Talk

Advanced search

To think I should be allowed to collect my children

(44 Posts)
Buzzalot Fri 13-Jan-17 11:07:37

We live 8 miles from the school down mostly down a one track lane. 95% of the kids at the school live nearby and walk

The road was treacherous this morning. Ice and snow, no grit, driving 5mph and trying to avoid the deep ditches.

The snow is still coming down heavily, ice is getting worse.

I just called the school to say I want to come and collect the children before it gets worse and I can't realistically drive on the road. They said no hmm and I should just leave earlier. The other kids would be annoyed if mine went home early and if I managed to get them in I can get them home, despite the worsening weather

AIBU to just drive to the school and ask for my kids?

ImperialBlether Fri 13-Jan-17 11:09:43

I'd do it if you seriously think you'll struggle getting home again.

ageingrunner Fri 13-Jan-17 11:09:49

Yanbu. They're your children. It's exceptional circumstances. Our school is closed and there's only about 2cm of snow and all the roads are open 😳

FilledSoda Fri 13-Jan-17 11:09:51

Not at all .
The school can't keep then against your wishes.

PatMullins Fri 13-Jan-17 11:11:50

Go for it, it's a school not a prison

Buzzalot Fri 13-Jan-17 11:13:04

They said it's not snowing where they are, like I was lying hmm

I'm going to give it an hour and then drive up and collect. Don't want to cause a scene but I don't think they can keep them if I want them?!

Cornettoninja Fri 13-Jan-17 11:13:22

Where abouts are you? The snow has eased off a bit here (north essex) and it just looks like slush at the moment.

I'd be inclined to judge again after lunchtime and just go get them if I was still concerned. Obviously you know what the forecast is in your area.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 13-Jan-17 11:13:36

Go collect them.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 13-Jan-17 11:14:01

Who did you speak to? Tell her OK well if i can't get there they like x for tea and y for breakfast. See you all Monday!

Buzzalot Fri 13-Jan-17 11:14:18

Corn, I'm north Essex too! In a village though, still snowing here!

Artandco Fri 13-Jan-17 11:14:50

You can collect your child any day at any time, it's school not prison

GreenTureen Fri 13-Jan-17 11:15:45

I don't think they can keep them if I want them?

Of course they can't! You were polite to have asked, I only speak to the school to politely inform them that I will be getting dc or that dc won't be in on X day etc.

WorraLiberty Fri 13-Jan-17 11:17:22

That's a shit reason for them to say no, unless they think you're massively exaggerating?

humblesims Fri 13-Jan-17 11:18:02

As others have said...Go and get them if that is what you want to do. The school is there to serve you and your children, they are not the boss of you.

NotThrowAwayMyShot Fri 13-Jan-17 11:19:43

If you think there is a possibility that you either won't be able to get to them, or get back home safely then you absolutely must collect them.

They won't be happy if they are stranded in school overnight after all.

Chrisinthemorning Fri 13-Jan-17 11:19:54

Our school is open but said on days like today it is parents decision whether we want to risk the journey.
It's a 5 minute drive normally but it was scary this morning, the roads don't seem to have been gritted and we were sliding a couple of times.
I did leave him but was in 2 minds whether to just bring him home again. I won't be sending him in in snow again unless I know the road outside school has definitely been gritted.
So YANBU. Just pick them up.

Finola1step Fri 13-Jan-17 11:20:06

I would let them stay for lunch and afternoon register. Go in after registration and simply say "I'm collecting them early due to terrible road conditions heading towards our village". That way they have got their attendance mark for the whole day (this is what the school actually care about).

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 13-Jan-17 11:23:36

go at beginning of lunchtime...at least you are not hauling them out of class then, but I'd be unimpressed at them saying no tbh, not their call at all.

I'd also remind them that you were informing them of your intentions, not seeking their permission....esp given your route home.

pudcat Fri 13-Jan-17 11:25:55

Send the school an email with some photos of the conditions

chipsandchilli Fri 13-Jan-17 11:28:34

I would go and get them, my kids lived the furthest away from the primary and a few year back i done the same and got mine collected as i would have to walk 2 miles with a baby in a pram in heavy snow, the only time i could get them collected was 2 hours before finish, school were fine. Just go and get them and say you are not prepared to drive in these conditions with the kids in the car, you struggled this morning and its worse now and they can't walk home

Cornettoninja Fri 13-Jan-17 11:32:33

Oh I can believe it - me and dp (at work a few miles away) have very different experiences today grin

I'd definitely let them get lunch out the way then fetch them if you're not happy. I don't think we're due more snow but on a rural road I think ice is more of an issue as it gets later.

blankmind Fri 13-Jan-17 11:35:19

Turn up at the school with photos of the conditions and say you want your kids now.

Agree with Tondelaya "I'd also remind them that you were informing them of your intentions, not seeking their permission....esp given your route home."

Earlgreywithmilk Fri 13-Jan-17 11:35:53

ilovecaindingle grin - brilliant!

holidaysaregreat Fri 13-Jan-17 11:38:58

what finola said

budgiegirl Fri 13-Jan-17 11:40:31

Just go and get them, if there's a chance it will be more dangerous to drive later.

My DSs secondary school emailed this morning to say that the bus was struggling on icy roads, and if it was difficult to get the children there, then they can stay at home. And we've got almost no snow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now