Talk

Advanced search

To think Daddy Dates aren't so terrible??

(89 Posts)
MommaGee Fri 13-Jan-17 19:55:29

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/12/daddy-daughter-dates-are-everything-that-is-wrong-with-the-world-6376907/?ito=social-mail

So there was a viral Fb Post about a Dad taking his daughter out for cake once a month as a "date" and then this article that claims is sexualizing the relationship and doing men and women down and is basically a system of our terrible society.

Aibu to think the author is being overly dramatic and it's just cute?

BillSykesDog Fri 13-Jan-17 19:57:36

It's not cute it's weird. It already has a perfectly good name which 'spending time with your father' making it a 'date' is bleeuurgh.

shivermytimbers Fri 13-Jan-17 19:57:48

Weird and creepy if you ask me

VikingVolva Fri 13-Jan-17 19:58:27

It's not remotely cute. It's a slightly creepy and unnecessary term.

The author's POV is totally understandable

SheNumpty Fri 13-Jan-17 19:59:30

I think it's just a cute way of saying that a Dad's putting aside some time to spend with his daughter. It's a bit sad to think that they have to do that though. How little time do these Dads spend with their kids one on one for this to become a thing?

SunshineOutdoors Fri 13-Jan-17 19:59:49

But lots of people use the term 'play date' and don't think anything of it.

Bloopbleep Fri 13-Jan-17 19:59:57

It's the phrase daddy date that has me cringing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a father spending time with his daughter but why does it have to be labelled a special ocassionally like a date? Its what fathers should be doing with their children.

EmzDisco Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:22

Very strange use of the word date.

It's just having some cake/lunch/watching a film with your dad/mum/auntie etc

Bloopbleep Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:30

And I cringe at play date too

Ilovecaindingle Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:48

Yuck.
Simply yuck.

derektheladyhamster Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:54

So when I take my boys out is it a 'mummy date'? What if dh takes the boys out? Or does it only count for daughters?

beargrass Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:56

Weird and creepy. Next stop = pledging virginity to your dad parties like in the US. Eugh

ALemonyPea Fri 13-Jan-17 20:01:33

Nope, it's creepy and weird.

Do mums have mum and son dates? I have three sons and never done it.

MrsJayy Fri 13-Jan-17 20:01:42

There was a mum who did this first she took her son out so she could show him how to treat a lady that was weird and so is this why does going out to spend time with your child have to have this ridiculous "label"

MommaGee Fri 13-Jan-17 20:01:47

If it stated this was the only time he cared for her, if it stated that he was "babysitting" her, if it stated she was at home scrubbing the floors I could see the overreaction to the principal.
Would it still be so terrible if he called of a "treat" or "trip" rather than a date? Author seems to think it still would be. That part of the issue is celebrating their monthly trips for cake when we as poor mother's just mop up sick and never have any fun!!
So is it just the term "date" that is terrible or the whole concept?

HecateAntaia Fri 13-Jan-17 20:01:55

I dont think it's cute.

You dont date your child. It is weird to frame it that way. It just feels odd.like the whole 'pledge' your virginity to your dad thing in america.(Pledge being their term. Google purity balls)

It's the wrong sort of relationship to have with your child.

What's wrong with just spending time with your child? Why does everything have to be so- contrived? So twee?

AnyFucker Fri 13-Jan-17 20:02:37

Creepy

PrettyBotanicals Fri 13-Jan-17 20:03:08

Would a son have a daddy date?

No?

Then it's a patronising verging on unhealthy romanticising of the relationship between a father and daughter.

Surely a nice decent dad would be thrilled to eat cake or whatever with any of his children.

Without the need to label or publicise the event.

Ffs.

Boobiebalfie Fri 13-Jan-17 20:03:34

The idea is fine.
The name is weird!!

OhSuckItUpDucky Fri 13-Jan-17 20:03:54

For me it's the word date , it just sounds wrong

MommaGee Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:08

I guess its labelled cos its a special thing they do each month. So in addition to all the standard nappy change commit wiping playing dolls on the floor time they spend together, this is time away from mum so she can have an hour to herself and they get to have a treat

Weird and creepy. Next stop = pledging virginity to your dad parties like in the US. Eugh seem a bit of a leap

HecateAntaia Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:13

Actually i think they have a point.

Mum does all the day in day out shit and dad chomps on cake once a month and he's a fucking hero.
Sod that.

Leave him doing the ironing and piss off out with your kid for the cake!

justdontevenfuckingstart Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:24

It's awful, no need to make something that should happen into something special. Why make girls dress up and be pretty so they can be treated. Quite a horrible message to be teaching young people.

MrsJayy Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:43

Its date that is weird imo i cant stand play date either in my dcs day friends just came round to play.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 13-Jan-17 20:04:47

My DCs have "mummy days" and "daddy days" - basically one on one time with a parent where the DC gets to call some of the shots. Often coinciding with an INSET day or something.

But we wouldn't call it a date, even though it is marked in the calendar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now