

Did he mean you shouldn't have had to book it, that your daughter should've done that for you?

BalloonSlayer Sun 15-Jan-17 08:21:21

I read it as you usually go away for your birthday and leave the day before but this year the day before you are having the tea which means you can't go on holiday till a day later?

Or is he saying that it's your birthday so why are you doing something with just your DD instead of the whole family?

Context context context!!!

Scarydinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 09:02:48

Does he mean selfish to make your daughter miss a day of school?

Spring2016 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:10:59

Selfish of him, to not book it, and therefore causing you to do it? <grasping at straws>

dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 09:43:36

No no no.
The Friday was my birthday so on the Saturday we had the afternoon tea.
I did question him and he seemed stony faced.
He is an actual cunt is my conclusion

dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 09:45:28

And yes they have the last day off school which I have no problem with doing as their attendance all year is good

dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 09:46:31

And we don't go that weekend because it's my birthday but because it's when the kids break up

Katy07 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:58:42

So the Friday was your birthday, you had afternoon tea with your daughter Saturday, so were you away on holiday when you had the afternoon tea and he was pissed off because he wasn't invited to the tea despite being on holiday with you?
Confused I am confused

Scarydinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 10:44:40

What did he say when you asked "why am I Selfish?" I don't think anyone but him can provide an answer to that.

dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 10:45:06

He didn't want to go to afternoon tea as he doesn't like it and thinks it's a waste of money. Like everything I like

Scarydinosaurs Sun 15-Jan-17 10:45:22

I get YOU don't have a problem with missing a day- does HE have a problem with them missing a day?

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Sun 15-Jan-17 10:46:36

I don't really get it. Did you go on holiday?

dontbesillyhenry Sun 15-Jan-17 12:51:30

No he doesn't have a problem with them missing a day off school

YellowOfficeBlock Sun 15-Jan-17 12:58:09

I'm confused!
When did this happen?

MatildaTheCat Sun 15-Jan-17 13:02:10

Let's be honest this is a post about much more than your OP? You clearly are feeling the love very much right now. He does sound a misery and perhaps this has been the last straw.

Tell him in words of one syllable what is upsetting you and don't restrict it to a single comment about your holiday dates,met sounds way more than that.

MatildaTheCat Sun 15-Jan-17 13:03:32

You are clearly not feeling the love right now. blush

Somewhat silly typo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now