Talk

Advanced search

To think this is fairly normal?

(104 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

hurrysummerhurry Fri 13-Jan-17 21:17:20

My DD aged 6 plays with dolls a lot. She also watches you tube videos of other kids playing with dolls. Not excessively.. maybe 2 hours in a week.
Anyway some of these videos are stories of how the dolls are kidnapped by a baddie then rescued. Usually by a prince.

My DD has become obsessed with kidnapping, capturing, tying up dolls etc. It features in most of her play.

Others have commented that it is strange, and it makes them feel uncomfortable. I think it's fairly normal. What are your thoughts?

Reality16 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:19:54

Not really normal to allow a 6yo to watch that kind of video really is it? It is however normal for kids to act out things they watch.

Sirzy Fri 13-Jan-17 21:21:35

Very strange. I agree with reality - why do you let her watch them?

ollieplimsoles Fri 13-Jan-17 21:21:58

Hmmm.. I think I can remember tying up my sindy dolls and hanging them over the mantelpiece so they could be rescued.

Me and my sister also pretended that our barbies drove over a raveen and all died so can't really comment.

Just seems like playing a storyline to me

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 13-Jan-17 21:22:28

It's not something that I'm aware of anyone I know doing. I think it's pretty unusual tbh.

ollieplimsoles Fri 13-Jan-17 21:22:50

Video is a bit much though, she's only six. We were older when we played stuff like that.

MollyCule Fri 13-Jan-17 21:22:54

Sorry I think it's creepy too, wouldn't want my child watching that video.

Patriciathestripper1 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:25:57

Wtf? why are you letting her watch that type of video?
Children are very impressionable and you shouldn't be allowing that crap into your 6 year olds head.

hurrysummerhurry Fri 13-Jan-17 21:26:22

Ollie I remember playing similar games which is probably why I haven't been that concerned... I'm starting to wonder whether I should put an end to this. Not sure how tho!

Pestilence13610 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:27:11

That is not a video of other 6yos playing with their toys.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Fri 13-Jan-17 21:29:19

Mumsnet does make me laugh..this is so wrong yet a couple of weeks ago a dad playing rob the shop with their kid was perfectly normal 🤔

Notnownornever Fri 13-Jan-17 21:29:57

That is most definitely strange and inappropriate watching for a six year old IMVHO.
I'd be concerned if my six year old did that to her dolls.

Skang Fri 13-Jan-17 21:31:34

I'd definitely stop her watching those videos. As pestilence says, that's not a video of a six year old playing with dolls - it's an adult. It's putting weird ideas in her head of what is 'normal' play. She just sees toys and thinks it's normal, but in reality it's some weird adult fetish video.

hurrysummerhurry Fri 13-Jan-17 21:32:03

She doesn't watch the videos that much, that's just an example.
Most of the play centres around princesses being captured and taken away.. very much like Anna was in frozen, or rapunzel in the tower... things like this feature in most fairy tales..

lionsleepstonight Fri 13-Jan-17 21:32:20

No, I wouldn't be happy with that. Would Be interested to see what else YouTube throws up down the right hand side panel. Have you any age restrictions on your WiFi?

hurrysummerhurry Fri 13-Jan-17 21:33:55

Skang I think fetish is the fear to be honest... that's what is is making others uncomfortable. I see why. I can easily stop the videos... not sure about the play tho

lionsleepstonight Fri 13-Jan-17 21:34:03

Duct tape over their mouths? Never seen a Disney film with that in.

user1484226561 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:36:45

weird, and not for 6 year olds

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 13-Jan-17 21:39:32

Errrr no that is most definitely not normal, I have a 7 year old & I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know what kidnap is hmm

Pestilence13610 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:39:48

When DD was about 14 she threw barbie in the pond. Barbie floated so was declared a witch and screwed to a stake (nails didn't grip enough). Barbie was then burnt on a bonfire.
Part of a bizaare rite of passage for a tennager who is growing out of their childhood toys.
Had she done the same at 6, I would have worried.
Please choose your videos carefully.

bumsexatthebingo Fri 13-Jan-17 21:40:38

The videos you describe are unsuitable for 6 yos. You need to stop her accessing them. When she is exposed to more child appropriate themes you will start to see them coming through in her play.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 13-Jan-17 21:41:00

& rob the shop isn't ok either-didn't see that one but would still have gone wtf? confused

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 13-Jan-17 21:42:17

& I come from a sort of background where in my childhood dads regularly robbed the shop...

Amandahugandkisses Fri 13-Jan-17 21:42:39

Too young to be doing that. The idea has been put in her mind by the awful videos.

Chanadhal Fri 13-Jan-17 21:45:16

Why is a 6 year old watching videos on the internet? Surely they have more productive things they could be doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now