Advanced search

To ask for jobs ideas for DH?

(15 Posts)
ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Fri 13-Jan-17 19:45:20

DH was made reduntant 18months ago just as I become pregnant with dc2. So now i've returned from maternity leave early to work fulltime and am pretty unhappy about it. He really needs a job. DH is a good man; hard working and honest. He has been applying for jobs in his field for 18months, and got nowhere - out of dozens of applications he has got 2 interviews and no offers.
He is an academic - uni lecturer in History. He has also applied for some civil service post, got interviews but no further.
What other fields are there for men in mid forties with phds and research experience? Know it sounds silly but if I can google stuff and present him with vacancies to apply for I'll feel like I'm helping!

ImperialBlether Fri 13-Jan-17 19:47:51

Can he ask the Careers Service at his last university to help him? They were really good when my daughter finished her MA.

NuffSaidSam Fri 13-Jan-17 19:50:08

Childminder? Is he enjoying being a SAHD?

Tutor? Flexible hours, could work around the DC.

Driving instructor? If he's good at driving.

English as a foreign language teacher?

Teacher? There is a massive shortage so should be able to get work.

Maybe he also needs to look at his CV/interview skills/applications?

rollonthesummer Fri 13-Jan-17 19:50:59

Are there any museums/libraries nearby? Local government/council jobs?

ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Fri 13-Jan-17 19:55:17

I don't think childminder would work - he is good with the kids but not looking to do it as a job.
The teacher thing is possible...

hefzi Fri 13-Jan-17 20:24:05

Where are you located, OP? Would /could you relocate? If so, would he return to academia? (I realise there's very few jobs available atm but if he's got some good stuff for the next REF, he will be lucky eventually - getting interviews means he's employable : now it's a numbers game)

MiniEggAddiction Fri 13-Jan-17 20:25:34

Researchers in Schools. Assuming he has a PhD he can train to be a teacher and get paid a lot for the first two years.

MiniEggAddiction Fri 13-Jan-17 20:26:15

Sorry here's the link:

emma6776 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:28:24

Researcher for media/uni/publisher/government etc

hefzi Fri 13-Jan-17 20:28:59

Sorry posted too early! It's just that when we get to 2018, there'll be a massive surge in posts available because of the REF. I also know somewhere that's going to be advertising in the spring - feel free to PM me if you'd like a heads up.

Otherwise, retraining as a history teacher could be an option - there's a nice premium on training for PhD holders. And depending on what kind of history he does, he could be a fit with think tanks or places like IPPR, ODI etc

camtt Fri 13-Jan-17 20:32:09

he could look at non academic roles in universities where his background and research experience could be very useful and valued, eg as a research facilitator, grants administrator, student team member.

GlitterGlue Fri 13-Jan-17 20:39:22

Private schools don't always require teaching qualifications. Might be an option whilst he thinks about the future? Although at this point surely he needs to look at any job? The longer the gap the harder he'll find it to get back into work.

The suggestion of the uni careers service is good. He could also speak to the national careers service. He could make a start by thinking about what aspects of his previous role he enjoyed. Where else could he use those skills?

If he's still signing on (if only for his stamp) then what have the job centre suggested? No courses or advice?

Crumbs1 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:45:41

Teaching in FE college or independent school - he's not qualified for teaching in state school.
Curator in museum
Education officer in museum/stately home/cathedral
Something with historic buildings - national trust, EH, landmark trust

ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Fri 13-Jan-17 20:52:27

Thanks for all responses!
The research in schools don't do history at the mo, only maths and scientists.
He has got an oup book contract hefzi so there is potential for the Ref but spring 2018 is a long way away!

TopCatte Fri 13-Jan-17 20:56:06

I'd suggest teaching in an independent school or a high-achieving sixth form college.

Also I second the advice to go to the uni careers service - in my experience they don't pull their punches but were excellent

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: