Talk

Advanced search

Travel time aibu?

(38 Posts)
Foxysoxy01 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:07:45

A very simple aibu!

Wibu to expect people to travel 40 mins (18 miles) from a church wedding service to a reception venue?

PlayOnWurtz Thu 12-Jan-17 20:08:52

Yanbu if it's family or close friend

SarahOoo Thu 12-Jan-17 20:09:34

It's not unreasonable but it's not great fun either. You also lose time during your wedding day so I wouldn't recommend it. However if circumstances are what they are then it can't be helped.

JassyRadlett Thu 12-Jan-17 20:10:29

How are they going to get from place a to place b?

altiara Thu 12-Jan-17 20:10:42

Yes.

LIZS Thu 12-Jan-17 20:10:52

Seems a long way. Is it rural or urban? We once had to go from a church into a city centre, on a Saturday. The journey took a while and then there were photos and drinks before the meal, by which time we were fed up and starving!

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 12-Jan-17 20:10:53

I think it's a bit far, really.

Foxysoxy01 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:11:27

Well it's family and close friends but some people have a long journey so may have to stay over etc.

junebirthdaygirl Thu 12-Jan-17 20:11:47

It's probably the limit of the distance l would like travelling.. Obviously l would do the distance if l was invited but would be happier if it was no longer than 40 mins.
Round here the usual is 30 to 40 mins

Crabbitstick Thu 12-Jan-17 20:11:56

Did this for a wedding. It was fine. Wedding party organised a coach and we all took a travel bottle and had a sing song.

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 12-Jan-17 20:13:37

A bit unreasonable. If they have to drive they won't be able to have a drink. Is there decent public transport at least? Not that that's ideal really.

GloGirl Thu 12-Jan-17 20:13:57

Is that a conservative 40 minutes? Like it's a 20 minute drive but in Saturday traffic it might take 40 or is it a 40 minute on Google and therefore probably more like an hours drive?

If it's a long way people tend to stop off and get a sandwich on the way and dawdle. People might also check in when they arrive if it's a hotel so your drinks reception if you have one will be very long and not much atmosphere as people come in dribs and drabs. But if you're doing your professional pics you might not mind!

Foxysoxy01 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:14:46

Yeah it doesn't sound ideal I know sad

It's difficult because there is a church with significance and a reception again with significance but both are 40 mins from each other.
Wouldn't be able to do mini buses or anything as would need somewhere to leave cars and would mean people had to go at the same time etc.

It's rural for a couple of miles then decent roads.

Thanks for the answers!

morningafterglow Thu 12-Jan-17 20:16:01

Yeah, honestly you are a little bit unless you are providing transport. Not much fun and wastes a lot of your day and time. It would make me think twice about a wedding unless it was close friend or family.

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:16:25

Will you lay on coaches etc? It's a bit of a journey.

Bambooboo Thu 12-Jan-17 20:17:44

I've done it, several years ago. Was a 35/40 min journey from city outskirts to a more rural reception. It wasn't fun. Tbh it takes a lot away from fun and general merriment of the day.
Even worse I'm going to one in the summer with a 1hr 15min journey. Suburban church where family have all been married/christened, reception at a hotel in the countryside. Going to be a total faff.

Foxysoxy01 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:18:24

It's about 35 mins so saying 40 just in case.

I don't want to completely out myself but it's for a sort of activity then onto the actual hotel/pub place after the wedding itself.
The hotel obviously has rooms if anyone wanted.

girlelephant Thu 12-Jan-17 20:20:07

I've had that journey but always when a coach was provided from the church to the venue. Then after the reception there was a further coach from the venue to a location that would allow public transport.

We drove back to the Church the next day to collect our car (as did many others

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:20:42

Then just ask if anyone needs transport and lay on mini buses to transport them.

Foxysoxy01 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:20:58

Yeah I think it's too far really.

I can't see how logistically we could put on coaches as it would mean having a public car park somewhere picking people up taking them to church then 40 mins to reception then 40 mins back to cars at end of evening and maybe a coach for next morning as well if people staying in hotel?

BackforGood Thu 12-Jan-17 20:21:04

If it must be, then it must be, but it makes for an expensive day if people are wanting a drink later and not wanting to drive home. It's also a long way if people don't have a car / can't drive. It's also a long way to ask a relations / friend to kindly 'drop them off' if they don't have a car with them.

Is there the option of a small bus or minibus from the Church to the Reception ?
Only you know how many people won't be willing or able to drive.

We had a longer trip than that only this Summer, but there were special reasons for the venue of the Reception and the particular Church, so people understood. If it's just because you fancy a particular garden view or something, then I'd say it's a bit inconsiderate, but if there is no venue available closer, then that's what it must be.
You will lose time in the day though, waiting for someone who has taken a wrong turn, or gone on a diversion etc.

Bailey101 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:21:46

Could you arrange for people to park and meet at the hotel and then have a coach to the ceremony and back again? That way it's not too much driving or faffing around between the two (assuming the hotel is nearer to where people live)

happypoobum Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:08

I was already thinking it would put me off...then you dropped in that there was an "activity"..............

SheldonCRules Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:44

If you're providing transport yes, if not it's a lot to ask and unless a very close relative then I'd likely decline as it's a long day without driving in between.

GloGirl Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:47

Just realised I did it as a groom I knew got married in local Church then onwards a good 30 mins to venue.

I would do it for my wedding but thered have to be a really good reason for it and I'd try and make it as easy as poss -coach on from hotel to wedding then back to hotel again maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now