Talk

Advanced search

Homeless people with dogs

(42 Posts)
Vulty Fri 13-Jan-17 20:03:24

This has been bothering me for a while because I don't know how I feel about it. If I was homeless and all I had was my dog it would kill me to give it up. But on the other hand if getting it rehomed guaranteed a better life you would do the obvious.

Whats your opinions?

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Fri 13-Jan-17 20:06:47

I agree, but I hope your hungry cause your about to receive lots of biscuits!

MoonShapedPool Fri 13-Jan-17 20:07:16

For a dog, living on the street and being with your person 24/7 is a lot more natural than being shut up alone in a house all day.

NuffSaidSam Fri 13-Jan-17 20:09:11

I don't know that the dogs have that bad a life tbh. They always look reasonably well fed and I think people would intervene if they didn't. They get to spend all day with their owner instead of being left at home for hours on end. They're loved. There might be a problem if they need medical treatmentt, but again people are such softies for animals (more than for humans in many cases) that someone (either a charity or a passer-by) would intervene and get the animal to a vet.

NuffSaidSam Fri 13-Jan-17 20:10:37

Also, there are so many dogs needing rehoming, I don't think you could guarantee they would have a better life. Could well, rot in a rehoming centre and then be put down.

MuteButtonisOn Fri 13-Jan-17 20:11:25

Your remarks could be applied to plenty of dogs, not just those who give companionship and love to homeless people.

OneWithTheForce Fri 13-Jan-17 20:11:42

But on the other hand if getting it rehomed guaranteed a better life you would do the obvious.

It doesn't guarantee it though does it? Who is to say the new owners wouldn't rehome it again or neglect or abuse it? Fuck that, my dog is my baby, by my side is where he belongs and the only place he ever wants to be. I couldn't live with myself if I handed him over to someone else and couldn't make sure he was being looked after.

icelollycraving Fri 13-Jan-17 20:14:01

If I was homeless,I would want something to protect & love me. Sounds s better idea than a man tbh. I see plenty of homeless people in Brighton, more than I ever saw in London. The dogs of homeless people all look well fed & well loved.

PickAChew Fri 13-Jan-17 20:14:43

As well as the above, I think that for some people, a dog is the most trustworthy and reasonable companion they have and would help them to feel less lonely, maintain some sense of purpose and possibly feel a little safer.

hefzi Fri 13-Jan-17 20:14:46

I read the OP as the homeless person rehoming the dog, so that they could have a "better" life, not so that the dog was having more chances - presumably as most hostels won't accept dogs, nor LL.

Which did you mean, OP?!

TrustySnail Fri 13-Jan-17 20:18:45

If the dog is well-fed and taken care of, I don't think it would be any less happy in these circumstances - probably happier than a dog that was, say, shut indoors alone for hours while its owners were working. Being with its owner 24/7 would be most dogs' idea of heaven.

I understand some homeless people feel more secure if they have a dog - sleeping outside makes them vulnerable, a dog is likely to deter thieves and to wake up if someone approaches - anything that helps a vulnerable person feel safer has to be a good thing.

MoonShapedPool Fri 13-Jan-17 20:21:30

Surely this was how the whole human/dog thing started in the first place? The early dogs stayed close to human camps, they got fed in return for their usefulness at guarding. My dog would probably love to be with me all the time

Eevee77 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:25:56

There's a homeless man in my town centre with the most friendly staffie I have ever met. It's gorgeous and is very well fed! He has a coat so he doesn't get too cold and he looks healthy and very happy and is very loyal to his owner. I have no issue with this. It definitely draws in more donations for the man too...

fakenamefornow Fri 13-Jan-17 20:26:24

I knew a homeless person who had a very well loved dog. The man needed and operation and so was admitted to hospital for a while, a charity arranged to look after his dog for him while he was in treatment. After the operation he was sent to some sort of halfway house for recovery. This placement very quickly broke down and he was back on the streets. The charity looking after his dog refused to give the dog back! They said they didn't want the dog homeless on the streets in winter.

I felt really sad and angry for the dog and owner, they just wanted to be together. Well, making an assumption about the dog's feelings but it was a very well loved dog who got to hang out with it's owner all day and sleep cuddled together at night and was now stuck in kennels.

He did get his dog back after a big fuss and lots for people getting involved, so, a happier ending.

Also what does this say about our society? It was fine for a human being to be sleeping on the streets in winter but not for a dog!

GreatFuckability Fri 13-Jan-17 20:29:32

the dogs are fine as long as they are fed. they are dogs. they are meant to live outside. they are meant to walk a lot. they help keep you safe when you are scared and alone. My dog was the only friend i had when I had no home, when i was a 17 year old girl, alone on the streets. that dog lived to be 23 years old, which is way beyond the age some do. don't be so quick to judge.

and before anyone says it, no, you don't get 'extra' money for having a dog.

roseteapot101 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:30:28

to many dogs are being put down by the rspca because they cant find them homes,its not ideal but being fed and looked after better than dead

NotMeNoNo Fri 13-Jan-17 20:31:23

I suspect dogs do a lot for the mental health of homeless people, they are very devoted companions. Our dog would sleep under a railway bridge rather than be away from DH, and vice versa!

MoonShapedPool Fri 13-Jan-17 20:31:48

GF that is heartbreaking and really beautiful

BantyCustards Fri 13-Jan-17 20:33:21

Go on then...

biscuit

BantyCustards Fri 13-Jan-17 20:34:20

GF - thank you for keeping him with you and making sure he was ok.

OneWithTheForce Fri 13-Jan-17 20:35:31

its not ideal but being fed and looked after better than dead

Well better than rotting in a shelter going insane. Death (IMO) is kinder than that.

Littledrummergirl Fri 13-Jan-17 20:35:38

www.moretodogstrust.org.uk/hope-project/hope-project

Have a look at this site if you want to help.

Ditsyprint40 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:36:51

Must be so long on the streets - I think it's heartwarming to see a homeless person with a dog to love.

CactusFred Fri 13-Jan-17 20:37:23

People are more likely to feed the dog than the human! And the poor homeless soul has a friend. I think it's lovely.

Feckitall Fri 13-Jan-17 20:40:31

I'm just waiting for the urban myth that I had arguments with acquaintances over...'they get more dole if the have a dog' <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now