Talk

Advanced search

to expect a handbag manufacturer to refund postage for returning a faulty bag?

(21 Posts)
Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 18:15:27

I bought a fairly expensive handbag in 2014 but only used it for very special occasions (weddings etc). I reckon it has been only used 8 times since purchase.

Anyway, I was using it the other day and a rivet on the handle gave way meaning that the handle detached. I contacted the manufacturer and they will repair it but they want me to fund the return postage. I challenged this and indicated that the bag was faulty.

They said that they were willing to repair and return free of charge even though it was out of warranty but I had to pay to get the bag to them. (Being out of warranty is irrelevant as under the Sale of Goods act they have to repair for free if I contact them with a faulty item within 5 years (Scotland)).

The question is, am I being unreasonable to ask them to refund the cost of posting the bag to them via recorded delivery as they request?

Lasagna Thu 12-Jan-17 18:17:22

It will cost a fiver... isn't getting you're "fairly expensive" bag repaired worth more than £5? confused

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 18:18:57

It probably would be Lasagne but I was wondering whether legally they had to pay for the postage. I'm unsure about my consumer rights.

Underthemoonlight Thu 12-Jan-17 18:22:42

Bloody hell you bought the bag in 2014 they are doing the repair. If it's an expensive bag surely the cost of the postage to be sent to them is worth it, I'm flabbergasted you would challenge it, seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

msannabella Thu 12-Jan-17 18:26:02

Technically they can ask you to prove it was faulty when you bought it if it's more than 6 months since the sale, which is pretty difficult to do so I'd suck it up and pay the postage since they seem to be willing to work with you!

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 18:26:39

They have to do the repair under the Sale of Goods Act. And usually you can have the postage refunded for a faulty items that was bought through distance selling. I'm just not sure if the refund of postage is applicable under the warranty only or also under the Sale of Goods Act.

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 18:29:07

That's probably sound advice msannabella as I know cases where people have returned faulty items to be tested and the item was found to be okay by the manufacturer and they wouldn't refund postage.

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 19:34:06

ah, I can see from Trustpilot reviews that others seem to have had problems with the rivets coming away. It seems that the bags are faulty. And there were complaints about the customer service too, although to be fair I found them pleasant to deal with.

Sugarlightly Thu 12-Jan-17 19:38:00

They don't have to refund postage - its a separate thing.

NotStoppedAllDay Thu 12-Jan-17 19:55:26

YABU quoting the 'sales of goods act'

it hasn't existed since oct 2015!!!

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 12-Jan-17 19:59:49

They're under no obligation to refund your postage.

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 20:13:15

Which magazine states that if there is a fault, then the online seller cannot ask you to cover the cost of returning the goods:

'Returning faulty goods bought online
The Consumer Contracts Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.
So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same rights under the Consumer Rights Act as you have when buying face to face.
Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item don't apply where the goods being returned are faulty.'

I bought the bag after the Consumer Contracts Regulations came into force in June 2014. Given that other consumers have had problems with the rivets I will press the point that the bag is faulty.

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 20:14:30

Sorry cross posted. I bought the bag when the Sale of Goods Act was in place.

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 20:17:33

But I didn't buy under the Consumer Rights Act mentioned in the Which magazine piece - so it may be the case that under the Sale of Goods Act you have to pay for postage.

NotStoppedAllDay Thu 12-Jan-17 20:17:59

a handful have faulty rivets....reported online on some webpage.....hundreds will have had no problem and don't post anywhere

ImperialBlether Thu 12-Jan-17 20:19:21

So this Act says that anything that is faulty within five years has to be repaired? Anything at all?

LivingInMidnight Thu 12-Jan-17 20:21:55

I think the customer contracts regulations you've posted are the distance selling ones? They relate to purchases you've just received (14 days) where you're cancelling the contract.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:59

Radley did. From another country and everything.

Blink1982 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:28:33

You bought the bag three years ago. Be great film they haven't told you to sod off.

Blink1982 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:29:15

Greatfull* not great film 😁

Lissette Thu 12-Jan-17 22:58:16

I rarely used the bag Blink. And there does seem to be some legal protection for a number of years after purchase. You won't get a refund but they need to repair it if it is faulty as opposed to wear and tear. And according to Which, they shouldn't expect me to bear the cost of the postage if the bag is faulty. I am grateful that they haven't told me to sod off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now