Talk

Advanced search

MASH Social service

(12 Posts)
user1484391693 Sat 14-Jan-17 11:18:38

Long Story short i look after my little sister 7 after our mum died of cancer mid last year, i am her older brother and i recently went to family court to apply for Child arrangements order to legally live with me and a guardianship they gave me the Child Arrangements order and i have a appointment for guardianship.

Anyway i was told in the interview at court that cafcas said i wouldnt need any safe guarding checks as the child has lived with me her whole life and my own background is clean, and that any contact from social workers would be optional, But i just received a letter saying i will be called by MASH for an assessment to be carried out by a social worker.

I have never been through any of this and we have had the most difficult time of our lives i dont want things to get complicated or harder, i suppose its natural to be paranoid these days but i wondered if anyone could elaborate on what will happen? any advice or tips on dealing with them?

DoItTooJulia Sat 14-Jan-17 11:20:46

I'm sorry things have been so hard.

I'm sure they want to support you, so to that end I'd be honest and normal with them-answering any questions and providing any information they ask for, on time.

Good luck OP. And flowers

Venusflytwat Sat 14-Jan-17 12:13:16

If you as a close family member have put yourself forward as a carer then they have to approve you unless there are strong reasons why not. But they do need to assess the situation first. You sound lovely but another person might not be and your little sister is owed someone checking she's going to have a good home.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wish you all the best.

Bettyspants Sat 14-Jan-17 12:17:48

Op this is really nothing to worry about and more of a tick box exercise , just go along with it and try to not let it add to the stress of what you've already been through.

peaCOCKness Sat 14-Jan-17 12:30:34

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you see taking on the care of your little sister as something which you would obviously do but it is a very kind and brace thing to do to take that on, you are a lovely person and your mum would be proud. I know it must seem like yet another obstacle and stress with this assessment but maybe try to look on it as an opportunity to find out what help and support may be available to you both. They will just want to check that you both have support that you need, especially in such difficult circumstances.

peaCOCKness Sat 14-Jan-17 12:31:18

Brace? brave

WellieWanger Sat 14-Jan-17 12:40:55

Sorry about your loss. Well done for taking care of your sister. This is just procedure, that's all. Nothing to worry about. And if there's any support they think they could offer you, they can identify it then. Really, as difficult as it is when you are entering the unknown, don't panic and be transparent.x

Thingsthatmakeugoummmm Sat 14-Jan-17 13:03:31

I am a social worker, just wanted to ask. Have you been awarded the child arrangement order? If so when was this? Did the letter say why an assessment would be taking place i.e. Did they say it was connected to Child arrangement order (CAO).

user1484391693 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:06:20

Hi first of all thank you so much all of you for the kind words and it really does help me reading these replies i did not think anyone would reply i am pretty alone in all of this.
To answer ThingsThatmakeugoummmm, i have been awarded by the family court (signed papers in hand) of the child arrangement order last week, i got a letter today saying i will receive a phone call from a social worker to arrange an assessment no date given.

Just to elaborate i am the Sole carer for my little sister the father hasn't been involved from the start and his whereabouts are unknown. The Family court accepted this before making the child arrangement order.

I would do anything for my little sister shes my world and i am confident that nothing will go wrong but its still a worry to me.

peaCOCKness Sat 14-Jan-17 17:12:13

I'm sorry that you feel alone, do you have any other family close by to help?

user1484391693 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:30:49

Ive uploaded the letter i received if i dont hear from them on monday i am thinking about calling them and asking what these concerns are as there was nothing stated in the family court or cafcass report, i am probably over thinking this but i want to be prepared.

And to answer peacockness i mean more alone as in taking care of this particular case with this "Assessment" i have a big family they have been a big help but theres things like this i have to take care of.

katieferg81 Sun 15-Jan-17 16:25:01

Sorry for your loss (I lost my dad suddenly in Nov and the grief has been like physical pain at times). I've very little social services experience but I'm sure MASH is a multi agency approach to helping and supporting you and your sister as best they can in order to safeguard you both, I'm sure it'll be nothing to worry about and likely a formality given your circs. Best of luck and I'm sure your mum would be very proud flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now