Talk

Advanced search

To Ask A Quick WWYD

(22 Posts)

Sorry for posting here, just need traffic and nice quick answers.

We live on a hill. It has snowed heavily overnight. DP reckons he can get the car out of our road with difficulty (cul-de-sac, doesn't get gritted so there's snow on the road), I don't think he will. We currently have scarily high winds as well as snow so it's a bit of a blizzard. No roads closed at the moment but I can't see that lasting. Would he BU to call in to work today? It's an hour's drive away over more hills and treacherous bits. He's an agency worker and worried he'll get the sack.

Chocolatecake12 Fri 13-Jan-17 07:09:54

Sounds like a dangerous drive to me. If he got the car off of the hill you live on is there another way to work that's not over more hills etc?
I would phone in I think......

austenozzy Fri 13-Jan-17 07:11:34

I fear that the unreasonableness will come from the agency, despite your clearly reasonable concerns. Hope it works out for you.

FannyUmbongo Fri 13-Jan-17 07:12:12

I would phone them and say he will try and get in later, depending on roads being gritted etc

Catsize Fri 13-Jan-17 07:13:22

How much snow?

ItsyBitsyBikini Fri 13-Jan-17 07:14:26

I would do what fanny said. Get him to ring them and say he'll try and get in later.

Thanks. He saw the amount of snow piled up at the bottom of the window and realised he was being daft to attempt it. He's going to call in now. Thanks for quick replies!

Fanny we don't get gritted here at all unfortunately, only the main roads.

Sirzy Fri 13-Jan-17 07:15:03

Can he contact anyone closer to work to see what roads are like?

CheeseAtFourpence Fri 13-Jan-17 07:17:57

I've been in a similar position. Are buses running? Could he walk to a nearby bus stop to get in. I think it looks better to be late having made an effort than not to turn in.

Catsize Fri 13-Jan-17 07:26:54

It really does depend on what the road is like. Other countries function perfectly well whether a road is gritted or not. I totally stressed about taking a car a couple of hundred metres down a snowy steep hill last week. It was fine. I am not telling you to do that if you really genuinely think it would be dangerous, but if you look out of your window and think 'it's no worse than being in Austria/Germany/France etc in the snow', I don't see the issue,

Sirzy he doesn't know anyone who lives closer.

Cheese No bus route goes there as it's so rural (literally, the factory he works at is the only thing there) otherwise I'd suggest that to him, he wants to be there and doesn't want to let people down but it's still snowing and almost 50mph winds according to the weather, it's not a good combo.

Catsize Fri 13-Jan-17 07:27:40

Should say though, the road was in deep compacted snow.

it's no worse than being in Austria/Germany/France etc in the snow

I've not been to any of these in the snow wink

It's a combination of the hill, and not knowing what the rest of the roads are like. The route he has to take to work, we've seen snowdrifts higher than the car in recent years (early 2014 I think it was, because I was pregnant and terrified that we'd get stuck there!).

He's said if he had a 4x4 he'd be ok, but it's a little C3 which he insists isn't on its last legs but it is.

RubyWinterstorm Fri 13-Jan-17 07:30:35

Does he have winter tyres? Def a no with summer ones.

Is it front or rearwheel drive? Or 4 wheel?

Are the main roads ok?

All these things matter

emmyhNL Fri 13-Jan-17 07:31:21

It's not just about getting to work but getting home again. That's where most of my problems come from!

Verticalvenetianblinds Fri 13-Jan-17 07:34:39

Where do you live and are there any houses for sale there? No snow here and feeling deprived misses point of thread

Catsize Fri 13-Jan-17 07:38:56

I'm sure you've probably seen pictures OP. If he genuinely thinks it is unsafe, he shouldn't do it. Not worth it. I've driven in very scary conditions and nearly lost the car off the road in Iceland, as the winds blew across the landscape and the road was like an ice rink. Wouldn't recommend that, and only you can really judge.

grin vertical

We have to move soon, I can't cope with getting stuck here once a winter at least. You can have our place.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 13-Jan-17 07:43:41

People in German/Sweden etc are experienced in driving in snow and bad conditions and are equity for it with snow tires etc. It would be silly to do something dangerous for work. I imagine he won't be the only one. Maybe he can go in later if conditions improve.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 13-Jan-17 07:45:14

*equipt

SasBel Fri 13-Jan-17 07:50:20

I used to live in hilly, rural Scotland, and if we had snow drifts we called in, mainly it was getting home safely in the evening when the temperature plummeted. Light covering of snow where I am now but realy windy! Be safe.

Clearoutre Fri 13-Jan-17 08:27:03

Totally depends on your car and state of the roads - there's a reason for warnings that say don't drive unless necessary and it's because cars lose control and end up doing 180s, sliding down hills into other cars/gardens/houses and ending up completely off road needing a tow (who can't get to you for hours) - it's so not worth it, esp without snow tyres/chains. Check if your car has any features like 'hill descent' where it controls the torque on all wheels and you just steer. Above all be safe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now