Talk

Advanced search

To think even if your struggling then hacking your metre for free electricity is still not on

(205 Posts)
mpje Fri 13-Jan-17 12:20:13

NC to be anon, but I just don't think this is right at all. I kind of want to tip off someone about this theft, but I know if she gets caught she will be in a bigger mess.

It's more a WWYD?

wifework Fri 13-Jan-17 12:21:52

I disagree, particularly if it's a prepay meter (which is scandalously more expensive than the normal kind).

I would keep quiet. It's cold and dark. People need electricity.

WorldsSmallestPatio Fri 13-Jan-17 12:23:09

I tend to think that people who steal food when they're hungry and have no money and steal electricity when it's minus 2 like today are pretty fucking desperate.

BarbarianMum Fri 13-Jan-17 12:23:27

It's illegal. It may even be immoral. But I'd keep out of it, myself, and let the energy company deal with it.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 13-Jan-17 12:24:22

Electricity? Not exactly Mulberry handbags. I'd leave it be.

LIZS Fri 13-Jan-17 12:26:27

It is also potentially dangerous, for the person, family and neighbours.

GreenTureen Fri 13-Jan-17 12:27:23

I can remember my dad doing this when I was younger. And fiddling the Pay As You Go £1 meter that was attached to the Telly so we could keep watching it.

What difference does it make to you op? No one living a decent, comfortable life bothers to do such things - only the mega skint and desperate IME.

malmi Fri 13-Jan-17 12:27:34

If someone has bypassed their meter to steal electricity you can report them anonymously here
www.stayenergysafe.co.uk/report-energy-crime

I might report someone when I got my electricity bill and thought about how some of what I'm paying is effectively a subsidy to cover those who are stealing it.

malmi Fri 13-Jan-17 12:30:55

I probably wouldn't report if I knew they were really desperate or in severe financial difficulties though, or if it was someone I liked.

mpje Fri 13-Jan-17 12:31:09

What difference does it make to you op? No one living a decent, comfortable life bothers to do such things - only the mega skint and desperate IME.

Theft makes it more expensive for everyone else.

Soubriquet Fri 13-Jan-17 12:32:42

My mums tenants bypassed their gas meter

And did it really badly too.

There was a slow gas leak.

The debt was thousands and because the tenants legged it and can't be found, my mum has to pay

SheldonCRules Fri 13-Jan-17 12:33:23

I'd report, people who steal have no morals and make life more expensive for those that are honest and pay.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 13-Jan-17 12:33:38

biscuit

wifework Fri 13-Jan-17 12:34:52

I don't care if my electricity bill is a bit bigger if it means some little kid somewhere is warm enough.

Sorry about your mum though Sobriquet. It's a shame people are driven to enough desperation to do that kind of thing (not suggesting it was your mum doing the driving).

TheViceOfReason Fri 13-Jan-17 12:36:21

Honestly it would depend on their circumstances. If it was someone fiddling it because they could - ie they weren't brassic - then i'd probably report.

If someone was doing it because they are penniless and it's the difference between them suffering in the cold and dark - i'd keep quiet.

It's despicable the prepayment meters are the most expensive way of getting power - nothing like penalising those who can least afford it is there!! Frankly i can't object to paying an extra pound or two on my bill to cover someone who just doesn't have the money.

LoupGarou Fri 13-Jan-17 12:38:23

Exactly what TheViceOfReasln said.

If they are desperate YWBVU to report, morality isn't always black and white.

Bauble16 Fri 13-Jan-17 12:40:51

How is it harming you exactly? People do all sorts to survive. I wouldn't have the first clue how to do this, or want to. But my Mum did it most my childhood.

dArtagnansCrumpet Fri 13-Jan-17 12:41:43

Maybe if they cut down on luxuries such as Sky TV, mobile phones they might be able to afford it eh?

mpje Fri 13-Jan-17 12:42:10

Well it's not that they are pennyless, they probably have about the same as me. But I go through life without stealing, yes it's a struggle but that's the way it is.

Anyway the safety concern has made me realise that I can't ignore it, thanks for the link will be reporting now. Couldn't live with myself if something bad happened with the DC.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Fri 13-Jan-17 12:43:03

For every desperate person who thinks they're justified to steal electricity, how many more are there who are in similarly desperate situations who wouldn't steal on principle? These honest people will go without just a little bit more, because every time they can pay for electricity, they get a little less for their money, because they're subsidising their less moral fellow customers.

It's never the people who can afford it who suffer with this sort of crime.

Soubriquet Fri 13-Jan-17 12:43:26

They wasn't hard up either

Just didn't want to pay.

Refused to pay the rent too and when finally evicted, destroyed the house before the left (left the dining room right down to the bare bricks) and stole every lightbulb bizarrely

It was let fully furnished. They said they took the furniture to the tip but I've got a feeling they sold it for cash.

Awful people

BravoPanda Fri 13-Jan-17 12:45:02

Prepay meters are not more expensive than standard ones. Maybe 10rs ago but they changed the law didn't they? She'll get caught during her annual meter inspection unless she gets it reversed. They sell fake cards now too which people are being stung on. My MIL is that type and ended up £350 in gas debt because they clocked that the topup cards were all knockoffs and she thought they were legit (when they were half price? Ok hmm)

mpje Fri 13-Jan-17 12:45:13

For every desperate person who thinks they're justified to steal electricity, how many more are there who are in similarly desperate situations who wouldn't steal on principle? These honest people will go without just a little bit more, because every time they can pay for electricity, they get a little less for their money, because they're subsidising their less moral fellow customers.

I agree! brew

Buzzalot Fri 13-Jan-17 12:45:19

The subtext is really "I have to struggle so should you" isn't it?

Like you really give a small fuck about the electricity company hmm

dArtagnansCrumpet Fri 13-Jan-17 12:46:19

OP, what is your situation? Are you on minimum wage? Do the family work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now