Talk

Advanced search

Council van hitting my wall and fence

(10 Posts)
hanban89 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:43:20

We live at the bottom of small slope with two properties behind us. A council van reveresed up to collect bins and veered into my wall fence coming back down. I had no idea until my husband seen the commotion driving past on his lunch break. It was totally stuck against my fence post as there is a slight embankment between fence and road. I went out to take talk to them and at this point they were trying to tow it forward straight into my fence! Luckily we have builders along the road and they came and forklifted the front of the van away. But then the council employees reveresed it into my wall manoeveribg it! These things happen so i wasn't annoyed it happened, but the man that had come from the council offices to assess the situation came to knock once they managed to get it out and said no damage except some gravel next to the wall had been churned up.
After the council guys were away the forklift driver knocked yo say had I seen the damage and he showed me. They hit the wall and took a chunk out a coping stone while also separating two coping stones from the wall which need concreting back on.
I'm not bothered if there was damage but AIBU to think the council man should have come clean to say the wall had been slightly damaged and needed a quick fix? Now I'm gonna have to call them and try sort it out.

hanban89 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:44:33

Here's the pic

hanban89 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:45:06

Ooh just realised am I allowed to post that?

icy121 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:49:26

Think that's photo is fine to post. Shows how south east/London centric that I haven't got a scooby where your county is!!

ninjapants Thu 12-Jan-17 22:56:17

YANBU, he should have been honest, apologised and given you details of who to contact to sort it out. But he didn't do any of that so unfortunately you'll have to contact the council yourself. Let them know you have pics and witnesses and hopefully they will fix the damage quickly without any fuss.
Btw, I know where you live wink

AddToBasket Thu 12-Jan-17 22:59:51

Get a bit feisty and you should get back the cost of whatever repairs are necessary.

Take lots of photos and write everything down including names of the builders, building company, which house etc. Boring but necessary. Then email council and ask them to repair it or refund any repair cost.

FrancisCrawford Thu 12-Jan-17 23:03:32

Clackmannan is central Scotland, Icy

(ive done a lot of work there and have a very soft spot for it)

Yes, contact the council with witnesses and photos

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 12-Jan-17 23:06:43

Yanbu, they should have owned up. If they don't want to pay just let your home insurance people deal with them.

HaloOnFire Thu 12-Jan-17 23:47:19

Something similar happend to my friend but with a bin wagon and the wall of her terraced house. Scraped all the render off the side.
She had to submit two quotes for repairs and they paid up.

hanban89 Fri 13-Jan-17 00:06:48

Ooh ninja that's exciting. Are you a neighbour?
My DH is furious that I didn't get the name of the guy but hey ho. I'm not bothered by the damage as its just one of these things but I'm annoyed they didn't say anything. I'm glad that the forklift driver was witnessing also. He said that the neighbour to the side also came out and was raging as they had the towing van across his driveway with just spinning wheels trying to pull it out sideways.
So glad we got that fence as initially the builder told us we weren't allowed it due to planning. But I argued with planning and said if it's icy there is nothing to stop a car coming off straight into our house. They agreed and the fence went up. That's all that was stopping it from being too bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now