Talk

Advanced search

About frozen mixed veg?

(94 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 12-Jan-17 21:15:28

I have bought some for the first time, mainly because ds 17 months old likes peas and I thought he might like this too.

I'm 37 wks pregnant and cba to cook properly, so we've just had the frozen mixed veg with our chicken and potatoes. It feels a bit crap! Like it's not proper veg.

It was OK. Better then no veg I suppose.

Pretty sure my mother would be horrified though. Do others count it as proper veg?

Busybeesbum Thu 12-Jan-17 21:16:41

Agreed it's foul

clumsyduck Thu 12-Jan-17 21:16:53

Erm yeh because it is grin I think being frozen means it holds the nutrients better to

I always think fresh looks more appealing though

Poocatcherchampion Thu 12-Jan-17 21:17:48

No - I give it with waffles and chicken bits every now and then for a lazy tea. They never eat it so I am not buying it agai n.

Dh served some for me once and I was confused

DJBaggySmalls Thu 12-Jan-17 21:18:01

It counts as proper veg in the same way that tinned fruit salad is a proper pudding grin

DaisyQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 21:18:43

I don't like it. It always ends up with mushy over cooked bits and it all tastes the same

Nottalotta Thu 12-Jan-17 21:19:13

Ds picked the peas out btw. It consists of peas, sweetcorn, green beans and carrots. All tiny pieces.

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 21:19:35

It has a kind of floppy rubbery texture & reminds me of school dinners

Yoarchie Thu 12-Jan-17 21:22:07

It's shit. Peas are lovely frozen, sweet corn is fine as long as it's just sweetcorn. Any frozen carrots are rank.

bigmouthstrikesagain Thu 12-Jan-17 21:22:41

I like frozen sweet corn and peas. Frozen berries for smoothies. Frozen herbs and garlic. I freeze my food regularly, pasta sauce when I make extra, lasagnes, bread, pastry. So I am not sniffy about frozen food, it certainly has its place.

AfroPuffs Thu 12-Jan-17 21:23:57

I like the ocado one but only use to chuck into pasta sauces and curries etc.

Most frozen veg when cooked tastes all watery and flavourless to me...not good! sad

TheLambShankRedemption Thu 12-Jan-17 21:24:06

Frozen carrots are shiteous.

BiggerBoatNeeded Thu 12-Jan-17 21:24:24

The frozen mixed veg I end up with never seems to cook at the same time. So rock hard carrots but hideously over done peas. Useless.

Tempered Thu 12-Jan-17 21:25:40

I use it. I stick it in the microwave, with a tiny bit of water. I thought that was meant to be better than boiling it?

I tend to ruin fresh vegetables. I'm a bit rubbish!

GymBunnyWannabe Thu 12-Jan-17 21:26:41

If you buy the tiny diced pieces one then yes, it's all a bit shit.

If you buy decent non-diced stuff, like proper broccoli florets, it's fab.

Nottalotta Thu 12-Jan-17 21:28:12

It is the tiny shite. I tried the broccoli once and it kept going soggy. Gross.

lilyb84 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:28:59

We mostly eat frozen! Holds its nutrients better, lasts longer, cheaper, quicker to cook... I grew up eating it. We do fresh vegetables pretty much as a treat. Not a massive fan of frozen carrots though.

I don't think I've ever had non frozen peas, thinking about it...

Wondermoomin Thu 12-Jan-17 21:29:20

I use it the same way as Tempered, effectively steaming it in the microwave. I imagine it would be a bit soggy if you boiled it. I have no qualms about frozen veg. Yes it can hold its nutrients more than fresh sometimes, it's nicer than canned, and it means we've always got veg of some sort on hand. We do buy some fresh veg as well but I wouldn't be without the frozen stuff.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Thu 12-Jan-17 21:29:37

My acceptable frozen veg list is peas, sweetcorn and baby brussel sprouts. I also buy green beans when they're very expensive, to add as bulk to currys but they don't work as a green bean substitute without being in a sauce as they are a bit limp.

Carrots just don't work for me from frozen.

hels71 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:29:52

I only use it in casseroles to save the hassle of preparing fresh veg

Bejazzled Thu 12-Jan-17 21:31:19

Big bag of frozen mixed beans and peas from Waitrose is great. Frozen broccoli is good as long as it isn't overboiled. Carrots for some reason don't freeze well though.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Thu 12-Jan-17 21:39:25

I've always wanted to try the m&s frozen chopped onions. I like the idea of scouping a cup of ready chopped onions, no mess, no crying.

Tempered Thu 12-Jan-17 21:40:00

My children love frozen baby carrots and brussels.

I'm so relieved that others use frozen too....I can convince myself I'm not completely rubbish!!

DoJo Thu 12-Jan-17 21:41:29

Roast it! All delicious - peas, sweetcorn, beans, carrots, sweet potato, asparagus, broad beans, it's all good!

Dahlietta Thu 12-Jan-17 21:42:22

I think it depends whether you're asking is it nutritionally okay or is it rank. I think it's nutritionally fine - as pp have said, the freezing keeps the nutrients in and it's perfectly acceptable. Is it rank? Fairly, yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now