Talk

Advanced search

To not want to loan my clothes out

(51 Posts)
Skiclothesdilemma Thu 12-Jan-17 17:55:19

A friend has just text & asked if I still have my ski clothes because she is on the blag for her 15 yo DC.

I do still have them but they were very expensive & I couldn't possible afford to replace them if they were damaged or lost. Having sent my kids on school ski trips I know nothing 100% comes back.

AIBU to say sorry no ?

Flanderspigeonmurderer Thu 12-Jan-17 17:57:15

You've passed them on to a relative?

confuugled1 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:58:35

I'd just say no - maybe say they are still in use if you feel better justifying things.

Suggest she sees if there's anyone from last year's trip that's not going and wants to sell them on - a local or parents Facebook group perhaps...

ChasedByBees Thu 12-Jan-17 17:58:54

I think it's fine to just decline.

Bananalanacake Thu 12-Jan-17 17:59:09

You had a BO problem and it just won't wash out so you think it's a little unhygienic.

Tell her you've lent them to someone on a ski season.

ImperialBlether Thu 12-Jan-17 18:00:34

No way would I lend expensive ski clothes to a 15 year old! I don't think I'd even reply!

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 12-Jan-17 18:01:07

I would just respond 'Sorry, these cost me a fortune and I don't lend them out. have you tried asking on Freegle/Freecycle?'

YANBU.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 12-Jan-17 18:01:51

I have a really cheap jacket and I'd lend that, but over my cold dead body would I lend out my super expensive over indulgent but much loved trousers. I'd just say no, and give that reason, they cost a bomb. I don't think a non skier may know the cost. Send them to Aldi!

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 12-Jan-17 18:05:18

I agree with others. Say you've already lent them out. Maybe advise her to go to decathlon or eBay for cheap ski gear.

Scholes34 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:06:58

She should be able to hire some kit locally too, if she doesn't want to buy.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 12-Jan-17 18:07:27

No I haven't got them anymore will do.

Chloe84 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:08:32

YANBU. Don't say you've lent them out, she 'll ask when you're getting them back off the lendee.

Say you've sold them.

ImperialBlether Thu 12-Jan-17 18:18:11

She's got a real nerve asking. She knows they won't come back in the same condition. If you want your kids to go skiing you have to accept the cost of equipment and clothing - it's a very expensive holiday.

Yoarchie Thu 12-Jan-17 18:23:51

I agree with saying they cost a fortune and you don't lend them out. If you try and make an excuse then she'll know it's an excuse and push you further. ie have you lent all of it, who to, when/where. If you say outright no she is less likely to push.

Creampastry Thu 12-Jan-17 18:23:55

Don't lend them! Make an excuse!!

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 12-Jan-17 18:34:41

YANBU to say no or just you no longer have them . To be honest, people like her annoy me intensely . If I want or need something , I buy it as does DH and have never borrowed anything . A relative wanted to "borrow " an expensive and fairly new games console AND a TV to play it on,indefinitely! The same relative who "lost" a carpet cleaner we begrudgingly let them use! So basically people like that will just get away with never buying or having to pay for things because they rely on others to fork out so they can "borrow " stuff. Nope.

SidAndNancy Thu 12-Jan-17 18:38:55

I wouldn't say you haven't got them anymore just in case you plan on going skiing and then wear them and have a photo wearing them on fb. Not worth the trouble.

I'd say you lent them to a relative you saw over Christmas.

mya83 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:39:04

I agree with previous posters, just say they cost you too much to be lending out as you couldn't afford to replace them if they got lost or damaged.

Crumbs1 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:01:12

School ski trips usually arrange hire packages for children who are first timers or who don't own. If they can afford a ski trip they can afford to hire. Alternatively, places like Asda and Sports Direct do some cheap ski wear. I'd say really sorry they're with a friend at moment.

altiara Thu 12-Jan-17 19:05:28

Decathlon have cheap skiing clothes.
I'd say no you don't have them. If you are then caught using them, you can say you've got them back now.

user1483387154 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:06:57

If you dont want to (and I dont blame you) then just say you are sorry but you cant help out.
TX max and Aldi may have some left

nokidshere Thu 12-Jan-17 19:08:15

My 15 yr old was lent very expensive ski clothes from a friend. It was ds's first time and we didn't want to buy in case he hated it

He brought everything back in the same condition it was taken in and bought my friend a small gift to say thank you.

KathArtic Thu 12-Jan-17 19:36:41

Say"How funny? They've been sitting in the cupboard all these months and now you're the second person to ask to borrow them in a week! Sorry." (fake laugh optional)

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 12-Jan-17 19:53:09

I'm amazed so many would concoct a story. No, they cost a bomb, really sorry. End of. Why complicate things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now