Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want this!!!!

(30 Posts)
Angela0413 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:45:08

Bloody hairdresser and bloody obsession with "layers". Said I wanted a blunt long bob - and came out looking like I'd just got out of time machine from the 90s! Arghhh apparently I absolutely needed the dreaded layers - looks awful. Gutted

AtSea1979 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:46:24

YANBU!

TheFutureMrsB Sat 14-Jan-17 14:48:22

This is the exact reason I found a different hairdresser. Bloody layer obsessed the old one was!

AVY1 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:51:48

YANBU. My hair is very thick but layers make it totally unmanageable yet hairdressers constantly try to convince me that I need them.

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Jan-17 14:55:52

So you asked for one style and they deliberately gave you another?

I hope you didn't pay them.

Moominsdottir Sat 14-Jan-17 14:56:35

We should swap hairdressers. I want layers, show them a picture which clearly has layers and end up with a blunt bob that whatever i do ends up in that horrid mushroom shape! I hate it!

Angela0413 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:23:08

My normal hairdresser is on mat leave and hair was a mess and I had a bonus hour away from the kids so just booked in with whoever was free. So bizarre she was very "hip" so utterly baffled as to why I've ended up with this layered monstrosity. When I said I wanted a blunt long bob she said -"oh that won't look good - you need some layers to 'break it up'". I don't want it broken thank you!!! Lots of whispy crappy layers which will no doubt be nightmare for me to style... Had it done couple of hours ago and it's already up in a top knot. sad

FondantNancy Sat 14-Jan-17 15:35:52

I hope you didn't pay. You asked for a blunt bob and got layers - that's a different haircut!

RaspberryOverloadTheFirst Sat 14-Jan-17 15:49:20

Like Moominsdottir I'd happily swap hairdressers with you. I want layers, yet get more of a blunt bob. I ask for volume and she straightens my hair to death so it's flat.

Recently went to a different hairdresser, and the cut was far better. Problem I have is that the first hairdresser is a mobile one, so has my number.

But I think I'll carry on at the new place.

Angela0413 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:20:43

I'm so rubbish in those circumstances and just paid and left

CwtchMawr Sat 14-Jan-17 16:21:59

I hate hairdressers who think they know better! They always say to me that your hairs so thick you need layers when in fact layers give me a weird triangular shaped hairstyle no matter what I do to it!

HoorayForFishAndChips Sat 14-Jan-17 17:32:17

Feel you op. I reached the age of 30 before I realised my fine hair did not need the masses of layers and feathering round the front that ALL hairdressers had insisted on..my hair needs the weight of a blunt cut or my hair goes ratty and thin and a ponytail looks frankly ridiculous. I have finally found a lovely hairdresser who does it how I like it, and I now have longish hair with no layers and it looks much thicker and fuller - but even now when I go to her I have to repeat a billion times that I DON'T WANT LAYERS. I just wish I'd realised previously that what they were doing was making it so thin so I could have told them not to!

formerbabe Sat 14-Jan-17 17:34:54

My hair is very thick but layers make it totally unmanageable yet hairdressers constantly try to convince me that I need them

Oh god..Me too! I cut my own hair now..It looks much better IMO!

RentANDBills Sat 14-Jan-17 17:40:37

I dread having my hair cut for this reason. I can never find a fecking hairdresser that actually listens to me and I'm a complete pushover so nod and smile when they've finished ruining it.
I like my hair thick and big, yet the damn razor comes out every time and thin wispy shitty layers are always the end result.

RentANDBills Sat 14-Jan-17 17:42:26

Though if no one else wants Jennifer Anniston I'll have her, I reckon she'd make a fab personal trainer and she could do my make up and tell me all the sleb gossip.

diddl Sat 14-Jan-17 17:57:30

When she said that you needed layers did you tell her no?

InvisibleKittenAttack Sat 14-Jan-17 18:09:31

I feel your pain, my last haircut has left me looking far too much like a mid-90s Monica Lewinsky.

I'm just leaving it until the spring when hopefully it'll have grown enough to do something else with it.

(I know 90s clothes are back in fashion for young types, could it be that mid-90s hairdos are back in too?)

LapsedPacifist Sat 14-Jan-17 18:13:42

OP I feel your pain! My hairdresser did this to me last July and the ghastly layers STILL haven't grown out! To make things worse, she completely cocked up the cut as well - the layers were far shorter on one side than the other. My colleagues actually laughed when they saw me. I had such an easy-to-manage style which always looked polished and now I can't style my hair properly at all - I use velcro rollers after blow-drying to curl the ends under (1920s-style long bob) and the curlers just fall out and the hair twists the wrong way. I look like a dog's breakfast and I have a public-facing job.

My NEW hairdresser says it'll take another 4-6 months to sort out. Arse.

PurpleMinionMummy Sat 14-Jan-17 18:26:55

I get this too! I'm very clear NOT to put loads of layers in my hair, I have a couple of very long ones and that's it. The last girl who cut my hair said layers don't always suit hair like mine. She's the first to not try and talk me into them.

MusterTheRohirim Sat 14-Jan-17 18:37:44

Bizarre, I have been having a huge problem trying to get someone to cut my hair short with choppy layers - they all seem to want to do a bluntish bob which makes me look like MIL or a Wallace and Grommit character. Think we're about there now but it has been a real struggle grin

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 14-Jan-17 18:40:22

Post a pic. I can guarantee you that it won't be that bad

Summerwood1 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:52:31

Yes,photo please

Lireal Sat 14-Jan-17 19:45:26

This has happened to me with many different hairdressers.
Had lovely long hair. Asked for a few inches off the bottom. End up with shoulder length hair with massive layers.
Another time, asked for a short choppy bob and got shoulder length hair with layers. I even take pictures along.
Always bloody straighten it too.
Only once has a hairdresser done a good job with my hair and ended up paying £75 for a cut and blow dry. They called it a blow out though. I was told cut and blow dry were £35 from this place but ended up just paying the £75?!? confusedblush.

alfagirl73 Sat 14-Jan-17 19:52:45

I'm afraid I have a 1 strike and you're out policy with hairdressers! I don't mind suggestions... and an experienced hairdresser pointing out if/when a particular style won't work well with my hair type and backing it up with proper facts and explanation... but ultimately the final decision is mine and if they go off doing their own thing when I've specifically said what I want, and there is no good reason not to do what I asked for, then they don't get paid and they don't get my repeat custom. I've had too many hairdressing nightmares in the past; I have zero tolerance for hairdressers who don't listen and who try to bully you into the hairstyle they want to give you rather than what you actually want. I'd rather a hairdresser declined to do the cut than just do what they want and ignore what I've asked for.

goldopals Sat 14-Jan-17 23:23:37

I've been lucky to have never had a hair dresser do that, but am so paranoid! I actually cut my own hair now to avoid issues with my extra long hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now