Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if they've changed the Highway Code and no one told me?

(159 Posts)
Chicken4dinner Fri 13-Jan-17 09:02:19

Or far more likely when did drivers become so inconsiderate?

I've just tried to cross a fairly busy road at a zebra crossing. I stood with one foot on the crossing making it obvious I was trying to cross and five cars zoomed right past me.

I took one step forward, so I was 2 or 3 ft from the kerb and still no one stopped. When there was a very small break in the traffic I walked forward but was prepared to leap back if I had to. I made it across in one piece.

I'm a driver. I always stop when I see someone crossing on a zebra.

It was quite nerve wracking walking out before the cars had stopped and I'm a mobile forty-something. How elderly or less mobile people cope I don't know.

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 13-Jan-17 09:09:38

Yes section 4.6 of the highway code now reads "in the hours of 8-9am and 5-6pm, commonly referred to as 'rush hour' drivers are now expected to drive like total fuckwits"
grin

PinkBunnyOnesieOnOrder Fri 13-Jan-17 09:22:31

They've changed loads of it!

Section 24, 3. Indicators. (Now reads) Pretty little lights on the side of your vehicle. Save them for special occasions. Best saved for when you're taking the next exit off of a round about, use your right one. Lovely.

Or Section 27, 2. Lanes. If YOU are in a hurry, it's totally acceptable to drive on the other side of the road, along the queue of cars, and BEEEEEP your horn to be let in between the cars waiting there, clearly they're not needing to be anywhere else or they'd be doing the same thing.

Section 29, 6. Country roads. Please ignore any speed signs & do not apply any common sense. Please drive at maximum speed, especially on roads that are windy, have narrow bridges, frequent deer crossings & are prone to flooding. Better still if there are several cars to overtake on the brow of the hill.

Chicken4dinner Fri 13-Jan-17 09:26:29

grin. You've both cheered me up. My walk from the tube to my office out me in a foul mood.

Chicken4dinner Fri 13-Jan-17 09:27:42

Put me not out me.

<wonders why phone always changes put to out>

ItsyBitsyBikini Fri 13-Jan-17 09:28:35

Not indicating is my pet hate! Was beeped at and flashed by some idiot last night because I was doing 30 on (shock horror) a 30 road. He cut me up by undertaking me and then swung right without indicating, braking or checking there were no cars coming along, which there were, luckily they were doing the speed limit too so just missed him.

ricepolo Fri 13-Jan-17 09:29:36

Nobody indicates anymore!! Ever! It's ridiculous. So dangerous and flipping lazy.

Famalam13 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:36:24

No indicating drives me insane. Also the number of people who drive through a crossing when the light is orange, there's no space on the other side so they are stuck in the middle of the crossing when the green man appears. Makes it a nightmare to get a pram across angry

Yesterday I was waiting on the pavement with the pram ready to cross. The road in front of me was double yellows. However a woman decided to park directly in front of me and gestured at me to move further down the road to cross. Um I am the one legally standing on the pavement, you are the one illegally parking. It's not me that has to move!

annlee3817 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:37:01

Also Section 31, Roundabouts - You do not need to give way to the right if you are A - In a hurry or B - a total Arsehole

annlee3817 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:37:02

Also Section 31, Roundabouts - You do not need to give way to the right if you are A - In a hurry or B - a total Arsehole

ChipInTheSugar Fri 13-Jan-17 09:38:10

"Mirror, signal, manoeuvre" seems to have been edited out completely. It's now "cut someone up, glance in mirror, gesticulate".

FishChipsAndBeans Fri 13-Jan-17 09:41:09

Section 5: pedestrians and parking. Feel free to park on pavements, only leaving a gap of 4 inches. Adults, dog walkers, wheelchair users and people with prams are perfectly happy to walk into the road to get past your car.

UnderTheGaydar Fri 13-Jan-17 09:41:55

Oh Roundabouts- every time!

The amount of near misses and the other day I had an older gentleman lose the plot because I dared to proceed on the roundabout (He was to my left) He wasn't going to stop and about to plough into my car which made me hesitate- lunatic got out of the car and told me it was his right of way (Ummmm)

That evening I bought a dashCAM. Best bit of car kit ever! You'd be surprised at how less cocky people are when you tell them you've recorded them driving like a twunt. grin

Famalam13 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:42:17

Yes that one too Fish! I don't drive so the ones that really annoy me are the ones where there is a complete lack of consideration for pedestrians.

Anniegetyourgun Fri 13-Jan-17 09:45:22

Don't forget my personal favourite: hazard warning lights, a brilliant feature that allows you to stop wherever you like, regardless of any signs, lines or traffic conditions. I don't know how people managed to get their shopping done before hazard lights were invented.

specialsubject Fri 13-Jan-17 09:48:00

I never trust a crossing until the driver has actually stopped - and I even had one that suddenly started up again and drove across in front of me. He parked in the adjacent shop so I bent his ear, apparently he didn't see me...

Also new code - lorry drivers must speed, tailgate and be distracted by phones.

ElfOnMyShelf Fri 13-Jan-17 09:48:26

Keep left on the motorway unless over taking.
you see those three empty lanes to your left, what's wrong with them?

there's a round about near me where people continually use the left lane for the 3rd exit. It's so dangerous on that round about.

brasty Fri 13-Jan-17 09:50:01

Where I live, drivers routinely stop at zebra crossings when they see someone approaching it. It is lovely.

DoIDareDisturbTheUniverse Fri 13-Jan-17 09:50:40

My favourite is when they get right up your arse when you're going the speed limit. It's a 30, there's regularly police speed camera vans parked along this road so I'm definitely not risking it! Then they overtake you and as they do so, stare at you out of the passenger window like you're in the wrong. hmm

ElfOnMyShelf Fri 13-Jan-17 09:51:26

Yes to the crossing problem. I have to cross a busy junction walking to school. No bugger indicates. You just have to cross and hope for the best. I also have to walk on a bit where it's only wide enough for one car. But fuck it, just drive on the pavement instead. Make the pedestrian wait, it's not like it's their place.

PinkBunnyOnesieOnOrder Fri 13-Jan-17 09:51:59

Chicken4dinner. I'm glad you're feeling a bit more cheerful!

firawla Fri 13-Jan-17 09:52:38

Once a bus driver nearly ran me over on a zebra crossing and tried with a straight face to say that the Highway Code gives him priority over pedestrian on Zebra crossing cos he's a bus!! confused
There are a lot of idiots on the road!!

FucksSakeSusan Fri 13-Jan-17 09:53:18

I've nearly been taken out on our zebra crossing a few times, mostly when I was on my own but on more than one occasion with my son. I don't think people realise they should stop and it's not just courtesy.

Chewbecca Fri 13-Jan-17 09:53:53

I got honked the other day for my driving.

I was coming up to a green traffic light at a crossroads, I was turning left. Someone coming towards me wanted to turn right into the same road. They seemed to take offence that I went first. I am still boggling about it as for me it is a clear cut right of way.

So YANBU.

MerylPeril Fri 13-Jan-17 09:54:18

My favourite is - if you have a bigger more expensive car you always have right of way over smaller cars.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: