Talk

Advanced search

To think Kidzania is a bit of a rip off?

(27 Posts)
itsallbollocks Sat 14-Jan-17 14:43:58

I was going to take ds to kidzania for his birthday, but tickets are costing us almost £120 for a family, and that's not for the day, that's for 4 hours!!! I don't think that we'll be going now. It wouldn't be so bad, if it was for the whole day.

wizzywig Sat 14-Jan-17 14:44:45

I think they have discount vouchers on groupon?

Cindbelly Sat 14-Jan-17 14:47:46

Did you check the times? I think When we went it was cheaper the later in the day you went.

I won't lie it was amazing the DCs loved it

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 14-Jan-17 14:50:13

It is very expensive but there are offers around. The kids love it. Tbh I think 4 hours is quite enough.

itsallbollocks Sat 14-Jan-17 14:50:45

Thanks, I'll check.

SnowBallsAreHere Sat 14-Jan-17 14:51:22

It's 241 with a train ticket.
www.daysoutguide.co.uk/kidzania-london

SerialReJoiner Sat 14-Jan-17 14:54:05

It is very pricey, agreed. We've only gone with groups, getting a cheaper rate. Is that an option? Something you could organise maybe?

AmberNectarine Sat 14-Jan-17 14:55:09

I thought it was pretty good value, actually - there's so much to do!

sqidsin Sat 14-Jan-17 14:56:16

I'm not sure you can say it is a rip off if you haven't actually been. It is expensive but no more so than a lot of London "attractions" where you might spend 4hrs (zoo, aquarium, etc). Even cinema costs us £30-40 for 2 hours so actually It's not even that bad compared to that! Kidzania was £90 for family of 4 last time we went. The kids absolutely love it so in my view, it's worth the money. Although we have to save up so it's a special treat!

PippaFawcett Sat 14-Jan-17 14:59:03

What is it?

hungryhippo90 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:20:01

Can I just say, whilst it may seem a rip off, I've honestly never seen anything like it.
Kidzania was one of the best days out we've had. It is worth the money.

I do think it's sad that some people are priced out though.

AcademicNerd Sat 14-Jan-17 15:29:09

Pippa It's a kid-sized environment where they can role-play different activities and jobs. Chocolatier, engineer, firefighter, all sorts. You get their own little currency to spend inside, and I think maybe a passport too. It's a heavily branded environment: you're a Cadbury's chocolatier, or a Renault engineer.

They are very popular in the Middle East, and seem to be picking up pace in the UK.

If I had more time on my hands (which being pregnant and doing a PhD, I do not!), I would LOVE to study KidZania.

itsallbollocks Sat 14-Jan-17 15:47:43

Thanks everyone. I changed the time, and the price dropped to £87 for all of us. smile That's much more like I was expecting to pay. Looking forward to going now.

Trills Sat 14-Jan-17 15:50:11

Glad you're looking forward to it.

There's a big difference between "expensive" and "rip off" though.

itsallbollocks Sat 14-Jan-17 15:53:31

I guess that I was being unfair. Most days out and attractions feel like rip offs these days, (we've been to Legoland) and I thought that I was just getting suckered in again. I didn't realise that it would have such positive feedback.

MrsJamin Sat 14-Jan-17 15:57:33

Ds1 went on a school trip (when he was 8) and loved it. If you're you can get in on 2 for 1 by the train it'd be worth buying the cheapest train ticket for that day as you'd still save money.

AmberNectarine Sat 14-Jan-17 16:10:30

Try a west end musical for a family of 4 - I think Kidzania represents MUCH better value!

beanfilledfish Sat 14-Jan-17 16:17:49

ew it sounds awful 'meet our zupervisors' and do fun and educational activities - sounds like a weird concept that sucks the imagination out of children but then again i could be wrong

NE14T Sat 14-Jan-17 16:21:46

Sounds like Eureka in Halifax!

SerialReJoiner Sat 14-Jan-17 16:58:41

bean it can be a bit heavy-handed in the educational aspect, but only if you want it to be. The idea is to let the kids loose to make their own choices for the four hours, but I've seen school trips and families hover over the children and enforce which activity is "next". Which, imo, defeats the entire purpose of the experience - deeply immersive imaginative play.

PippaFawcett Sat 14-Jan-17 22:20:56

What is the target age range?

Madeyemoodysmum Sat 14-Jan-17 22:50:26

My son went on a trip but imo there is nothing for adults. May as well ship them in and go shopping Adults can't even go in the activity rooms. Kids loved it but I wouldn't pay for myself again.

Scotinoz Sat 14-Jan-17 23:21:40

NE14T Is Eureka good? I read a couple of articles mentioning it. We're new to the area, and can't decide if it's worth the drive with two preschoolers

PoptartPoptart Sat 14-Jan-17 23:43:48

My DC love Kidzania. I love Kidzania because it means they are happy and entertained and safe for four hours, while I go shopping in Westfield wink

NE14T Sat 14-Jan-17 23:45:39

Oooh Eureka is wonderful! I think you still get a years pass once you've paid for the ticket too... we rarely go, only once a year as it's near relatives but wish wish wish there was something similar nearby. I much prefer it to science museum/ think tank for littlies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now