Talk

Advanced search

What have you done with the kids?

(8 Posts)
DaftJelly Sat 14-Jan-17 20:44:30

Went to a family thing this weekend. It was a few hours away so I travelodged it. I had three or four conversations today that went like this:

Well Meaning Relative: Hello! Blah blah blah chat and catch up. Traffic etc. What time did you get up here?

Me: I came up last night actually, it was easier.

WMR: Aw fab. What have you done with the kids then?

Me: (Um?) They're at home with DH.

WMR: How good of him! How's he coping? Did you leave them some freezer meals? What are his plans?

Me: (Eh?) I'm pretty sure they're fine...

Do I just have really old fashioned rellies or is this standard?

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sat 14-Jan-17 20:58:22

Yes! YANBU my own dad thinks the sun shines out of dh's arse because he's looked after OUR children (while I went to visit sick nan) and put a singular load of washing on. Don't get me wrong, it's great he did the washing but no one sings my praises for doing multiple loads a week and if he went away I wouldn't get 'oh, aren't you so GOOD?! Isn't he so LUCKY!' for just doing normal mum stuff!

MinnowAndTheBear Sat 14-Jan-17 21:11:17

I think if the situation was reversed, DH's family would certainly enquire after the DC and me, what our plans were etc. But they would never ask how I was coping or assume DH had helped me in any way in order to ease things while he was away. YANBU.

hoopdeloop Sat 14-Jan-17 22:08:51

YANBU, I hate when people ask if DH is babysitting! Erm no, he is raising his son! Constantly praised for being fairly domesticated but it's just expected of me. I never get a well done for staying at home so DH can go out

IncidentalAnarchist Sat 14-Jan-17 22:10:13

YANBU
As the 'breadwinner' I travel a lot with work
The amount of times I get asked who's looking after our kid whilst I'm away ffs usually women

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sat 14-Jan-17 22:13:09

I'm planning to be away with work during the week for three months (compulsory if I want to progress). It's ok, DH will do everything he normally does along with my share cope with babysitting.

CanaryFish Sat 14-Jan-17 22:14:09

I'm a sahm , If I go out with DH I get people asking "where's the little one tonight?" Coz it's apparently so surprising I left the "little one" who's nearly 5 btw - and these comments have happened since she was a baby.
I feel like saying ah she's at home playing with matches

Babyhiccups Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:40

DH is taking shared parental leave and his Mum expressed her surprise as "he's not going to know what to do with a baby"

Funnily enough, neither am I but they're still letting me have one!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now