Talk

Advanced search

To be scared to drive in this weather?

(8 Posts)
Stingray2008 Fri 13-Jan-17 07:07:04

I only passed my test at the end of last year and have never driven in these sort of conditions. I have to get to work 15miles away the snow has melted quite a bit where i live but its still there and just looking at its making me nervous.

For the 16yrs before i learnt to drive i have ridden motorbikes (still do if its not to wet or icy) as a means of transport so it may be why im worried about slipping so much.

5moreminutes Fri 13-Jan-17 07:10:06

You'll be fine if you take it steady, but should consider winter tyres and a couple of advanced driving lessons concentrating on winter road conditions if you can afford them, to avoid feeling like this on an ongoing basis.

YNBU unreasonable to be a bit scared, or to drive carefully but YWBU to miss work because of it.

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, how bad it actually is where you are etc so perhaps I'm being cruel, but eventually you will need to drive in poor conditions. Just try and leave lots of time, accept there's a chance you might be a bit late (but that's okay) and be extra aware of hazards. You can do this.

MargotsDevil Fri 13-Jan-17 07:14:29

Also remember to use the engine to slow down - try to avoid hitting the brakes.

CharlieDimmocksbosoms Fri 13-Jan-17 07:15:37

The trick is to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front. Especially up steep hills. Let the car in front get to the top before you try!! Don't rely on brakes- use gears to slow down and be very soft on the brakes where necessary. If you skid then steer into the skid. Not out of it. Other than that you should be fine. Always keep a thick blanket, shovel and some food and drink in the boot. Just in case!!

Ifailed Fri 13-Jan-17 07:16:21

Agree with NiceCuppaTea, just take it easy. The fact you are concerned is a good sign, you know it will be different, unlike too many drivers who fail to take notice of the change in conditions. Drive slower than usual, and take extra care when turning into another road.

Sirzy Fri 13-Jan-17 07:17:21

Is public transport an option?

I wish a session on a skid pan was compulsory to pass your driving test. Otherwise so many drivers have no idea what to do it weather like this

Stingray2008 Fri 13-Jan-17 07:45:10

I will take it easy i have to drive as i live in the sticks. Lukily i live in the south east.

Just shouted at dp for standing at the window telling the kids to come look at a car struggling and how he saw blah blah blah last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now